I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's with the cat that flashes periodically in your avatar LG? Has it always done that? If so, this must be the first time I've been sober enough to notice it.

These cherries are amazing! Most of them are split from all the water we've had this year, but man are they juicy. I need to climb that tree tomorrow and get some more dead ripe ones from the top before the squirrels and birds eat them all. I don't remember them tasting quite this good, but the last couple years we didn't get any due to frost killing most of the blooms. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? I think it's going to be a good year for hops too. They're loving all this rain. I haven't had to water them at all yet.

Now, I'm not so sure about my guests. All seems to go well, I get their top off, but soon find them to be empty. Ah but then there's the next one sitting there all curvy and waiting. I'll keep trying. I notice they are kinda making a mess though.

Since Dan's not here to bring you cheer
With words that rhyme, or not sometimes
I'll amuse you while you drink your beer
Or in LG's case I guess it's wine.

I thought I saw a putty tat.
I think I'll pour another pint.
But now I smell a drunken rat.
He makes no sense, but that's the point.

I have found that I can't even cheat on hubby in a dream. It would have been my perfect opportunity. I guess lately I look pathetic, like I just need some good lovin', and these nice, kind, good looking men just want to help me out. So strong and healthy and able. Saying, it's okay, no one will find out.... And all I can do is laugh and change the subject. Say, stop looking at me like that. It's probably the farmer's tan that makes me so irresistible to them. I'm not sure. I'm not mad at them. Must be some kind of vibes I am sending out. First it was one male friend, then another, then another.... At first it made me angry, but now I think it's kind of cute. They just want to comfort me, and they don't know how else to do it. Because they are men.

Sorry to shut down the conversation. I know not all men are like that. But, some are. I realize it's not the majority. My apologizes for any offense taken.

:mug:

What's with the cat that flashes periodically in your avatar LG? Has it always done that? If so, this must be the first time I've been sober enough to notice it.
It isn't you. I changed it last week. I finally got a couple good pictures of my cat. :)

haha, just saw that myself. you subliminal sneaky SOB
Why thank you PP. It would have been a lot more subtle, and with better transitions, but I didn't really have space for anything fancy with the avatar file size limit. :fro:

I haven't seen LG flashing his little ***** cat yet. :(

It's what we think we do best? Sometimes

I think it's just they don't know what to do or say when I get all emotional, so they are just like, so, hey, do you want some of this? Like offering a crying kid a piece of candy. :p

You know, whenever I start talking to somebody who likes to use big words it makes me feel like I'm talking to a pompous child. The inflated sense of self importance just highlights the willful ignorance of the speaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen LG flashing his little ***** cat yet. :(...
Keep watching, the gif is on a long delay.

I'm going to be up for a while tonight. It looks like I've got 3 batch worth of banana wine to pasteurize, and it takes time to get a pot of water up to 160f.

EDIT: For kitty pictures. :p

cat1.jpg

cat2.jpg

cat3.jpg

You know something funny about Denver? You can't get a 3 Musketeers bar here with intact chocolate. The air in the nougat expands when they are shipped here and invariably cracks the chocolate in several places. Even on the mini ones.

I like that word, nougat. Since we are both up late, what do you say? ;) I'm a little bored.

Just kidding, maybe I am sending out wrongful vibes. :fro:

Cute little kitty and just noticed your avatar flashing, I better get to sleep before I get in too much trouble. ;)

My friend Leon told me the other day that it's not my face or body that makes me look "older", but my hair. Then he proceeded to tell me the causes of premature greyness. Well, thank you very much. And I do know I can buy hair color if I wanted to. Said that to him and he goes, well, everyone can make up their own mind about that. My daughter has told me the same, you know, you can color your hair, mom. Yes, I know. Maybe I'll color my hair but seems like a silly waste of time. To me they look like white streaks, not gray, and I kind of like them.

When I was a little kid my hair was red. It slowly turned blond when I was about 12, and has continued to lighten since then. I wonder if it will go straw blond before I'm 40?

The last batch is up to temperature. I should be, finally, done with this in about 10 minutes.

When I was a little kid my hair was red. It slowly turned blond when I was about 12, and has continued to lighten since then. I wonder if it will go straw blond before I'm 40?

My hair was light blond as kid. Gradually, from the age of about 7 to the age of 12 or so, it became a medium-dark brown. Happened to both my brothers too.

My eyes started as a fairly bright blue and are now a pale grey, usually leaning mostly towards green.

--- The rest of this post is just between me and you guys! ;) Seriously though!!!! ---

My weirdest change, however? French was the first language I learned. And I'm not even sure why, because although my mom is from Quebec, my dad STILL can't speak the language 27 years later, and he's been with me and my mom for my whole life. My first word was lumière, French for "light" (as in lightbulbs, rather than feathers)...

...and then at some point over the next 8 years or so, I literally forgot the entire language. Excelled in English beyond everyone else at my initial grade school (even earning a place in the regional gifted program at a different school, beginning in the 5th grade). By the time my mandatory French classes began - compulsory curriculum for every student in the country from 5th through 9th grade, after which it may be continued as an elective - I had completely forgotten it. How the hell is it even possible for somebody to forget their first language?!?! :confused:

So I've got a couple gallon containers of sweet cherries from my old man's tree I picked today. That was just what I could get to from the roof. Pretty good. Very sweet
Huh? He only has one sweet cherry tree? I thought you need 2 to get fruit from them? I'm pretty sure tart cherries are the only kind that do it solo.

You know something funny about Denver? You can't get a 3 Musketeers bar here with intact chocolate. The air in the nougat expands when they are shipped here and invariably cracks the chocolate in several places. Even on the mini ones.
You know something funny about Canada (and pretty much every country besides you guys)?

What you call Milky Ways (ie with caramel), we call Mars bars. And vice versa - Milky Way (which is pretty unpopular here) has no caramel here. Three Musketeers, which aren't terribly popular here either, are basically Milky Ways with slightly heavier nougat. And what you call Smarties, we call Rockets... Smarties are smalls discs of candy-coated chocolate, similar to M&Ms but not as good.

BobbiLynn said:

I think it's just they don't know what to do or say when I get all emotional, so they are just like, so, hey, do you want some of this? Like offering a crying kid a piece of candy. :p

Heh, maybe that IS what they're thinking.

Leadgolem said:

Guess I never thought about that!

Huh? He only has one sweet cherry tree? I thought you need 2 to get fruit from them? I'm pretty sure tart cherries are the only kind that do it solo.

In case you're interested, but not interested enough to google it yourself. ;)

Self fertile cherry varieties

Really burnt myelf out on growing veggies the last couple years. Went from no gardening experience, to having a small CSA and market garden. So no veggies yet this year, but finally getting the front end work done to plant fruit this fall and next spring. Not planting sweet cherries at first as I'm tryingt not to go overboard, but I am prepping to plant some tart cherries in March or so. Belgian schaarbeekse (Morello) cherry trees aren't avaialable, so I'm going with English Morello trees.

Now I just need some barrels. :D

BobbiLynn said:

It's their most prized possession, how could it not make a sad woman feel better? Thinks them

Well.....the first few years it didn't produce. At some point my Dad got fed up and told the tree "Go f*ck youself!" It's been putting out cherries ever since. :D

Really burnt myelf out on growing veggies the last couple years. Went from no gardening experience, to having a small CSA and market garden. So no veggies yet this year, but finally getting the front end work done to plant fruit this fall and next spring. Not planting sweet cherries at first as I'm tryingt not to go overboard, but I am prepping to plant some tart cherries in March or so. Belgian schaarbeekse (Morello) cherry trees aren't avaialable, so I'm going with English Morello trees.

Damn. Is there any way to get schaarbeek SEEDS at least, somehow??

emjay said:
How the hell is it even possible for somebody to forget their first language?!?! :confused:
My mother was born in Austria, and spent her first 14 years of life speaking only German, and a small amount of English. Now she speaks English with no trace of an accent, and though she speaks a little German(not as much as she fancies) she has mostly lost it. In fact I spotted a Dummies Guide at their house recently as she has a trip planned this summer with her siblings to visit the places she grew up in Austria and Germany.

My hair was light blond as kid. Gradually, from the age of about 7 to the age of 12 or so, it became a medium-dark brown. Happened to both my brothers too.

My eyes started as a fairly bright blue and are now a pale grey, usually leaning mostly towards green.

--- The rest of this post is just between me and you guys! ;) Seriously though!!!! ---

My weirdest change, however? French was the first language I learned. And I'm not even sure why, because although my mom is from Quebec, my dad STILL can't speak the language 27 years later, and he's been with me and my mom for my whole life. My first word was lumière, French for "light" (as in lightbulbs, rather than feathers)...

...and then at some point over the next 8 years or so, I literally forgot the entire language. Excelled in English beyond everyone else at my initial grade school (even earning a place in the regional gifted program at a different school, beginning in the 5th grade). By the time my mandatory French classes began - compulsory curriculum for every student in the country from 5th through 9th grade, after which it may be continued as an elective - I had completely forgotten it. How the hell is it even possible for somebody to forget their first language?!?! :confused:
Interesting you should mention the eyes. Mine went from emerald green to blue-gray.

You know something funny about Canada (and pretty much every country besides you guys)?

What you call Milky Ways (ie with caramel), we call Mars bars. And vice versa - Milky Way (which is pretty unpopular here) has no caramel here. Three Musketeers, which aren't terribly popular here either, are basically Milky Ways with slightly heavier nougat. And what you call Smarties, we call Rockets... Smarties are smalls discs of candy-coated chocolate, similar to M&Ms but not as good.
Interesting, what about pop rocks?

Huh. Didn't surprise me that one tree was fertile, but I just figured it was double grafted so you had a major limb from another variety.

Leadgolem said:
Huh. Didn't surprise me that one tree was fertile, but I just figured it was double grafted so you had a major limb from another variety.
That's what's more common. A Bing/Queen Anne/Ranier grafted tree. I've got a few, but they haven't started producing yet, only 3 years old.

Damn. Is there any way to get schaarbeek SEEDS at least, somehow??
You wouldn't want to. The types of cherry trees that produce desirable fruit have bad root stock. When you buy a commercial cherry tree it's almost always a fruit bearing variety grafted onto another root stock. Usually wild cherry.

Grafting is a pita. Not complicated, but it does have to be done precisely. That, and it's still kinda risky. Lots of newly grafted trees simply die. IMO, it really isn't worth the hassle to do yourself.

A few years ago I planted a hybrid dwarf peach that had been grafted on to a standard peach root stock. The thing struggled to survive and wouldn't really grow. One day a noticed a wild shoot coming from the root stock. I know typically you would want to clip a wild shoot on a grafted tree, but since the dwarf was struggling I let the wild shoot grow. Within two years the dwarf died off, and the wild shoot turned into a big, healthy peach tree. A lot of times wild shoots won't bare fruit, but this one has nice peaches all over it this year.

My ancestors were all produce farmers and nursery owners. When I was growing up I remember my grandfather was always grafting and breeding roses. He made so many that he had to give them away to neighbors. When I was a child the houses on my street all had roses that he had grafted. A lot of them were still there as recently as a few years ago. Slowly but surely they all died off, but that was mainly due to the fact they were neglected by people that don't seem to have pride in their yards these days. I'm betting some would still be around even now (35 years later) had they been cared for properly.

Back