I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
African or European swallow?

Intended batches:
1. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. (Control)
2. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 179 grams water. (50%)
3. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 358 grams water. (100%)
4. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 465 grams water. (130%)
5. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 537 grams water. (150%)
6. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 4.5 tsp crushed RYR. (RYR Control)
7. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 179 grams water. 4.5 tsp crushed RYR. (50%)
8. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 358 grams water. 4.5 tsp crushed RYR. (100%)
9. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 465 grams water. 4.5 tsp crushed RYR. (130%)
10. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 537 grams water. 4.5 tsp crushed RYR. (150%)

I'm looking to find out what the additional water does to the wine. There has been a great deal of speculation that it is possible to increase the yield and decrease the sweetness of the wine by increasing the amount of water in the process.

EDIT: 358 grams of cooked sweet rice is about 3/4 of a cup of dry rice.

Now, for a random picture of a cat.
CatBeerGlass.jpg

Hey TN, what's this about opening a brewery?

Going to try and get a nano and tasting room open by mid 2014. Won't be anymore work than when I was kiling myelf to do 6 markets a week and should be more profitable. Numbers look good, working on business plan and then the all important financing. Although the longer the govt sits there pouting, the longer it will take for paperwork back log to clear. Hopefully they start acting like grown folks well before I need to file with TTB.

Going to try and get a nano and tasting room open by mid 2014. Won't be anymore work than when I was kiling myelf to do 6 markets a week and should be more profitable. Numbers look good, working on business plan and then the all important financing. Although the longer the govt sits there pouting, the longer it will take for paperwork back log to clear. Hopefully they start acting like grown folks well before I need to file with TTB.
Awesome! Good luck to you in your new business venture.

Brewing a Pumpkin Ale tomorrow. I think I'm going to split off a gallon and add serranos to it. Kick it up a touch.

That may be the most disgusting beer idea I've ever heard. Throw some smoke malt in there, sour mash, and ferment with 3711 and it couldn't be worse.

Exactly. Worst. Beer. Ever.

Only reason I tried it was because someone brought it to a party and morbid curiousity yet again got the better of me. I already disliked him, but when he said he wouldn't drink any because he didn't eat pork, it started edging towards hate.

That may be the most disgusting beer idea I've ever heard. Throw some smoke malt in there, sour mash, and ferment with 3711 and it couldn't be worse.

Lol, Im not adding peppers to a pumpkin pie. Pumpkin, like spaghetti squash, has little flavor. I can split the batch and control the spices, if any. I may go 3 tradition with spices, 1 gallon pepper no pumpkin spices, 1 gallon pepper with pumpkin, and 3 held back for a late addition hop, no pumpkin spice.

1 gallon isn't much of a risk. :mug:.

Lol, Im not adding peppers to a pumpkin pie. Pumpkin, like spaghetti squash, has little flavor. I can split the batch and control the spices, if any. I may go 3 tradition with spices, 1 gallon pepper no pumpkin spices, 1 gallon pepper with pumpkin, and 3 held back for a late addition hop, no pumpkin spice.

You know, I've been kicking around with the idea of doing like 12 one quart batches of cider lately. I do batches that small with rice wine for experiments all the time.

In case you couldn't guess, I hate pumpkin beers, but it is because of the spices. I have to ask, why use an ingredient you won't be able to taste? Especiallty one with a reputation for sticking the mash. Funny you mention spaghetti squash, just pulled one out of the oven. Need to get a heavy cleaver at the asian market before I finally stab and/or slice myself with a chefs knife cutting one of those buggers open.

I generally don't like cleavers from Asia. They usually have blades that are kinda thin, IMO, for a cleaver. If you are really using them they sometimes flex at the wrong time. I like a heavier spined blade.

In case you couldn't guess, I hate pumpkin beers, but it is because of the spices. I have to ask, why use an ingredient you won't be able to taste? Especiallty one with a reputation for sticking the mash. Funny you mention spaghetti squash, just pulled one out of the oven. Need to get a heavy cleaver at the asian market before I finally stab and/or slice myself with a chefs knife cutting one of those buggers open.

Like the spaghetti squash, we grew them. Have a couple for jack-o-lanterns. So, just to use them and last years was tasty. I go light on the spices.

Also, I use BIAB so sticky mash is not a problem. We have eggplants growing now. Never tried it, but I'll probably mash some too. (dont know what they are actually used for other than soup).

like the spaghetti squash, we grew them. Have a couple for jack-o-lanterns. So, just to use them and last years was tasty. I go light on the spices.

Also, i use biab so sticky mash is not a problem. We have eggplants growing now. Never tried it, but i'll probably mash some too. (dont know what they are actually used for other than soup).

eggplant parmesan!

Like the spaghetti squash, we grew them. Have a couple for jack-o-lanterns. So, just to use them and last years was tasty. I go light on the spices.

Also, I use BIAB so sticky mash is not a problem. We have eggplants growing now. Never tried it, but I'll probably mash some too. (dont know what they are actually used for other than soup).
I can't say I can remember ever having eggplant. Apparently it can be used in a few recipes though.

http://www.thekitchn.com/learning-to-love-eggplant-how-58940

In case you couldn't guess, I hate pumpkin beers, but it is because of the spices. I have to ask, why use an ingredient you won't be able to taste?

Butternut squash is often used by chefs for a better, more flavorful pumpkin character. I joke that it tastes more like pumpkin than even pumpkin itself does. I hear it also works perfectly for beer as well.

I generally don't like cleavers from Asia. They usually have blades that are kinda thin, IMO, for a cleaver. If you are really using them they sometimes flex at the wrong time. I like a heavier spined blade.

I agree. Almost all my kitchen knives are Japanese (eg Shun Elites), but a heavy German cleaver is an absolute must if you want a knife for that kind of job. Shuns are great but you definitely don't want to be ruining such fantastic knives on frozen blocks of foods, bones, etc.

The market I'm getting one from has cleavers that are about 1/4" thick or more on the spine. The big ones weigh a couple pounds, perfect for taking off a hogs foot, so I'm thinking squash won't be a problem. They also have giant woks for cheap. Want one of those to use on my homebrew burner. Will make making Pad Thai so muche easier!

Didn't keep a garden this year, the old redneck farmer's market is just to cheap for gardening to be worth the aggrevation. Am planning on planting fruit this spring.

I can't say I can remember ever having eggplant. Apparently it can be used in a few recipes though.

http://www.thekitchn.com/learning-to-love-eggplant-how-58940

Eggplant is great! Lots of asian options, Indian, Thai, you name it. Middle eastern, too.

Butternut squash is often used by chefs for a better, more flavorful pumpkin character. I joke that it tastes more like pumpkin than even pumpkin itself does. I hear it also works perfectly for beer as well.

I agree. Almost all my kitchen knives are Japanese (eg Shun Elites), but a heavy German cleaver is an absolute must if you want a knife for that kind of job. Shuns are great but you definitely don't want to be ruining such fantastic knives on frozen blocks of foods, bones, etc.

Canned pumpkin isn't pumpkin, it's a squash similar to butternut. But I agree, if I made a pumpkin beer or pie, not that I would, but if I did I'd use butternut.

From our little garden this year I've used for brewing: hops, peppers, squash, pumpkins, coriander, apples, oranges, lemons, and carrots. We have a rock turtle out there that does not like the way I look at him.

beaksnbeer said:
I believe I sent you a blank set up to make a clever style blade;)
Yup. :)

TNGabe said:
The market I'm getting one from has cleavers that are about 1/4" thick or more on the spine. The big ones weigh a couple pounds, perfect for taking off a hogs foot, so I'm thinking squash won't be a problem. They also have giant woks for cheap. Want one of those to use on my homebrew burner. Will make making Pad Thai so muche easier!
Sounds tasty. It's been a while since I've had a decent Pad Thai.
TNGabe said:
Canned pumpkin isn't pumpkin, it's a squash similar to butternut. But I agree, if I made a pumpkin beer or pie, not that I would, but if I did I'd use butternut.
Do you drink Dos Equis by chance? :D

LabRatBrewer said:
From our little garden this year I've used for brewing: hops, peppers, squash, pumpkins, coriander, apples, oranges, lemons, and carrots. We have a rock turtle out there that does not like the way I look at him.
Don't dry hop with turtle. Dry hop with crocodile, much better flavor. :fro:

I just watched a documentary called "Terms And Conditions May Apply". It's definitely worth a watch. It makes me very glad that, with the exception of forums where I assume all the data is public anyway, I don't use social networking services.

To the NSA, or any other alphabet soup that wants to monitor my data, why don't you have a big glass of shiong mao niao.

I just watched a documentary called "Terms And Conditions May Apply". It's definitely worth a watch. It makes me very glad that, with the exception of forums where I assume all the data is public anyway, I don't use social networking services.

To the NSA, or any other alphabet soup that wants to monitor my data, why don't you have a big glass of shiong mao niao.

Good idea to keep one's opinions off the public forum. The people calling the shots nowdays don't have the same opinions about the right to dissent as our forefathers did.

There once was a guy from Nantucket
Who brewed beer in a big white round bucket
Malted barely was crushed, but never rushed
Please save a soul, or at least the grain's sweet dust

With more than some pride and technical data
The grist made was treated good and it had stamina
A long hot bath in nutrious water it did soak
Don't ask during this time if the brewer did toke

After an hour the grain gave up it's sweet goodness
This makes brewers happy and the Beer Gods did choose this

What comes after that is for you to say
Please take this scenario and add to it, today :mug::mug::mug: