I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
~ 5.5% seems to be my cutoff for beers. I really can't drink wine fast enough to get into trouble, and I tend to have it with meals which softens the blow.

SNPA ~5.6% ABV makes for a nice tasty evening that I will remember the next day.

9.5% Russian Imperial Stout at the Trinity Brew Pub in Providence - still not sure how I got back to the hotel that night. The lady at the front desk smiled knowingly at me the next day for some reason.

30%+ Tequila (not since my college days) - not sure how I evaded the police, and where did these panties come from?
I remember this one party I went to. A buddy of mine and myself ended up drinking, according to the tally board; six beers, 1/4 bottle of rum, and 1/2 bottle of tequila each. We were also the only ones awake at that party when the sun came up. He's the only one I've ever had a drink with that could hold as much liquor as I can.

I remember that party fairly well, but I couldn't have told you how much we drank without looking at the board.

I'm also the only one who has ever been able to match him drink for drink. I think we both left that party moderately impressed. No panties though. :(

There is a really big gap between tipsy and drunk, and another one almost as large from drunk to passed out drunk. If I don't have any caffeine with my alcohol, I just go to sleep when I've had to much. Not pass out mind, I can stay awake. I'm just so nice and relaxed that I tend to nod off. That happens before the nausea, or memory difficulty. I've only actually thrown up from drinking to much once. The same for the memory blankness. Only once. Once was enough to tell me I didn't want to do either of those again.

I made the switch to mostly beer during college, as the heavy stuff really got to be no fun very quickly.

However, a few years ago my wife and I were invited to a Halloween party at one of her former students' houses. She was a nurse and her husband was a lawyer. I never saw so much alcohol (all top shelf stuff) in one place in my entire life. They had 6 kiddie pools filled with ice and every beer you could imagine. Pure agave tequila (Jose Cuervo is the vilest hooch on the planet compared with this stuff). These were all grown up business people, but I felt like I was at a frat party at college again - all the women were dressed up as slutty policewomen/devils/nurses, and they had an ice luge for the shots. Freaking insane.

My wife just took the car keys from me and said "Have fun". 20 years ago that would have been a license for mayhem and cause for the governor to call out the National Guard, but I just had a few beers, had a shot of tequila, enjoyed watching the jiggly drunken office ladies, and called it an evening. I'm not a college kid anymore and I'm actually OK with that.

I won't ruin Stauff's buzz with my BJCP thoughts. :p

I can relate with what your thoughts might be. My thoughts are likely similar. Despite their "training" I realize their feedback and scores are subjective and very much influenced by their personal tastes. It was still nice to read what other beer lovers thought about my beer, though. I take it all with a grain of salt..

I can relate with what your thoughts might be. My thoughts are likely similar. Despite their "training" I realize their feedback and scores are subjective and very much influenced by their personal tastes. It was still nice to read what other beer lovers thought about my beer, though. I take it all with a grain of salt..

I've thought about submitting my beers for judging, but I am conflicted. Most of my beer goes into my own belly, so for now I think I am the only judge that really matters.

I made the switch to mostly beer during college, as the heavy stuff really got to be no fun very quickly.

However, a few years ago my wife and I were invited to a Halloween party at one of her former students' houses. She was a nurse and her husband was a lawyer. I never saw so much alcohol (all top shelf stuff) in one place in my entire life. They had 6 kiddie pools filled with ice and every beer you could imagine. Pure agave tequila (Jose Cuervo is the vilest hooch on the planet compared with this stuff). These were all grown up business people, but I felt like I was at a frat party at college again - all the women were dressed up as slutty policewomen/devils/nurses, and they had an ice luge for the shots. Freaking insane.

My wife just took the car keys from me and said "Have fun". 20 years ago that would have been a license for mayhem and cause for the governor to call out the National Guard, but I just had a few beers, had a shot of tequila, enjoyed watching the jiggly drunken office ladies, and called it an evening. I'm not a college kid anymore and I'm actually OK with that.
SO...How do I get invited to this years party? :D

I don't actually go to many parties. Usually the people there are to stupid and/or drunk for me to enjoy talking to them. I get bored very quickly, and end up leaving. The one party where I was one of two people conscious at the end was the exception to the rule. :)

I mean, I don't really care if she's cute if I can flatten her intellectually without trying. Stupidity is, to me anyway, the biggest turn off on the planet.

Adding salt to your mash is generally frowned upon. :p

SO...How do I get invited to this years party? :D

I don't actually go to many parties. Usually the people there are to stupid and/or drunk for me to enjoy talking to them. I get bored very quickly, and end up leaving. The one party where I was one of two people conscious at the end was the exception to the rule. :)

I mean, I don't really care if she's cute if I can flatten her intellectually without trying. Stupidity is, to me anyway, the biggest turn off on the planet.

That Halloween party was pretty interesting. A lot of very smart folks from biotech. The women were...wow - smart, curvy, and could drink an Irishman under the table. But my SWMBO is pretty wow herself.

Mike congratulations brother! Sounds as though you did well and you were already aware of most the detractors.

I seem to remember you mentioning a brewing position offer? If my memory is correct. Is it still an option?

Congrats again!

Cheers man!

I've thought about submitting my beers for judging, but I am conflicted. Most of my beer goes into my own belly, so for now I think I am the only judge that really matters.
I used to feel the same way. As a matter of fact I used to always say I would never enter a competition. When my friends heard about the competition they strongly encouraged me to enter, so I did. It was fun, I'm glad to have feedback, but I try not to take it too seriously. At the end of the day I brew beer for me and only according to my personal tastes.
Mike congratulations brother! Sounds as though you did well and you were already aware of most the detractors.

I seem to remember you mentioning a brewing position offer? If my memory is correct. Is it still an option?

Congrats again!

Cheers man!
Dan, thanks my brother!

The brewery plans took a dump for now. The guys I was networking with ended up splitting their partnership on the restaurant, and now the one guy that still owns it is in no position for expansion at the moment. The dream is still alive, though..

Stauffbier said:
The dream is still alive, though..

As well it should be Mike. Really hoping for you this deal works out, but do know if it doesn't this time, it's not a lost opportunity but a better opportunity is coming. I'm at a crossroads in life. If you need some help finding decent knowledgable workers at your start up brewery let me know. I can't help with money, no longer in that position but give me a cause and place to sleep and I'll give you my all.

Hope that doesn't sound weird. I've had a few to many glasses of wine. (18% abv)

BTW. I'm not homeless. Just saying if you need some help ill need a place to sleep while there....boy, this Sherry is strong stuff!! 😄

Dan said:
As well it should be Mike. Really hoping for you this deal works out, but do know if it doesn't this time, it's not a lost opportunity but a better opportunity is coming. I'm at a crossroads in life. If you need some help finding decent knowledgable workers at your start up brewery let me know. I can't help with money, no longer in that position but give me a cause and place to sleep and I'll give you my all. Hope that doesn't sound weird. I've had a few to many glasses of wine. (18% abv) BTW. I'm not homeless. Just saying if you need some help ill need a place to sleep while there....boy, this Sherry is strong stuff!! dde04

Okay, maybe that strong wine I drank making me insecure. When I said money, I just meant investment money. I reread my post and it looks like I'm broke. Not, but mortgages and bills to pay and no cash to invest. I do have a drowning need for work and job satisfaction

Thunder_Chicken said:
Felix Baumgartner's jump from 128,000 ft, POV camera. Achieved Mach 1.24 in freefall.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raiFrxbHxV0

I watched with my grandson, who was three at the time. We had the laptop and the big TV going. He was very interested, but I know he couldn't have understood what he was seeing.

As well it should be Mike. Really hoping for you this deal works out, but do know if it doesn't this time, it's not a lost opportunity but a better opportunity is coming. I'm at a crossroads in life. If you need some help finding decent knowledgable workers at your start up brewery let me know. I can't help with money, no longer in that position but give me a cause and place to sleep and I'll give you my all.

Hope that doesn't sound weird. I've had a few to many glasses of wine. (18% abv)

BTW. I'm not homeless. Just saying if you need some help ill need a place to sleep while there....boy, this Sherry is strong stuff!! ��

Dan, you're good people my friend!

It would be my pleasure and honor to have you by my side in a brewery. If I ever do make it you will always be welcome to come brew with me!

I like the idea of your wine. I've actually been in the mood for a good wine lately. I don't drink wine very often at all, but when I do I really enjoy it.

My test batch of peach juice/honey melomel stuff has slowed and is starting to clear. I'll let it sit another week or two and check gravity. I imagine it will be ready to rack to secondary soon...

I plan on making the "real" , larger batch of peach wine with my homegrown peaches in the next week or two. I'm also brewing a dopplebock soon. My first real attempt at a lager.

Okay, maybe that strong wine I drank making me insecure. When I said money, I just meant investment money. I reread my post and it looks like I'm broke. Not, but mortgages and bills to pay and no cash to invest. I do have a drowning need for work and job satisfaction

No worries brother. I knew what you meant.

I really need to look in to kickstarter and other financial options for starting a brewery. It's just hard to find the time and energy with the fact I'm already self-employed. Sometime the thought of starting another business overwhelms me, but I sure would love to open a brewery.

It has been an exhausting week despite being a short week due to Columbus day. I had a nice dinner, a bottle of wine, and I am so bleary eyed and exhausted that I think I will sleep quite soundly tonight. I sort of want to stay awake just a little longer, as I feel that I will sleep all the better the more tired I get. It's not going to take long.

I watched with my grandson, who was three at the time. We had the laptop and the big TV going. He was very interested, but I know he couldn't have understood what he was seeing.
May I join the conversation? That reminds me of watching the first lunar landing on TV. I had just joined the Navy. Dunno if they still do it, but back then they had 'boot liberty': you got your first day outside the gates the Saturday or Sunday before you graduated. I headed out with a buddy to visit his aunt and uncle, and after we were settled in the uncle asked, 'what are you boys drinking?'

My buddy said scotch, so I said bourbon. Instead of heading to the kitchen, Uncle headed out the door. He came back from the liquor store and tossed a bottle into each of our laps.... So I watched the lunar landing with a hand over one eye, to keep from seeing it twice. It got old switching hands, because I had to switch my drink each time. :)

troy2000 said:
May I join the conversation? That reminds me of watching the first lunar landing on TV. I had just joined the Navy. Dunno if they still do it, but back then they had 'boot liberty': you got your first day outside the gates the Saturday or Sunday before you graduated. I headed out with a buddy to visit his aunt and uncle, and after we were settled in the uncle asked, 'what are you boys drinking?' My buddy said scotch, so I said bourbon. Instead of heading to the kitchen, Uncle headed out the door.... came back a few minutes later, and tossed a bottle into each of our laps. So I watched the lunar landing with a hand over one eye, to keep from seeing it twice. It got old switching hands, because I had to switch my drink each time. :)

If there were a way to LIKE on a phone I would, so just take this as one of them 😄

How old are you? Only asking cause at first you reminded me at that age in the Navy, then I thought you might be much younger. Then had the thought you haven't been in a long time. But I'm lost. (A bit inebriated too).

What?

Stauffbier said:
No worries brother. I knew what you meant. I really need to look in to kickstarter and other financial options for starting a brewery. It's just hard to find the time and energy with the fact I'm already self-employed. Sometime the thought of starting another business overwhelms me, but I sure would love to open a brewery.

There's a saying for that, sort of. "Been there done that". Quite understandable. Youthfulness. I'm not talking about age but about knew ness. When a young person experiences something new it's just that. New and wonderful. As we get older new stuff is no longer new but old; we've been there and done that. I truly hope you take a shot at this dream, Mike. If there were something I found to believe in at this stage of life I'd jump in feet first. Geronimo!!! And all that!

There's a saying for that, sort of. "Been there done that". Quite understandable. Youthfulness. I'm not talking about age but about knew ness. When a young person experiences something new it's just that. New and wonderful. As we get older new stuff is no longer new but old; we've been there and done that. I truly hope you take a shot at this dream, Mike. If there were something I found to believe in at this stage of life I'd jump in feet first. Geronimo!!! And all that!

If opportunity knocks (and I'm listening) I'll answer, but I'm not sure if I'm ambitious enough to chase after things the way I did in my 20's. There is definitely truth in what you say regarding youth!

Good Evening, I am planning an IIPA loosely based on Port 15. (they use 15 hops). I'd like to use as many of the following as possible. Are there any that just could not play together?

Listed from bittering to aroma though there will be overlap. Belma, Warrior, CTZ, Nugget, Styrian Golding, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Citra.

I also have Hallertau (sorry I am too tired to spell).

Good Evening, I am planning an IIPA loosely based on Port 15. (they use 15 hops). I'd like to use as many of the following as possible. Are there any that just could not play together?

Listed from bittering to aroma though there will be overlap. Belma, Warrior, CTZ, Nugget, Styrian Golding, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Citra.

I also have Hallertau (sorry I am too tired to spell).

I've used Warrior, Nugget, Cascade, Centennial, simcoe, and Citra together with good results. I also like getting some Chinook, Columbus, and summit in the mix. It gets a little busy with that many varieties, but if you space them out right it can be very nice.

I've used Warrior, Nugget, Cascade, Centennial, simcoe, and Citra together with good results. I also like getting some Chinook, Columbus, and summit in the mix. It gets a little busy with that many varieties, but if you space them out right it can be very nice.

Apparently, they did like a 3 hour boil, I am looking 90 to 120 minutes. I have been doing a lot of baby beers, so it'll be nice to try to go very big. (and I got a o2 system for my birthday that I need to break in).

If opportunity knocks (and I'm listening) I'll answer, but I'm not sure if I'm ambitious enough to chase after things the way I did in my 20's. There is definitely truth in what you say regarding youth!

Well true, but wouldn't you be an earnest young man if a new opportunity to do something you found out later in life you really enjoy.

Ergh... maybe I'm doing some dreaming through you bro. I haven't found anything to do with the rest of my life after a career in the Navy which only took me to 48 years old. It was my life! Now, reaping some of the benefits but still young. Put my orders in to transfer to the Navy Fleet Reserve (it wasn't really a choice - Navy said I hit high year tenure and it was time to go after 26 years)
I have a great job but not in the place my wife wants to live. I can get good jobs here in CA but in Hawaii with my skill set? I haven't found much need for them there.

Since I'm just doing a life dump here, might as well say my marriage sucks and its the second one. Some people say they have no regrets.. Me, mine I mostly regret. Never regret having my children but regret divorcing their mom. The two of us took a vow and should have made a great life for them.

Dan's truth be known.

Now everybody knows a little more about me but there is no need to reply. I've just drunk to much sherry.

Well true, but wouldn't you be an earnest young man if a new opportunity to do something you found out later in life you really enjoy.

Ergh... maybe I'm doing some dreaming through you bro. I haven't found anything to do with the rest of my life after a career in the Navy which only took me to 48 years old. It was my life! Now, reaping some of the benefits but still young. Put my orders in to transfer to the Navy Fleet Reserve (it wasn't really a choice - Navy said I hit high year tenure and it was time to go after 26 years)
I have a great job but not in the place my wife wants to live. I can get good jobs here in CA but in Hawaii with my skill set? I haven't found much need for them there.

Since I'm just doing a life dump here, might as well say my marriage sucks and its the second one. Some people say they have no regrets.. Me, mine I mostly regret. Never regret having my children but regret divorcing their mom. The two of us took a vow and should have made a great life for them.

Dan's truth be known.

Now everybody knows a little more about me but there is no need to reply. I've just drunk to much sherry.

When are you scheduled to go to HI?

Apparently, they did like a 3 hour boil, I am looking 90 to 120 minutes. I have been doing a lot of baby beers, so it'll be nice to try to go very big. (and I got a o2 system for my birthday that I need to break in).
3 hour boil? That's epic! Even 120 min is epic for that matter. How big you planning on going gravity wise?

Dan's truth be known.

I can relate Dan. My marriage sucked too. After my divorce I stayed single. that's been 15 years. I've been in quite a few relationships, but I always run with my tail tucked between my legs when things get serious. Raising my daughter was my life. Now she's grown up, and I find myself with nothing to do. So I started brewing.

I'm drunk too. Cheers Dan!

I think that's enough drunken rambling from me for one night. I'm going to a half-assed Oktoberfest celebration at the restaurant I was trying to make a brewery deal with tomorrow. They're gonna have brats, German tatter salad, and spaetzle, along with everyday German beers to include Oktoberfests from a couple breweries. Time for my beauty sleep.

Over and out!

3 hour boil? That's epic! Even 120 min is epic for that matter. How big you planning on going gravity wise?

I can relate Dan. My marriage sucked too. After my divorce I stayed single. that's been 15 years. I've been in quite a few relationships, but I always run with my tail tucked between my legs when things get serious. Raising my daughter was my life. Now she's grown up, and I find myself with nothing to do. So I started brewing.

I'm drunk too. Cheers Dan!

I set the recipe ((nearly all base malts (2 row and Marris)) for 10% but I expect to lost some efficiency with such a large brew.

Dan, I am not on late at night so often because of a great marriage. It used to be, but...used to be is a thin branch to hang on.

When are you scheduled to go to HI?

I'm not scheduled, LRB. I plan to go early next year for no good productive reason other than I don't want taxed on the loan I took from my work savings plan. It's only a loan until I quit before paying it all off, then its income and taxable; right?..

Why do you ask?

I'm not scheduled, LRB. I plan to go early next year for no good productive reason other than I don't want taxed on the loan I took from my work savings plan. It's only a loan until I quit before paying it all off, then its income and taxable; right?..

Why do you ask?

Just making sure I haven't missed that you are already there.

LRB, finding a bright side, good for both of us I guess.. hell, if not there would never have been a Riddle Thread. I never even figured out many of them but sure did enjoy the place and great people like you my friend. That thread saved me from myself. When I figured one out it felt pretty pleasing.. When I didn't I was just in awe by the answers .

Win win situation, I'm sure glad you embraced it. Wouldn't be the same if you didn't.

My son lives on base Camp Pendelton and I try to visit him every few months. Is that far from where you live? I'd love to have a beer with you around Thanksgiving.

LRB, finding a bright side, good for both of us I guess.. hell, if not there would never have been a Riddle Thread. I never even figured out many of them but sure did enjoy the place and great people like you my friend. That thread saved me from myself. When I figured one out it felt pretty pleasing.. When I didn't I was just in awe by the answers .

Win win situation, I'm sure glad you embraced it. Wouldn't be the same if you didn't.

My son lives on base Camp Pendelton and I try to visit him every few months. Is that far from where you live? I'd love to have a beer with you around Thanksgiving.

Its not too terrible far away. Maybe we could meet for a brew. There are some great breweries in the general area that I'd love to visit. PM when you have an idea when you'll be down. That'd be great. :mug:

I just received my hop order 18 varieties 15lbs total. I had read somewhere about the bittering of Apollo Hops. I am running a SmaSh hop today starting at 9:30 (I'm usually finishing at that time)

Good job, Stauff, I watched a friend of mine run a brew pub and restaurant for 3 years 16-18 hour days. They closed Monday only. He ran a 3bbl set-up sounded like fun til you have try it AND make enough profit. He ended up selling for a great profit the place went downhill in a hurry failed in just 2 years. As I get older the less I want to put in those hours may just be me. I worked full time since 16 worked on an Amish farm/paper route from 8 til then. Growing up we where taught that you worked hard then retied in your 50's.

Dan, your to hard on yourself. It takes two to Tango, 1 cannot hold 2 together your children know this or will eventually. Long distance relationships are rough, hang in there my friend.

Now I have what should be focaccia dough in my fridge. :)

I wasn't sure what kind of yeast I should use for the poolish, so it was just the active dry yeast I usually use for bread.

Picture one is of poolish soup. That's the water, honey, and olive oil with the poolish in it. Stirred that all until it was fully integrated. Picture two is of the dough with everything in it resting in the pan. That is a non-stick pan. Not my usual choice for bread, but this is really sticky dough. The pan was oiled first.

Sorry I don't have more pictures of the process. I didn't want to stop and wash up, or get my camera all oily.

I decided to go ahead and premix the dry ingredients. Since I was weighing them out, that wasn't really any extra effort. I would have made this last night, but I had to get IDY and unbleached flour. I couldn't find any diastatic malt in the supermarket, so that has been omitted.

Hmm, I'm now wondering why this recipe calls for bread flour? It isn't worked that much, so not a lot of gluten development. What do you think TN, how well is this likely to work if it was made with AP flour?

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

Leadgolem said:
Now I have what should be focaccia dough in my fridge. :) I wasn't sure what kind of yeast I should use for the poolish, so it was just the active dry yeast I usually use for bread. Picture one is of poolish soup. That's the water, honey, and olive oil with the poolish in it. Stirred that all until it was fully integrated. Picture two is of the dough with everything in it resting in the pan. That is a non-stick pan. Not my usual choice for bread, but this is really sticky dough. The pan was oiled first. Sorry I don't have more pictures of the process. I didn't want to stop and wash up, or get my camera all oily. I decided to go ahead and premix the dry ingredients. Since I was weighing them out, that wasn't really any extra effort. I would have made this last night, but I had to get IDY and unbleached flour. I couldn't find any diastatic malt in the supermarket, so that has been omitted. Hmm, I'm now wondering why this recipe calls for bread flour? It isn't worked that much, so not a lot of gluten development. What do you think TN, how well is this likely to work if it was made with AP flour?

Yeah, works with ap. you'd want to cut liquid back or dough would be even wetter. Time will make gluten as surely as mechanically manipulating dough. Nice job panning it. You must be a wee bit anal retentive. ;) I'm guessing you didn't stretch and fold as much as you should have, but time should fix that. I've go IDY coming out of my ears. Bought way to much at the end of last year before I scaled business back. If you want a pound of yeast and some malt powder, cover the shipping and it's yours.

Latest posts

Back