I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i said I was off for the night
probably not true you see in your sight
i'm not going to capitalize cause that shift key is broken
and for sure really guys, i'm not doing some toke-n
who brought up that riddle thread?
must have been LRB; enough said
He is the greatest riddle master ever!
i'm not kidding, and ischiavo really is not
a bed wetter
man i remember those times so well
that thread overcame for me some big swells
i love to have a few beers and rhynme
those riddles put my brain in overdrive
cause only on there my bad spelling and rhyming
gave truth to the world in that i'm not denying
good night for real this time for sure
i know where i'll always come back for a cure.:eek:

Dan, your thread was classic, and a two way street
A toast, a riddlle, and a few brews when we meet

LRB, that was a good thread
I'm pretty sure without you it would have been dead
I'd truly like to have a few brews with you
i'd like to bring my son if thats cool too
i'm heading down to SC for t-day
be pretty cool to meet you
i just have to say.

When the special grains arrive I am going to harvest the yeast from a can of Heady Topper that I almost literally stumbled onto. I got these today (pic). HopJizz. PassedPawn, I think I saw you in the HT thread, and if I remember right you brewed vegan's v4, if so, how did it come out?

!!!!!Hopjizz.jpg

LOL me either. And I actually have to think for a bit to solve a riddle. :mug:

I don't know if your remember or not, but i said i wouldn't post a riddle i didn't figure out first and i stuck to that for a long time. i had no ideA the thread would catch on or the riddles become so haRD. later in the thread i occasionally cheated with google.. truth be known.:eek:

I don't know if your remember or not, but i said i wouldn't post a riddle i didn't figure out first and i stuck to that for a long time. i had no ideA the thread would catch on or the riddles become so haRD. later in the thread i occasionally cheated with google.. truth be known.:eek:

Ah, temptation. Some of the riddles I'd heard before, or at least something similar. The rhyming requirement you put in was ingenious.

LabRatBrewer said:
Ah, temptation. Some of the riddles I'd heard before, or at least something similar. The rhyming requirement you put in was ingenious.

Ah LRB. Your kind words do I see.
Don't matter were from another thei

Dan said:
Ah LRB. Your kind words do I see. Don't matter were from another thei
. I'm bad at somee things like finishing a text. It's just who I am I get lost in the mex
You could say but never wl. My postings et night loose a bit thrill

When the special grains arrive I am going to harvest the yeast from a can of Heady Topper that I almost literally stumbled onto. I got these today (pic). HopJizz. PassedPawn, I think I saw you in the HT thread, and if I remember right you brewed vegan's v4, if so, how did it come out?

No, I haven't brewed it yet. It's on the agenda. If I can come up with some of that Conan yeast, I'll give it a shot.

My new brew closet. :) The basement space I was using has better fermentation temps, but I got really tired of running up and down the stairs when I wanted to brew something.

I bought an 18x36x72" plastic shelf. I've got a few of the larger versions of these in my storage room. I had some of the verticals leftover since I'm not using all the shelves at full height. So I cut some extensions from them for the new shelving unit. Usually they have 15" of space between shelves. So there wouldn't be enough space for a fermenting bucket and airlock. Hence the 5" extensions for two levels of the shelving. I ended up with one level left over.

I think this is much more useful then a coat closet anyway. :)

Brewcloset.jpg

Looks nice LG. If I were a beer brewer I'd worry about the temperatures, but you're a wine guy, right?

Does the closet happen to be adjacent to an outside wall of the house? If temp control became an issue a cheap wall unit with a temperature controller would fix you right up. But if you ever sold the house you'd have to explain why you were air conditioning a closet.

Looks nice LG. If I were a beer brewer I'd worry about the temperatures, but you're a wine guy, right?

Does the closet happen to be adjacent to an outside wall of the house? If temp control became an issue a cheap wall unit with a temperature controller would fix you right up. But if you ever sold the house you'd have to explain why you were air conditioning a closet.
Inside walls only unfortunately. It will be fine during the winter, but I might move the fermenters back to the basement when it starts to warm up in the summer.

Made some pizza tonight, used some frozen dough my mom gave me out of a desire to not waste food. Last time I use other peoples dough. It was decent pizza, but the dough was tough and chewy. Pissed. One of the pizzas had about $10 worth of golden chanterelles on it, and a pack of top notch goat cheese. Mom is a great cook and baker, but she hates to waste food too and I have no idea how long that dough was frozen.

I am getting pretty weird about knowing the temperatures of certain spots of my house and shed in all seasons. My equipment room is right at 60F so I am trying to brew ales while the temps are good. We have some cool fall weather coming so it will soon fall into the mid 50s, below which is when most ale yeasts tend to go dormant.

I'm mulling over getting a Fermwrap and a controller - that would let me ferment ales through the winter as my equipment room never falls below 50F, but I'm brewing as often as my schedule will allow anyway so that probably won't help much. I hope to get a few more ale batches banged out, then I think I will attempt a lager over this winter.

Life is crazy here. Too much to get into but hubby says I finally outdid myself. All my crazy activities, this time I put the icing on the cake. But, he's okay with it because he knows I am off my rocker. :cross::cross:

It's okay Bobbi, a little crazy keeps life interesting! ;)

I'm sitting at the gate in Honolulu airport. Got here 2hours before my flight departs. No lines, most of the people going through the security checkpoint were airport workers. I asked the TSA agent why it was so quiet. He said because of the time change, that's weird though because hawaii doesn't observe the time change and my flight is still leaving at the same time. I'm not complaining but am freezing my butt off in this airport. Not sure why the air conditioning is set so cold.

Back to the dusty California valley, pollution and the smell of dairy farms - home :)

Life is crazy here. Too much to get into but hubby says I finally outdid myself. All my crazy activities, this time I put the icing on the cake. But, he's okay with it because he knows I am off my rocker. :cross::cross:
Interesting, things are kinda the opposite for me. Really just slowing down. Since it's getting colder, all of the outdoor stuff with my house is on hold. So are most of my other projects. My garage isn't exactly balmy right now.

Works slowed down a few months ago. It will probably stay that way until February.

I'm a little worried about money, lots of things happening at once. Nothing horrible, just things that need to get done in a fairly short amount of time and are kinda expensive.

I need some minor repairs done on my truck. I've got a linkage that's worn out and needs to be replace. New tires, alignment, fuel filter replacement. I'm still trying to setup my guest room, and that is going slowly. Fortunately, I don't need it to be warm to work on that. It's a little expensive too though. I need to furnish a room. I can get some things from second hand places, but a new queen sized bed is a bit of money. I'm putting together Christmas too. Of course all the usual bills. With what I spent on the keezer last month things are just going to be a bit tight for a couple of months.

I'm sitting at the gate in Honolulu airport. Got here 2hours before my flight departs. No lines, most of the people going through the security checkpoint were airport workers. I asked the TSA agent why it was so quiet. He said because of the time change, that's weird though because hawaii doesn't observe the time change and my flight is still leaving at the same time. I'm not complaining but am freezing my butt off in this airport. Not sure why the air conditioning is set so cold.

Back to the dusty California valley, pollution and the smell of dairy farms - home :)
That reminds me, I need to set my clock back.

I am getting pretty weird about knowing the temperatures of certain spots of my house and shed in all seasons. My equipment room is right at 60F so I am trying to brew ales while the temps are good. We have some cool fall weather coming so it will soon fall into the mid 50s, below which is when most ale yeasts tend to go dormant.

I'm mulling over getting a Fermwrap and a controller - that would let me ferment ales through the winter as my equipment room never falls below 50F, but I'm brewing as often as my schedule will allow anyway so that probably won't help much. I hope to get a few more ale batches banged out, then I think I will attempt a lager over this winter.

I have a remote probe in my brewshop, my truck and my ferm chamber. Only the one in the brewshop is working anymore. The one in the truck was nice when it was -20. I wouldn't even bother to go out until it was at least 50 in the truck. I have a new work van now so I'm going to have to get that set up.

Get one of those dual Love controllers. I have built two controllers for my chest freezers already. The problem is that you can use them on any refrigeration unit so my buddy borrowed one and I haven't seen it for a while. They are perfect for lagering. If it's cold, just plug in a little space heater and set it at 50.

Have a safe trip Dan. I was never cold in my 10 days in Hawaii. The Maui airport was open air (I remember because I could smoke).

I am so sick of this $hit:

We all know that insurance companies are F'n us every way they can but this is the worst commecial they ever made and it just won't go away! Please die Geico.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, things are kinda the opposite for me. Really just slowing down. Since it's getting colder, all of the outdoor stuff with my house is on hold. So are most of my other projects. My garage isn't exactly balmy right now.

Works slowed down a few months ago. It will probably stay that way until February.

I'm a little worried about money, lots of things happening at once. Nothing horrible, just things that need to get done in a fairly short amount of time and are kinda expensive.

I need some minor repairs done on my truck. I've got a linkage that's worn out and needs to be replace. New tires, alignment, fuel filter replacement. I'm still trying to setup my guest room, and that is going slowly. Fortunately, I don't need it to be warm to work on that. It's a little expensive too though. I need to furnish a room. I can get some things from second hand places, but a new queen sized bed is a bit of money. I'm putting together Christmas too. Of course all the usual bills. With what I spent on the keezer last month things are just going to be a bit tight for a couple of months.

That reminds me, I need to set my clock back.

I can so relate. You will be OK. Now tell me that I'll be OK too...

I can relate to money troubles too. :( In fact, trying to come up with some money is how I almost got myself and 2 friends arrested. I had to take all the blame in order to cover for my friends. And that made me look really bad. Luckily, family loves me and talked the guy out of calling the cops on me. What started as a recycling effort turned into grand theft and I have no idea how that happened. Things just got out of control. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Anyway, just glad I am not in prison right now. Being insane, and having papers to prove it, has it's perks. I just stare blankly and look confused. :cross:

What the hell are you talking about? It sounds as if there might be a good story in there somewhere though.

I'm talking about scrap metal!! You know, copper, aluminum, steel... you take it in and they give you cash. But the weight of the trailor was making my friend's vehicle almost drag on the ground so I had to "borrow" a big diesel truck and trailor. Skip ahead to 5 loads and 2 days later and all the bills are paid. We were able to haul almost 2 tons per load. There is a neighborhood a mile or so from here and everyone started to "help". Loading us up with scrap metal. A recycling effort that got out of control. If someone wanted the stuff, they should have come by 20 or 30 years ago to pick it up. Now hubby says my scrap metaling days are over. If we hadn't made the neighborhood looks so clean, no one would have even noticed the stuff was missing. All the sudden, that piece of metal nearly buried in the woods was something very valuable. The guys from the sheriff's department said if they wanted me arrested, they would have to prove intent. But since I had all the scrap metal money in an envelope with all the receipts, they knew I did not intend to steal. I thought we were cleaning up and recycling!!!

BobbiLynn said:
I'm talking about scrap metal!! You know, copper, aluminum, steel... you take it in and they give you cash. But the weight of the trailor was making my friend's vehicle almost drag on the ground so I had to "borrow" a big diesel truck and trailor. Skip ahead to 5 loads and 2 days later and all the bills are paid. We were able to haul almost 2 tons per load. There is a neighborhood a mile or so from here and everyone started to "help". Loading us up with scrap metal. A recycling effort that got out of control. If someone wanted the stuff, they should have come by 20 or 30 years ago to pick it up. Now hubby says my scrap metaling days are over. If we hadn't made the neighborhood looks so clean, no one would have even noticed the stuff was missing. All the sudden, that piece of metal nearly buried in the woods was something very valuable. The guys from the sheriff's department said if they wanted me arrested, they would have to prove intent. But since I had all the scrap metal money in an envelope with all the receipts, they knew I did not intend to steal. I thought we were cleaning up and recycling!!!

Glad it all worked out Bobbi. You're a pillar of green in your community now, an icon of responsible environmentalism. You didn't just make some money, you're saving the planet. I once heard something about BobbiLynn. "BobbiLynn doesn't do push-ups, she pushes the world away from her. Erg. Maybe that was about chuck Norris. You two have some same qualities. And, that's a compliment in case you're wondering. :)

Yeah I know what scrap metal is and since I used to live very close to you I feel I can translate so everyone else can comprehend what you just said.

You and your buddy were driving around scrapping when you found a gold mine real close to home. Your buddies truck wasn't cutting it because this was the haul of a lifetime, so you stole somebodies truck that wouldn't know it was missing. With the new transport you head back to the neighborhood and start pillaging under the guise of helping clean up. It's a damn good haul, some people freely give you items. However there's other stuff around and eventually the clean up effort wanders onto all the surrounding property gathering the property owner's hoard of treasure, without their knowledge, to turn in to the scrap dealer. The jig appears to be up when someone notices their stuff is missing and they call the sheriff. When they arrive you play it off as a neighborhood cleanup, 'look I have all the receipts and cash in my pocket.' Where it stays after you haul ass hack home after the sheriff leaves. ;)

I was right, there was a good story in there...

What the hell are you talking about? It sounds as if there might be a good story in there somewhere though.

Yeah I know what scrap metal is and since I used to live very close to you I feel I can translate so everyone else can comprehend what you just said.

You and your buddy were driving around scrapping when you found a gold mine real close to home. Your buddies truck wasn't cutting it because this was the haul of a lifetime, so you stole somebodies truck that wouldn't know it was missing. With the new transport you head back to the neighborhood and start pillaging under the guise of helping clean up. It's a damn good haul, some people freely give you items. However there's other stuff around and eventually the clean up effort wanders onto all the surrounding property gathering the property owner's hoard of treasure, without their knowledge, to turn in to the scrap dealer. The jig appears to be up when someone notices their stuff is missing and they call the sheriff. When they arrive you play it off as a neighborhood cleanup, 'look I have all the receipts and cash in my pocket.' Where it stays after you haul ass hack home after the sheriff leaves. ;)

I was right, there was a good story in there...

Yep, thanks for the translation!!!

And what Dan said, I was just trying to save the planet. That's what I told the cops. And. yep, I did get to keep all the money. :rockin:

Also, he would not have known the truck was used except it's a black truck with a red fender piece and someone spotted me driving it, told on me.

Well done.

Haha, thanks. Everyone in the neighborhood was getting into the effort. They were picking up cans and everything. But there is a man that I will just call Dave M. He owns a bunch of property near us and rents it out. He doesn't give a **** about anyone but himself. I stood up to him when his properties were leaking sewage onto our property. Instead of fixing the problem, he had a couple big loads of dirt brought in to cover it up. That infuriated both hubby and I and we forced him to fix the problem for real by threatening to report him. He was expecting people to pay him to live there with sewage all up in their yards. This was 2 or 3 years ago. Anyway, same guy that tried to have me arrested. **** Dave M. Noone likes him and the whole neighborhood took my side. Who wants sewage floating in their yard? No one does. Who wants to ride through the neighborhood and see a bunch of trash? No one does. Dave M. can go **** himself.

There are two sides to every story, you know that. I support yours BobbiLynn, if that counts to you. I'm not a world is going to end because of man, type of person. But do believe we could be better to our Mother Earth and help this planet and our enjoyment of it. To call man more powerful than nature, and the creator of it regardless of name given, is arrogant Man is but a nuisance on this planet, nothing more. When we all learn to take care of the planet better we'll probably all take better care of each other. Not sure if that is the chicken or egg first.

I think, regardless of how you got it done or whatever the motivation was,; you helped helped take care of your world. Made it a little better place.

Back