I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airborneguy said:
Ugh, bad stabbing. My night just turned to crap.

Is there ever good stabbing? I for one enjoy HBT to get me through nights on patrol. I've never been a fan of night shift...something about coming to work on one day and going home the next, then going back to work the same day.

Stabbings, murders, I don't know how you guys deal with that all the time.

My ex father in law was a cop working night shift most of his career . He loved it.
We're pretty rural here so he didn't do crap. He would get another cop and sit around his house and play video games when he wasn't meeting up somewhere with another cop to drink coffee and talk about how bad they were.
Danger for them was busting some teenage punk that broke into a house or was selling a little pot, and that wasn't very often.

Not the same world as where you guys are. Bad things happen at night in the city.

Is there ever good stabbing? I for one enjoy HBT to get me through nights on patrol. I've never been a fan of night shift...something about coming to work on one day and going home the next, then going back to work the same day.

I've been on midnights most of my career, favorite tour by far.

Any stabbing where one of my cops isn't hurt and the vic doesn't die is a good one by me. :)

Bad things happen at night in the city.

The only way I'd ever have it. ;)

You should see us too. We're all small, scrappy guys (and gals). Cops in other parts of the country are surprised when they meet a bunch of NYPD cops. Everywhere else cops are big galoots, but never deal with 1/3 of the crap we deal with.

The only way I'd ever have it. ;)

You should see us too. We're all small, scrappy guys (and gals). Cops in other parts of the country are surprised when they meet a bunch of NYPD cops. Everywhere else cops are big galoots, but never deal with 1/3 of the crap we deal with.

Most the cops around here are young guys getting a foot in the door so they can move on to a better department, or large, soft and don't like to do much.
They have very little in common with professional officers in serious departments and wouldn't make it there.
Bravery isn't common.

I suppose that works for someplace where not much happens and there isn't a lot to attract serious career men ( or women ).

45_70sharps said:
Most the cops around here are young guys getting a foot in the door so they can move on to a better department, or large, soft and don't like to do much.
They have very little in common with professional officers in serious departments and wouldn't make it there.
Bravery isn't common.

I suppose that works for someplace where not much happens and there isn't a lot to attract serious career men ( or women ).

It's all about their surroundings. Sometimes it can be quite surprising to see someone "step up to plate" when subjected to entirely different surroundings. Most of my babble comes from military experience though.

On that note...I've taken my sleeping pill with a Sam Adams to wash it down. Good night (day) y'all.

I dunno, I don't think someone my size has any advantages as a cop. You have intimidation factor, but that doesn't usually count for much because you're not allowed to be the aggressor in a situation as far as I know. Plus I'm easy to see, and shoot at. You'd have to be blind to miss me at 20 yards. I can run pretty fast, but if I had to tackle someone it's going to be ugly, not a clean tackle, more like a train wreck with both of us sustaining moderate to severe injuries. If I had to be a cop I would rather be smaller. I mean if things get out of hand you can always shoot or stun people right?

I did say something about taking a little time off from HBT. Nothing about not wanting to listen to ramblings but I spend to much time here. I'm an expert at rambling and do enjoy a good rambling any day; to a day at work.

I did say something about taking a little time off from HBT. Nothing about not wanting to listen to ramblings but I spend to much time here. I'm an expert at rambling and do enjoy a good rambling any day; to a day at work.

Everyone knows you're just the Rambler... :D Didn't they make a song about you?? Or was that the Wanderer?? :D

I hope you got some work and some sleep done, Dan. Missed you for a couple days there...:cross:

Must be getting toward the end of this keg because the pint I just poured is money.

I think it just goes down way too easy.

I'm hitting the bottom of a keg tonight too, need to free it up, make room for something new. Keg is starting to spit a little, yum!!! Goes down really well.

I'm hitting the bottom of a keg tonight too, need to free it up, make room for something new. Keg is starting to spit a little, yum!!! Goes down really well.

I hate it when I almost get a pint poured and then BAM a big ole yeast hocker comes shooting out as the keg kicks. Sometimes when I know I'm close I'll just keep pouring 1/4 pints or so until it kicks. Makes for too many trips up and down the stairs though, my keggerator is in the basement.:(

LOL, I'm doing that, pouring 1/4 pints, lots of trips, but this way, I can dump out the yeast clumps without wasting too much. Nothing like the bottom of the barrel...

BBL_Brewer said:
I hate it when I almost get a pint poured and then BAM a big ole yeast hocker comes shooting out as the keg kicks. Sometimes when I know I'm close I'll just keep pouring 1/4 pints or so until it kicks. Makes for too many trips up and down the stairs though, my keggerator is in the basement.:(

You should run the lines through the wall, and have the taps by the bedside :drunk:

You should run the lines through the wall, and have the taps by the bedside :drunk:

I've done the math...I'd have to overcarbonate to push it upstairs unless I get some better tubing with less resistance. I've had a remote tower build in the back of my mind for a while now. So many builds so little time.

BBL_Brewer said:
I've done the math...I'd have to overcarbonate to push it upstairs unless I get some better tubing with less resistance. I've had a remote tower build in the back of my mind for a while now. So many builds so little time.

Beer gas?

BobbiLynn said:
Well, anytime you have to force air into something, wouldn't you call it that?

No I means use beer gas. A blend of 75% nitrogen and 25% CO2. Often used on stouts to still have enough pressure for the stout nozzle to work properly and the beer to flow fast enough while keeping it in the proper carbonation range for the style. If you had a very long run of tube you could use that to have enough pressure to get a decently fast pour without having to overcarbed your beer.

No I means use beer gas. A blend of 75% nitrogen and 25% CO2. Often used on stouts to still have enough pressure for the stout nozzle to work properly and the beer to flow fast enough while keeping it in the proper carbonation range for the style. If you had a very long run of tube you could use that to have enough pressure to get a decently fast pour without having to overcarbed your beer.

Oh, okay... I don't think "beer gas" is in the glossary of terms for this site. You had me confused there....

Gotta agree with you BobbiLynn. BeerGas. That's beer ingested into the human body, re-fermented and expelled; sometimes with biblical forces which exit the lower airlock.

It's also in more recent terms a nitrogen/carbon dioxide mix that uses higher pressure than normal (than when just CO2 is used) to push beer from a keg. The hydrogen won't carbonate beer, the two don't mix but it will push beer through a stout tap faster, using higher pressure which helps stouts get those thick creamy heads. I think beergas can be used in regular ales too. Serving pressure is high. Not sure what the advantage it provides serving ale.

Of course you know I'm completely talking out of my tap.

your nights, guys and girls, are my really early mornings... this is like getting to a party sober and find out that everyone has been drunk for hours... and some already have hang overs...

Is everyone here passed out now? Because, look, I am invisible. When I hover over my name it says "BobbiLynn is invisible". So now that you can't see me... what would happen if I poured from the keg into bottles and sealed them? Because I really need this thing empty but it's like the keg that never ends. Trying to drink it all but don't know how much more I can handle. :drunk:

I dunno, I don't think someone my size has any advantages as a cop. You have intimidation factor, but that doesn't usually count for much because you're not allowed to be the aggressor in a situation as far as I know. Plus I'm easy to see, and shoot at. You'd have to be blind to miss me at 20 yards. I can run pretty fast, but if I had to tackle someone it's going to be ugly, not a clean tackle, more like a train wreck with both of us sustaining moderate to severe injuries. If I had to be a cop I would rather be smaller. I mean if things get out of hand you can always shoot or stun people right?

I see your point (and have seen it in action), but considering that even here not even close to "most" people are looking to fight, the intimidation factor can lead to a big cop fighting once every few years, compared to my once ever few months. Even in non-violent situations, the intimidation of size is an asset. Most regular people are wary around aggressive people who are larger than them.

I had to start wearing glasses again recently, and ever since I have noticed a major difference in the amount of attitude people are willing to attempt on me compared to before I wore them. It's like they see the nerd from high school again and not the uniform. Now can I handle most of them? Yeah, easily, but since any fight is a bad fight as I get older, I'd rather them see the jock bully than the D&D nerd.

I used to work with a guy who was your size, and no one ever messed with him. He was strong as hell, but slow and not really a good fighter. I was smaller and much weaker, but because of that I had to learn how to fight much quicker than he had to.

Another consideration is the need to get "the jump" on people. I learned really quickly that I needed to be able to identify when a fight was imminent and make the first move, while the bigger guys tend to lack that skill because they aren't intimidated by people like I am. And yes, I have no qualms with admitting that someone intimidates me. BUT, I have a job to do and I will ALWAYS do it, so I had to adapt to my limitations, and I did.

When I came to my new command after promotion, it was obvious that everyone was feeling out what type of cop/boss I was going to be. Within my first week, I threw down with 2 drunken French brothers in front of a bar at 7 am in broad daylight on a busy street in front of quite a few onlookers. I got a lot of respect from the people who work for me after that. They knew I could handle myself and wasn't afraid to do it even if people were watching, which is a big consideration to most cops in Manhattan. They're all scared of cameras and Youtube. Me? If I ever make youtube, I promise to post the link here!

Is everyone here passed out now? Because, look, I am invisible. When I hover over my name it says "BobbiLynn is invisible".
:smack:

So now that you can't see me... what would happen if I poured from the keg into bottles and sealed them? Because I really need this thing empty but it's like the keg that never ends. Trying to drink it all but don't know how much more I can handle. :drunk:

IF you do it right, the bottles will be fine. If not, then not. :eek: :D

Airbourneguy, you are friggin' awesome!!

I just love that red dot saying "BobbiLynn is invisible". It was a button I found, do I want to use invisible mode? Hell, yeah!!! So I bottled a quart into a PET plastic bottle, so I can see if it's about to explode or not explode, because I've never heard of one of these exploding. Keg to bottle, put it in the fridge, see what happens.... Didn't add any additional priming sugar, maybe I should have. A couple more 1/4 pints here and I'll be ready to clean this thing out. Must have empty keg!!!

I just want to point out (a bit further along in the thread) that people have something of a skewed idea of the violent nature of New York City.

Firstly, I have lived here 10 years now. Those who have seen my picture or video here would likely agree that I am far from imposing. I own no weapons, and keep no weapons on my person. Knock wood, worst violence I have ever been a part of is a guy took my hat off at a bar and hit me with it. Thanks go to my friend and former bouncer "Big Eric" for keeping that from escalating.

Secondly, my home town counted 1,780 people in the last census. We had one or two serious violent crimes EVERY YEAR. The latest statistic I had read is that in NYC there are 6.4 homocides per every 100,000 people. My home town, compared statistically, is a burning pile of murderous cackah.

We can thank Airborne and the rest of the NYPD in no small part that we arent a St. Louis or Flint when it comes to violent crime.

I'm not saying that there isnt serious violent crime here, or that the small towns some of you live in arent safer, but I am saying that if your daughter wants to come see a show just make sure she goes with a new yorker you trust (and for God's sake, no I heart New York T-shirt and Teva sandles).

I moved to New York when I was 16, lived there 2 years, was seeking to become a costume designer for movie sets. Failed miserably, no one would take me seriously, 16 and I looked like I was 12. Now I design and sell my patterns. People buy them, yeah! Just get your hands on the top of his shoulders then a swift knee kick in the groin. Gets them every time.

I moved to New York when I was 16, lived there 2 years, was seeking to become a costume designer for movie sets. Failed miserably, no one would take me seriously, 16 and I looked like I was 12. Now I design and sell my patterns. People buy them, yeah! Just get your hands on the top of his shoulders then a swift knee kick in the groin. Gets them every time.

I went to NYC once... Once... :eek: It was before 9/11 but I have zero desire to ever go back. I also don't like going into Boston, which I avoid if at all possible.

I'd sooner drink an entire glass of CG's okra mead than work in either NYC or Boston (downtown or financial district).

BTW, I like how I can be the more imposing figure where I walk/live. It doesn't take much of a shift to make that happen. It also tends to get people to back away before things get ugly (more than I already am :eek: :D). I once walked out the front door (we were living in FL at the time) to tell some snot-nosed kids to stop walking on our front yard. Just the sight of me was enough to get them to run. Didn't need to say a word. :D

Fortunately/unfortunately (depends on how you look at it), I wouldn't resort to violence 99.5% of the time. Unless a family member was being harmed, then the gloves come off and the other person had better run.

One truism to remember, you have to love New York to live in New York. This city will make you miserable if you don't. She also gave me almost everything I hold dear today, not the least of which being my wife.

I do get a bit butthurt when people talk against her, but when I sit down and think about about it, the fewer people that live and work here (or come as tourists) means lower rents, more job security, more open cabs, and fewer lines in front of revolving doors (yes, that actually happens... people actually go up to revolving doors and STOP, unclear on their operation).

And Boston is... also a place people live.

I went to NYC once... Once... :eek: It was before 9/11 but I have zero desire to ever go back. I also don't like going into Boston, which I avoid if at all possible.
Fortunately/unfortunately (depends on how you look at it), I wouldn't resort to violence 99.5% of the time. Unless a family member was being harmed, then the gloves come off and the other person had better run.

When I was a kid on the school bus, I had to defend my sisters all the time. Always having to fight. I guess that's why I turned into the person I am today. Someone pulls up here, driveway 7/8 a mile long, I just walk out onto the porch holding my rifle. Calmly walk over and set it down. Greet them, if they haven't already run off.

BobbiLynn, you remind me of the mom from Gentlemen Broncos. You've never by any chance designed a clothing line called "Decent Beginnings", have you?

PS--Everyone who enjoyed Napoleon Dynamite should go watch this movie. You're welcome.

You've never by any chance designed a clothing line called "Decent Beginnings", have you?

No, but I am familiar with it and it is my style. Do you like? Comfy and carefree... I love their photo shoots too.. wish mine were as good.

About to get ready for another night on the town... I think I'm going to stay in and do administrative stuff tonight, maybe smoke a cigar. Anyone else going to be up late tonight?

About to get ready for another night on the town... I think I'm going to stay in and do administrative stuff tonight, maybe smoke a cigar. Anyone else going to be up late tonight?

Not likely tonight... Need to get up earlier tomorrow since someone is coming over to buy a lens I'm not using (the funds will go to good use). Then going over to set up mom's new internet connection and get her new wireless printer online and set up her laptop to print to it.

BTW, had three pints of my 8.8% mocha porter last night in under 2 hours. That will really F you up but good. :D :drunk:

Back