I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy everyone! Happy Independence day!

We are 237 years removed from the day 56 men of the Continental Congress in Philly signed the Declaration of Independence. It's easy to forget the relevance of these holidays and replace them with a burger/beer party, but let's go ahead and give them their due (even if you just drank a bunch of beer and ate a burger as I did).

The signers of this document most certainly were signing their own death warrants. It was a treasonous act against the sovereign ruler at the time, the British Crown. The penalty for such acts was death. We owe the beginning of our great country to these brave leaders who put their necks on the line to form a better place to live.

When you watch the fireworks, remember these guys. Without them, we might all be subjects of British rule now.

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.​

Last edited by a moderator:
passedpawn said:

We are 237 years removed from the day 56 men of the Continental Congress in Philly singed the Declaration of Independence. It's easy to forget the relevance of these holidays and replace them with a burger/beer party, but let's go ahead and give them their due (even if you just drank a bunch of beer and ate a burger as I did).

The signers of this document most certainly were signing their own death warrants. It was a treasonous act against the sovereign ruler at the time, the British Crown. The penalty for such acts was death. We owe the beginning of our great country to these brave leaders who put their necks on the line to form a better place to live.

When you watch the fireworks, remember these guys. Without them, we might all be subjects of British rule now.

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

Like passedpawn like

We are 237 years removed from the day 56 men of the Continental Congress in Philly signed the Declaration of Independence. It's easy to forget the relevance of these holidays and replace them with a burger/beer party, but let's go ahead and give them their due (even if you just drank a bunch of beer and ate a burger as I did).

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.​

Very well said friend!

Happy Independence Day folks!

passedpawn said:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Happy Independence Day! Every year while camping, I read the Declaration around the fire with my kids, family, and friends. Another of my favorite passages:

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

BobbiLynn, I'm glad you are carrying on with your everyday things and keeping an eye on the future. Hope things get better for you and hubby.

Dan, that's a really nice potting table; I can see why your wife wants to keep it!

Technically, it was signed August 2nd. The approval of it's wording, and hence the date on the top, was July 4th. Though I take your meaning. :)

I tried out some new stuff the past couple days. Started a 3 gallon chocolate mint tea batch and a coffee batch. Now starting to wonder if they were both a really bad idea.

passedpawn said:

Yeah, if you ignore the context of 'all men are created equal' it seems pretty nice.

brewing a IPA now, going to use the no-chill method. Should save a heap of water, so I'll feel less guilty about a long shower.

I can relate. I re-purpose my chiller water as much as possible. I collect the hottest water in a big tub and use it to clean the chiller, hoses, and the kettle. When the water starts to run a little cooler I then water the flowerbeds with it attached to a long hose. When I'm done with the water in the tub it goes to yard watering as well.

I've never tried the no-chill method, but I've always been curious to give it a try.

I can relate. I re-purpose my chiller water as much as possible. I collect the hottest water in a big tub and use it to clean the chiller, hoses, and the kettle. When the water starts to run a little cooler I then water the flowerbeds with it attached to a long hose. When I'm done with the water in the tub it goes to yard watering as well.

I've never tried the no-chill method, but I've always been curious to give it a try.

Yep, in brewing I conserve the water more than any other area of my life. I cringe at the water fight the kids had yesterday (I mean if you could cringe under the huge smile). But I do use the hot water for cleaning and the warm water goes to the garden. And I fish pump/recirc the ice/cold water. So, nothing actually is wasted. But no chill is interesting. (this is my first intentional no chill batch). And under 4 hours spark to finish (equipment clean and stored), is awesome (disclaimer - I ground my grain last week, I usually have a few ready to go buckets, I refer to as my kits; mostly just one gallon test recipes, but one full size (6.08 gallons here) recipe crushed and ready in case a few hours of free time open).

Well, one of my neighbors went into my back property and broke off the black walnut I was babying. I'm fairly sure I know which one too. Yeah, that wasn't smart. None of these neighbors have any idea how bad of an enemy I can be.

Phase one is complete, if you really want to know PM me and I'll tell you. It won't make much sense to most people anyway. Phase two will be building a 6' high chain link fence on the side without one, and planting a bunch of very spiky blackberries right at it's base. Phase three involves a couple of motion sensors, a ghillie suit, and a rifle. Hopefully we won't need to get to phase three.

This seemed appropriate, though I'm no longer angry. :)

Well, one of my neighbors went into my back property and broke off the black walnut I was babying. I'm fairly sure I know which one too. Yeah, that wasn't smart. None of these neighbors have any idea how bad of an enemy I can be.

Phase one is complete, if you really want to know PM me and I'll tell you. It won't make much sense to most people anyway. Phase two will be building a 6' high chain link fence on the side without one, and planting a bunch of very spiky blackberries right at it's base. Phase three involves a couple of motion sensors, a ghillie suit, and a rifle. Hopefully we won't need to get to phase three.

Hate when it has to get nasty "BUT" as my uncle use to say "Careful who you f*ck with you never no who or what their capable of." My nasty neighbor had to find out the hard way. Vengeance may belong to the Lord but payback is mine:p

Want to talk about beer, brewing, and things like that, not just now. Forgive me, sincerely.

I'm in the middle of moving, so why am I at my keyboard on HBT? No clue other than to take a break. The Pod showed up at 7:30 this morning. It is only 7L X 7W X 8H, feet that is. Nearly everything in this house is getting sold or given away. No furniture is making the move. I've been trying to prioritize just what is going to go to Hawaii and how to fit it. My wife has about 14 larges boxes, that will take up maybe a third or more of the pod. My brewstand and her garden work bench will take up space. I'm going to pack things in between. No lost inches if I can help it.

I have one of those Weber gas grills, the football shaped ones. I wasn't going to bring it, I prefer charcoal. Yesterday the wife said I should bring it so we can grill fresh fish. What? We lived together in Hawaii for nearly 7 years and we never once grilled fish. But she wins.

I broke out the pressure washer and cleaned the years of seasoning off the cast iron grill part, and inside and outside. Then washed it with dish soap and then repainted the top with high temp paint. (1200F they claim). Today I threw all my grilling tools inside it and then thought, hey more space. So I loaded up every cubic inch of the thing with stuff and put a cargo strap around to hold it together. 20lb grill now probably weighs 40.

That's how the rest of this packing is going to be. Kind of fun and challenging. Things take up space but inside, around them is free space. This is going to be the most tightly packed pod I can make it. I have two days but if I spend to much time doing stuff like sitting here typing, I might not get it all done.

So everybody, thanks for my listening to my little rant. Probably won't be the first or last one during the next week. PRV

Cheers!

Dan

Fabrics,(clothes ,blankets,etc in plastic bags stick the vacuum hose to remove the air in between items) helped when we moved as the air comes back into the bag helps keep things from moving around. I planned are packing by room furthest was packed last closest packed first saves walking around stuff. Good luck

Want to talk about beer, brewing, and things like that, not just now. Forgive me, sincerely.

I'm in the middle of moving, so why am I at my keyboard on HBT? No clue other than to take a break. The Pod showed up at 7:30 this morning. It is only 7L X 7W X 8H, feet that is. Nearly everything in this house is getting sold or given away. No furniture is making the move. I've been trying to prioritize just what is going to go to Hawaii and how to fit it. My wife has about 14 larges boxes, that will take up maybe a third or more of the pod. My brewstand and her garden work bench will take up space. I'm going to pack things in between. No lost inches if I can help it.

I have one of those Weber gas grills, the football shaped ones. I wasn't going to bring it, I prefer charcoal. Yesterday the wife said I should bring it so we can grill fresh fish. What? We lived together in Hawaii for nearly 7 years and we never once grilled fish. But she wins.

I broke out the pressure washer and cleaned the years of seasoning off the cast iron grill part, and inside and outside. Then washed it with dish soap and then repainted the top with high temp paint. (1200F they claim). Today I threw all my grilling tools inside it and then thought, hey more space. So I loaded up every cubic inch of the thing with stuff and put a cargo strap around to hold it together. 20lb grill now probably weighs 40.

That's how the rest of this packing is going to be. Kind of fun and challenging. Things take up space but inside, around them is free space. This is going to be the most tightly packed pod I can make it. I have two days but if I spend to much time doing stuff like sitting here typing, I might not get it all done.

So everybody, thanks for my listening to my little rant. Probably won't be the first or last one during the next week. PRV

Cheers!

Dan

Dan, I'm so glad you're following J to Hawaii. This gives me a great reason to finally see Hawaii. I might be gray by the time my wife and I get there, but when we do we need to get that grill fired up and get some fresh fish on that Weber. I'm counting the days. (btw, I do charcoal too... got pork butts going all day today).

Dan, I'm so glad you're following J to Hawaii. This gives me a great reason to finally see Hawaii. I might be gray by the time my wife and I get there, but when we do we need to get that grill fired up and get some fresh fish on that Weber. I'm counting the days. (btw, I do charcoal too... got pork butts going all day today).
So do I, but no grill. :p

Maybe I should pull the smoker out this weekend, smoked chicken thighs sound good.

I've always enjoyed packing things into as little space as possible. I once packed almost everything I owned into a 1986 Chevette, a small tunnel made so I could just barely turn my head around to see what was behind me or through the rear view mirror.

I'm pretty sure I broke my foot today, or at least one toe. Red, swollen and when I try to curl my toes, that one stays straight. Tripped over a fermenter bucket. Figures.

Heavy rain was not good to my berries and set me back on picking. But mushy berries are perfect for cooking and stuff, and really great for blackberry wine. I started another batch today, this time 3 gallons.

I think I'm going to start making my own knives. Why? Because I can. :)

You sure are multi-talented!

I woke up at 4:30 this morning, my foot throbbing. The questionable toe is now a bluish black color along with half my foot. Maybe I should try to set it with a popsicle stick and some mailing tape. Took half a hydrocodone from hubby's stash. Dammit! It's almost time to pick the berries. I probably have the supplies to make a papier-mache cast. Between the half a pill and the quart of beer I just opened, berries might have to wait. :tank:

I woke up at 4:30 this morning, my foot throbbing. The questionable toe is now a bluish black color along with half my foot. Maybe I should try to set it with a popsicle stick and some mailing tape. Took half a hydrocodone from hubby's stash. Dammit! It's almost time to pick the berries. I probably have the supplies to make a papier-mache cast. Between the half a pill and the quart of beer I just opened, berries might have to wait. :tank:

Really need to be careful Bobbi. I broke my foot last year and did not go in and it healed wrong. Now it causes me a ton of grief and I am wishing I had it set right to begin with

I think I'm going to start making my own knives. Why? Because I can.
Are you going to forge them or grind them? If I ever get my old powerhammer rebuilt I want to start making them out of pattern welded steel.
Sorry about your walnut tree. They grow so slow it is a real shame what happened to it. Whatever happens to the offending party they deserve.

Bobbi - If it is just your toe there isn't much you can do but suffer through it.

Dan - I sure don't envy your moving. I'm such a packrat it would probably take me a couple 40 foot containers and I would still be complaining about the stuff I would have to leave behind. :)

Just got back from the cottage a bit ago. My fishless streak has remained unbroken. But one of these days I'm going to catch a fish and surprise everyone. I got a lot accomplished besides being a moving smorgasbord for the skeeters.
I'm going to have to start kegging and bottling this week. The big party up there is the first weekend in August so that should give the beer plenty of time to condition and carbonate in the keg.

I have to be at work four hours early tonight. So I better see if I can get some sleep. They spent the holiday weekend moving machines and reorganizing the department so it will probably be one big cluster **** tonight. The joys of working third shift.....

Are you going to forge them or grind them? If I ever get my old powerhammer rebuilt I want to start making them out of pattern welded steel.
Sorry about your walnut tree. They grow so slow it is a real shame what happened to it. Whatever happens to the offending party they deserve.

Bobbi - If it is just your toe there isn't much you can do but suffer through it.

Dan - I sure don't envy your moving. I'm such a packrat it would probably take me a couple 40 foot containers and I would still be complaining about the stuff I would have to leave behind. :)

Just got back from the cottage a bit ago. My fishless streak has remained unbroken. But one of these days I'm going to catch a fish and surprise everyone. I got a lot accomplished besides being a moving smorgasbord for the skeeters.
I'm going to have to start kegging and bottling this week. The big party up there is the first weekend in August so that should give the beer plenty of time to condition and carbonate in the keg.

I have to be at work four hours early tonight. So I better see if I can get some sleep. They spent the holiday weekend moving machines and reorganizing the department so it will probably be one big cluster **** tonight. The joys of working third shift.....

So do you plan on a Damascus style steel? Had to leave my forge and anvil behind when we moved may look back in to it when/if I retire. Grinding a repalcement blade for my folding clip knife using an old chopper blade that was used to part up frozen blocks of beef. So you can't fish

Cheers, Pappy! There will always be room at my table for you and your wife. Always. The accommodations will be modest for the next few years but I'd be honored by your company.

That feeling/offer goes out to my friends here on HBT.

Now, I have to go back outside and fit see how much more I can squeeze into the shipping pod.

Dan

In the event of a zombie apocalypse, I intend to be the one guy who can rebuild 90% of the crafts needed for a functional society.... Yup, brewing is one of the top trades. :D

Sorry about your walnut tree. They grow so slow it is a real shame what happened to it. Whatever happens to the offending party they deserve...

I've never made a knife before. I figured I'd try out patterns on sheets of mild steel. Then once I've got a form I like make some out of knife steel, with a little tempering. If I enjoy doing that, I'll look at doing some more serious forging. My current equipment is limited to a belt sander and a grinding wheel. Well, that and a sledgehammer whose head I use as an anvil and a couple hammers.

So do you plan on a Damascus style steel? Had to leave my forge and anvil behind when we moved may look back in to it when/if I retire. Grinding a repalcement blade for my folding clip knife using an old chopper blade that was used to part up frozen blocks of beef. So you can't fish
I don't plan on playing with layer forged steel when/if I've gained enough skill to make it worth while. It's beautiful, and maintains an edge without suffering from the brittleness of straight high carbon steel. I just can't see wasting it learning how to make knives.

I smoked 12 chicken thighs and 7 pork ribs today. The chicken thighs then got smothered in sweet baby rays bbq sauce with some added liquid smoke, and cooked in the oven for an hour. Then 10 of them went into the freezer, the last two are dinner. All of the uncooked, but smoked, country style pork ribs went into the freezer. Should be some good food this week. Apple wood smoke in the 100$ electric smoker. Good stuff.

So, I've got a horrible headache today. I took a couple Excedrin migraine equivalents and drank a whole bottle of wine. I can still tell my head hurts... That's a bad sign. I should probably lay down now. I'm hoping my headache goes away after a couple hours nap.

Peace be with you my brothers and sisters of brewing, forging, and cooking. :)

In the event of a zombie apocalypse, I intend to be the one guy who can rebuild 90% of the crafts needed for a functional society.... Yup, brewing is one of the top trades. :D

I've never made a knife before. I figured I'd try out patterns on sheets of mild steel. Then once I've got a form I like make some out of knife steel, with a little tempering. If I enjoy doing that, I'll look at doing some more serious forging. My current equipment is limited to a belt sander and a grinding wheel. Well, that and a sledgehammer whose head I use as an anvil and a couple hammers.

I don't plan on playing with layer forged steel when/if I've gained enough skill to make it worth while. It's beautiful, and maintains an edge without suffering from the brittleness of straight high carbon steel. I just can't see wasting it learning how to make knives.

I smoked 12 chicken thighs and 7 pork ribs today. The chicken thighs then got smothered in sweet baby rays bbq sauce with some added liquid smoke, and cooked in the oven for an hour. Then 10 of them went into the freezer, the last two are dinner. All of the uncooked, but smoked, country style pork ribs went into the freezer. Should be some good food this week. Apple wood smoke in the 100$ electric smoker. Good stuff.

So, I've got a horrible headache today. I took a couple Excedrin migraine equivalents and drank a whole bottle of wine. I can still tell my head hurts... That's a bad sign. I should probably lay down now. I'm hoping my headache goes away after a couple hours nap.

Peace be with you my brothers and sisters of brewing, forging, and cooking. :)

Saw blades make good blanks we go through a 1/2 dozen or so 14" circular blades a month so I have quite a few just need to mark out a few more blanks. Need to hook up the plasma cutter once I make room in the garage again. Sorry about your head I can't have any alcohol with a migraine or I curled up in a closet with my head in a soft cooler full of soft cold packs.

Saw blades make good blanks we go through a 1/2 dozen or so 14" circular blades a month so I have quite a few just need to mark out a few more blanks. Need to hook up the plasma cutter once I make room in the garage again. Sorry about your head I can't have any alcohol with a migraine or I curled up in a closet with my head in a soft cooler full of soft cold packs.
Huh, that's not a bad idea. Both the saw blades and the cooler full of cold packs. I don't have any worn our saw blades atm.

Honestly though, there are some benefits of having migraines. Some ****** nozzle at work was doing a demo where he would push on some pressure points in somebodies arm and they would be incapacitated by the pain. He did it to me, and I smirked. Shocked him so bad he blanched, let go, and stepped back. I reminded him that some people can deal with the pain, and that kind of stuff isn't going to drop them. It's just going to piss them off. I think he was getting some kind of perverse pleasure out of watching people practically collapse in pain.

I should have brined the chicken before smoking it. It's good, but a little low on the flavor index. It's also slightly dry, not bad since the collagen rendered, but drier then I would consider optimal. A little salt and sugar absorbed into the flesh before smoking would have fixed that. Mental note for next time made.

I remember the vultures from when my grandmother died. They can burn. Better that somebody you know will appreciate things will get your stuff then one of them.

Hmm, the spambot has ceased to exist. That's nice. Thanks be to, whichever mode nuke it.

I finished off my rhodomel. Now I'm drinking some applejack I made almost a year ago. It's surprisingly good, even if I was stupid and put a tiny bit of salt in it. Maybe I should make another batch of cider just for this... Hmm. Yeah, my head still hurts...

Hey Emjay, any suggestions? I'm flat out of ideas at this point.

Just had a bomber of a two year old mead. It was very good. Now I need to wait awhile as a fear its going to gang up on me. I'd like another, but Monday is looming.

I hear you about Monday creeping up. But it was a great holiday and weekend. Just working my way through a glass of very young blueberry mead. Cheers LRB!

I just took a beer to a neighbor down the way who was mowing his lawn at 9pm. I figured if you are mowing your lawn that late, you could use a beer. He was nice, though he barely speaks English. He introduced me to two other neighbors, who then introduced me to another two. It turns out I'm not the only one who doesn't like the neighbor across the street. :)

I hope things in the neighborhood warm up. The immediate neighbors don't speak much English, the neighbors over from that do though. Plus they didn't mind translating tonight. It probably helps that the beer I offered the Spanish speaking neighbor was a dos equis. Since I don't drink beer, I'm not sure what that says about me, but it seemed to be good.

Latest posts

Back