I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang. A mouse crawled into my storeroom and died. Now it is stinking bad and I have a ton of stuff to move just to find it if I can.

We have a mice problem at work. The base exterminator gives us those little boxes with the sticky stuff in them. Poor little mouse walks in, gets stuck and starves to death unless you remember to check them daily and then you can smash them with the heel of your boot. Sometimes forget to check the traps and a mouse gets caught, dies and rots. The putrid smell reminds you. Nasty.

Dan said:
We have a mice problem at work. The base exterminator gives us those little boxes with the sticky stuff in them. Poor little mouse walks in, gets stuck and starves to death unless you remember to check them daily and then you can smash them with the heel of your boot. Sometimes forget to check the traps and a mouse gets caught, dies and rots. The putrid smell reminds you. Nasty.

What's really cute is when they only get one leg stuck to it. They will chew their own foot off to escape eventually.

Ha ha ha! They just moved our Shop into another section of the building and gave me "new" office furniture for my office, one piece of which is a very comfortable couch. We were settling in for our first Shop meeting last week and my boss sat on the far side of the couch and 2 dark little objects seemed to fall out of his pockets but then they took off running. Turns out when he sat down he disturbed a nest of mice right underneath the cushion he sat on. They brought in exterminators and set out bait traps, I haven't seen a fresh mouse dropping in the last 3 days.

Sticky traps are the only thing that seem to work at home. I've stuffed steal wool into every crack in the wall, so we dont get them as often, but when they do they get on the sticky traps (many are too smart and just go around).

I put the whole trap, mouse and all, upside down in the toilet, hopefully drowning it quickly. I used to use an axehandle, but that got a little too personal. Little scared eyes looking up at me... no thanks.

Well I am in full on war mode just shy of war paint but only just shy. I found where he was hanging out but I think he died in a wall meaning it is going to stink for days.

Odd thing though I store my grain there and no tracks around the grain at all. I guess those double bags for long term storage of wheat really do work:)

True story, when I was a kid I put on a winter boot that had been sitting in the boiler room for half a year. My foot went into a boot full of sunflower seeds.

Mouse made a cache from the birdfeeder.

I can't figure out how something so small as a mouse can stink so much.

Anyway, just doing some middle of the afternoon posting, but when you work third shift this is the middle of the night for me, sorta.

Just headed off to get some sleep, thought I would leave you with one of my favorites from back in the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
True story, when I was a kid I put on a winter boot that had been sitting in the boiler room for half a year. My foot went into a boot full of sunflower seeds.

Mouse made a cache from the birdfeeder.

I just recently had that happen with a shoe I left on the screened in porch, went to put my foot in and it was full of sorghum seeds I had left out on the porch in a box. Not sure if it was a mouse or a squirrel(tree rat).

I try and always check my boots! If not small furry critters there could be a bug, if not a bug there could be something like the recent barbie shoe incident!

In a hurry, threw my boots on to get to work, felt something in there when it was laced but had to run.
I got to work and took my boot off only to find a barbie shoe in there!

Always check the boots first!

Forgot to check my footwear one time and one time only. The centipede occupying my boot reminded me quite painfully. I don't have any boot inhabiting critters up here but we are planning to move to AZ in about 2 years so I better get back into practice.

I am going through the boxes in the storeroom now and ran across a old toy tea set that I gave to my daughter years ago. I hated that silly thing and all the times we played tea. I have to tell you I would trade all the tea in china to have those days back instead of her wanting to date and such

I grew up in a rural area, "the country". My dad was a Chiropractor and sort of a naturalist I suppose. One of the nicest people you'd ever meet but when it came to animals he was sort of hard core, not cruel just not overly concerned about every little thing. What do I mean? My mom had her toy poodle who was spoiled like an only child and lived in the house. But we always had outdoor dogs and cats and even in the dead of an Illinois' winter, they weren' allowed inside. But did at least have a bed of hay in the barn. Various ailments over the years with the outdoor animals. It was survival of the fittest and they all made it through and even lived long lives 15-16 years. We had a cat that once got caught in hunters steel trap, it chopped off half of her front paw. No trip to the vet, she licked it and it healed on it's own. See, it's not even night, I'm at work and I'm rambling. :D

I am going through the boxes in the storeroom now and ran across a old toy tea set that I gave to my daughter years ago. I hated that silly thing and all the times we played tea. I have to tell you I would trade all the tea in china to have those days back instead of her wanting to date and such

My youngest turns 19 in a few months and often reminds me she is not 16 anymore. It is hard to let go.

Mine's 8 and the hard part is looking back and cringing when I remember wishing he'd get past "things." Like bottle feedings, diapers, etc. - but in looking back I wish we could go back to that happy-go-lucky boy who laughed at everything instead of the one who already knows it all and talks back all the time! See Dan - you're not the only one who can ramble and struggle to get a thought out!

My daughter is seven.
I still can't believe that it wasn't just yesterday when she fit on my forearm to sleep.

She's now getting to the age where things like a hug from dad on the rare occasions when I get to take her to school and walk to class with her embarrass her.
We still have a lot of fun though and she still likes to play with her old dad.
Sometimes it can be hard keeping up since she's 40 years younger than me! But we still have lots of fun.

My youngest is 21 and is fixing to have his first born. This will be our 4th granchild. For us, the grandchildren help fill the need of having small, wide eyed, wonder filled persons around us!

Plus we get to sugar them up and send them home with Mommy and Daddy.

Ok parents. Cut out the crap. I know all this gushy stuff is a trap. As soon as I have a kid you guys are all going to be like "HAHA! Got ya! You're in for hell!"

I got your numbers

Ok parents. Cut out the crap. I know all this gushy stuff is a trap. As soon as I have a kid you guys are all going to be like "HAHA! Got ya! You're in for hell!"

I got your numbers

There's no doubt, your in for hell in more ways than you can imagine.
You have no idea what it's like to see your little girl cry... for any reason.
They will test you at times.
I haven't even seen the teen years yet.

The thing is that the great far outweighs the bad.
A kid will give your life new purpose.

I remember when both of my daughters started dating; I was totally surprised and my wife said "you can't keep them young forever" I remember saying something like; I know but how did it happen so fast?

My kids are my pride and joy and my grandchildren are my youth revisited!

I got your numbers

I think you'd be a pretty cool dad. Life at the CreamyGoodness house would probably be a lot of fun. And when times get tough just refer back to your "Parenting" thread. :mug:

My daughter is seven.
I still can't believe that it wasn't just yesterday when she fit on my forearm to sleep.

She's now getting to the age where things like a hug from dad on the rare occasions when I get to take her to school and walk to class with her embarrass her.
We still have a lot of fun though and she still likes to play with her old dad.
Sometimes it can be hard keeping up since she's 40 years younger than me! But we still have lots of fun.

I feel for you man I really do. I was also a single Dad taking care of a girl from about age 5 on.

I think life is kind of a series of photos that we can replay in our mind. I also think the time between the memories are the most important bits of time even though we do not remember them.

I guess what I am saying is even though what you are doing is may not be a photo moment later in life you might stumble across a silly tea cup that brings back feelings and make you wish that you had done more. And knowing that I will hug my kid and tell her no dating till I am dead and that I love her.

I feel for you man I really do. I was also a single Dad taking care of a girl from about age 5 on.

I think life is kind of a series of photos that we can replay in our mind. I also think the time between the memories are the most important bits of time even though we do not remember them.

I guess what I am saying is even though what you are doing is may not be a photo moment later in life you might stumble across a silly tea cup that brings back feelings and make you wish that you had done more. And knowing that I will hug my kid and tell her no dating till I am dead and that I love her.

Life is good. Not every moment, but if that were the standard none of us could be happy.
I have so much fun with her every day that it's hard to imagine how I got by without her for the first 40.
You are right, it's not just the specific points that are important, every moment is important and should be enjoyed.

To be more specific, the non kodak moments become more important simply because it's the everyday things that really help shape what sort of person our kids become.
If we lie and cheat, they think it's OK.
If we go out of the way to help people, they think that's the norm.

What you do when nothing special is happening is in many ways the most important things that we do for our kids.

My hope is that my daughter loves hotrods, fishing, hunting, shooting and some day, way way down the road, having a high quality beer with the old man.

Ick, I've had a peppercorn brew. A rye peppercorn ale from a highly acclaimed brew pub. No es bueno. :(

We tasted a black peppercorn beer at the GABF this year and thought it had potential but wasn't quite there. Mine is a pink peppercorn IPA (actually a berry), the flavor is subtle, i'll up the amount next time but not too much.

OK Aussie, you've got two people interested in the peppercorn IPA.

Any comments on it? A recipe?
Do you just make an IPA and use peppercorns like a dryhop?

Yes you dry hop it just like hops. Keep in mind these are "pink" peppercorns which are actually a berry, they're sweeter tasting. I do have a recipe. Although, I would make a few slight adjustments to it such as increasing the amount of pink peppercorns. Here is the 10 gallon batch version:

•80%/18lb English Pale Malt
•5%/1lb Vienna Malt
•5%/1lb Crystal 40
•5%/1lb Biscuit
•5%/1lb Flaked Barley
•Yeast: Used Safale US-05 but could probably do better with an English Ale
•Hops: 2oz Motueka at 60 mins (24.5 IBU), 1 oz Motueka at 30 mins (9.4 IBU), 1oz Motueka (4.4 IBU) and 1oz Galaxy (8.9 IBU) at 10 mins.

•Mash in at 150
•Secondary: 1oz Motueka and 1/4 cup slightly crushed pink peppercorns, although that could be increased. (I did this in separate 5 gallon kegs, 1 keg got the peppercorns, one did not).

I took this to my homebrew club meeting last night and people seemed to like it. Came back with an empty growler anyway.

Hah I think I found the mouse. I believe he crawled in a drain so I flushed the drain and the smell is gone.

I think I will have a beer and bottle tonight

Hah I think I found the mouse. I believe he crawled in a drain so I flushed the drain and the smell is gone.

I think I will have a beer and bottle tonight

Good deal. the little bastard being dead is good but dead and gone is better.
I am off to go have a beer with a buddy then I am going to the bar for a beer and a burger. This will probably be followed by a few more beers after we leave the bar.

CreamyGoodness said:

I got your numbers

Depends man... For me, parenting has thoroughly been a joy. Every one of my three boys has slept every night since they were born, with the exception of a few sleepless nights due to sickness. I've kept up on discipline and so they are all well behaved and doing well in school. I've taken the time to teach them how to clean things properly, and the satisfaction of working hard, so they clean up after themselves and help with the household chores. I can't promise the sleeping thing, but overall if people's kids are acting like brats it's because they aren't doing it right. The single worst drawback of having kids is that you will love them more than you ever thought possible, and that comes with a crapload of anxiety about their wellbeing, which in many cases is not under your control.

I was supposed to go to beer and cigar night tonight but i think I will stay home and bottle instead. I fell asleep at the computer so I am thinking going out is not a good idea:p

Man it has been a lot of years since I saw that cartoon. I loved Tom and Jerry and all of the older ones as a kid. Nowdays the cartoons just are not as good

Latest posts

Back