I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 6.5 hours of sleep today, have eaten good, done two cups of coffee since 22:00 and I'm still having a hard time keeping my eyes open. Tomorrow I have a few days off, it can't come fast enough.

Got up at 6:30am today (yaay 2yr old) and played with the kiddo until about 11. Went to the store and then watched the playoff games while doing odds n ends around the house. Then it was dinner, bath, playing and finally books and get the young feller to bed. I just spent the last 3.5hrs organizing and planning for an upcoming move of my works cabinet from one datacenter to another as well as finish converting the last of our legacy physical servers to vms.

Now it's off to bed. If I'm lucky I think I can get six hours before I have to get up.

Anyone else having problems with the site this morning. Every now and then it is taking forever to load a page and I mean minutes long for me. I do not think it is at my end either since I can go anywhere else on the net and it is just flying fast

The site has been sucking lately, especially over the weekend. It seems to be a little better today.

Good that means it is not just me having issues with it. Couple of times today it seemed a little less than damn slow but for the most part down right lethargic today

Well I've really enjoyed the company on here but I am done with the site.

There are a lot of small minded and self righteous people everywhere. The problem is that they don't see themselves as small minded or self righteous. Like it or not we all have to deal with them everywhere. They have little regard for history or tradition and can only deal with issues emotionally instead of intellectually. Don't let them get you down and for God's sake don't let them drive you away. That's the only way they can win.

There are a lot of small minded and self righteous people everywhere. The problem is that they don't see themselves as small minded or self righteous. Like it or not we all have to deal with them everywhere. They have little regard for history or tradition and can only deal with issues emotionally instead of intellectually. Don't let them get you down and for God's sake don't let them drive you away. That's the only way they can win.

I do not like small minded, self-righteous people. I try my best not to be that way, though sometimes maybe I do make an offensive comment. Just shows my own stupidity, at least I realize that. Look back at what I said after a few beers in me, realize that I am an idiot. Knowing your own shortcomings is a good thing. Live and learn.

My wife listened to my son talk about how his step dad really loves him, and I don't. And I'm weird and don't understand because I don't like video games. (His mom is a video game addict and me her husband online gaming while we were still married. I'm obviously not a fan)

I got to sit down and tell him that even though I didn't buy him a 42" tv for his room and I don't let him play video games has nothing to do with me loving him. And explain that he's only spent 3 1/2 weeks with him in the 2 years he's been their step dad. That he doesn't know what he'll be like.

Aaaahhhh parenthood.

Hang in there buddy. You're doing the right thing and have the right values. It will take some time.

Okay it's not late night but I haven't really slept in a few days so I'm ready for bed. Here's a cheese press I made. Calibrated it today from 10 - 80 pounds in 10 pound increments.That's a 23 pound piece of concrete held on by the yellow nylon line creating 80 lbs of pressure on the the little white block of wood to the left. I'm an extreme newb to cheese making and don't think I'll need that much pressure but wanted to see if the stand would hold up. I'm going to try 46 pounds in few minutes.. I have steel toed boots on. Wish me luck.

cheese-press-loaded-down-with-23-pounds-58071.jpg

When I put 23 lbs on the first time the press moved around a little. This time I weighted it down with 110 pounds of garden brick so the stand didn't budge and the scale read 105 lbs. When I put on 46 pounds to the lever the scale got up to 180 but the stand started lifting and I pushed down but couldn't enough so took the weight off. I suppose if the stand didn't lift the weight would have been around 210. That goes with the trend I've seen each time the weight on the fulcrum is increased the pounds produced per pound increased. Wow! This is pretty neat stuff. Pretty sure I'll never need much over 50 pounds of pressure. Just playing around.

If you are going to use that to press cheese, why can't I use the thing I made?

paperpress.jpg

Cheese is tricky. I've only done mozzarella, and even that was challenging. AB, you can always PM Pumbaa for some pointers ;)

Dan, I love your design, you achieved the pounds of pressure you needed. In a round about way, but still...

I would NOT want to see that device in a dark alley, Dan ;). Good on ya! While Mrs. Goodness isnt a cheese MAKER per se, if she liked the cheese that device produced, I promise you she could educate just about any store associate about its attributes, and she herself could sell it to a lactose-intolerant dispepsic at market price ;).

Cheese good. Making ricotta cheese fun, like making wine, only faster.

Other cheese, don't know. I has no made any.

What's up guys. What'd I miss ;)

Let's see, the drunken recap. We lost a member, gained a cheese press and the NRA terrorized a bowl of cabbage? :tank:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would NOT want to see that device in a dark alley, Dan ;). Good on ya! While Mrs. Goodness isnt a cheese MAKER per se, if she liked the cheese that device produced, I promise you she could educate just about any store associate about its attributes, and she herself could sell it to a lactose-intolerant dispepsic at market price ;).
Sounds good, CG. I have no idea what I'm doing really but from what I've read it should work well. Much simpler ways of doing things but I usually take the hard way. We'll see, maybe Mrs Goodness can promote it someday! :D

Dan, I'm gonna have to sample some of that cheese before I can have an opinion.
It's will take awhile but I'll make some and we'll have some fresh warm bread as well. And if I get off my but mabye some fresh homebrew.

Dan, I love your design, you achieved the pounds of pressure you needed. In a round about way, but still...
Thanks BobbiLynn. Round about maybe but now that its calibrated it's plug and play, well sort of.

Airborneguy said:
I brought in leftovers tonight but I'm considering eating good today. Any suggestions?

There was this pizza place on st marks I like Srombolli, I think. Haven't been there in like ten years

I like mushy cabbage too, don't understand what the problem is...

When I was a kid I thought boiled cabbage was disgusting. As an adult love it! My ex used to slice cabbage the size of coleslaw, cut up bacon and fry it throw the sliced cabbage in the bacon and bacon grease and saute. Toss in black pepper a little salt and hot sauce add a little water and steam till it got soft. Delicious. Also nothing better than mushy cabbage and corned beef. Also cabbage on the grill. Sliced up in quarters wrapped in foil and grilled till the outside of the cabbage is black and carmelized but the inside is soft and sweet. There is also a Kahlua pig and cabbage, more soft cabbage. All great.

Crunchie cabbage. Coleslaw?

Latest posts

Back