I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a lot easier to keep up with the threads and read up everything that's been posted this time a night.

Yep. And a lot less smarty pants people undermining what others have opined about. I guess the smart people sleep at night?

BobbiLynn said:
Yep. And a lot less smarty pants people undermining what others have opined about. I guess the smart people sleep at night?

Smart people don't need to sleep. Dumb people get so overwhelmed by their own stupidity that it makes them unconscious by about 9pm.

Sorry folks, that was a spammer. You'll note that said spammer repeated post #4 in this thread. It's one of their many devious tricks. Spammer is gone.

We return you now to your previously scheduled program.

That spammer seemed nice. What type of music do you think is appropriate now?

So, I took some white chocolate coating stuff and mixed powdered coffee with it. Or that was the plan anyway. It turns out my blender won't actually powder anything, so it turned out more granulated. It's a bit grainy, but the flavor is very good.

The red things in the background are silicone mini muffin pans. The orange thing in the middle is a tuaca ice shot glass mold. I found this just after filling the rest of the mini muffin pans, so I dug some of the mix out of the muffin pans to fill it. On the pan, the leftovers that didn't initially fit in the muffin pans.

Since the chocoffee was starting to set, I put the shot glass mold in the microwave for a couple of bursts of 30 seconds. I shook the mold in between to try and get the air bubbles out. I won't know how those came out until tomorrow.

After tasting the chocofee so much, I'm not sure I'm going to be sleeping this week...

DSC_0005.jpg

It looks like I got this stuff a little to warm in the shot glass molds and lost the temper. One also had a weak spot that cracked when I was taking it out of the mold.

DSC_0001.jpg

It looks like I got this stuff a little to warm in the shot glass molds and lost the temper. One also had a weak spot that cracked when I was taking it out of the mold.

What do you do now, fill them with whipped cream and eat them?

What do you do now, fill them with whipped cream and eat them?
That isn't a bad idea. I was thinking more of kahlua though. Or, perhaps chocolate mouse.

This was more a proof of concept though, I wasn't sure how well something like chocolate would take to that mold. It's pretty narrow. I was also mildly concerned the mold wouldn't hold up well to the heat. The next time I make these I will probably do either milk or white chocolate, then fill them with strawberry or cherry pie filling. Then top with whipped cream.

That isn't a bad idea. I was thinking more of kahlua though. Or, perhaps chocolate mouse.

This was more a proof of concept though, I wasn't sure how well something like chocolate would take to that mold. It's pretty narrow. I was also mildly concerned the mold wouldn't hold up well to the heat. The next time I make these I will probably do either milk or white chocolate, then fill them with strawberry or cherry pie filling. Then top with whipped cream.

Or Bailey's Irish cream! Strawberry pie filling also sounds very good with the whipped cream.

bobbilynn you are not eccentric, or that crazy lady.
The world needs more of your resourcefulness.
We all pray for your strength and for your husband to return strong.

Well, thank you. Was forced to be strong and resourceful, no limits. Today unloaded some big pipe things from the trailer and moved them across the driveway(pushing, pulling, then rolling them). To load them, a fork lift was used. Gonna use them to fix the driveway right if the city doesn't step in. It could be years before the water levels go down after the 2 floods we had in the last 12 months. 18 inches of rain from hurricane Debby and now the other 10.5 inches from last week. Driveway is one mile long and the city uses it as a road. They lease land from us to run their power lines. 100 year lease signed by grandpa about 40 years ago. Still 60 years on the lease and if they want access, they will have to fix the driveway/dirt road. Maybe soon it will be dry enough to get out with the camera, but now, got the truck parked by the mailboxes and taking my 4-wheeler to get to it if needed. Water is running under it in more places now and washing it away in a bunch of spots. Tubing is under there for water to flow, but so old it's corroding and collapsing. And an old bridge that's barely holding up.

What used to be one small creek has now split off making 3 different little rivers. At one time water ran through those crevices, and, for the first time in probably 25 years or more, they are flowing again. I wish Grandpa was here to see it. If he were here still, I bet he'd be on the phone with the city, blaming them for the driveway eroding so quickly, running their trucks back and forth. Make them fix it. Dang... I'm rambling... anyway, I don't even know what it's called, can't remember, but the tractor with the bucket on the front that digs up dirt, new piping, fill in with the massive supply of broken bricks we have on the property, and dirt dug up... other option is another bridge in the worst spot. I have enough heavy beams on site to build one. And metal beams to re-enforce the existing little bridge. Hmmm...

In memory of Dan, who will be back, but he's still lenting, I will continue to ramble. If Dan is the Rambling King, I want to be the Queen.

Family is nice to have but most of the time I feel like I'm dragging them along. Wake up! We have to plant the sorghum! Again, I'm sitting here waiting for the sun. 5 AM now, coffee brewing.

Personally I'd make vanilla pudding, substituting Bailey's for some of the milk, then pour in and let them set up in the fridge.

Now that sounds really good! I'm drinking coffee, still waiting for the sun.

Yesterday I tranferred my Kashi Cinnamon Harvest cereal blend and had to taste it. There is a spicy type tone to it, but would be hard to identify as cinnamon if you didn't know it was there. Was tempted to add extra cinnamon to the secondary, but, no. I just hope it keeps it's spicy undertones as it ages. I wouldn't mind trading a bottle of it with someone. All natural cereal made with 7 whole grains.... makes great beer!

Still rambling while I wait for the sun.... added a school of angel fish to my mural. Stenciled them, 2 yellow, 2 pinkish-purple, 2 blue-green and one an orangy color. Just added a face and scales to one of them, mixing up more paint to do the details on the rest of them. What's everyone else doing? Sleeping?

Still rambling while I wait for the sun.... added a school of angel fish to my mural. Stenciled them, 2 yellow, 2 pinkish-purple, 2 blue-green and one an orangy color. Just added a face and scales to one of them, mixing up more paint to do the details on the rest of them. What's everyone else doing? Sleeping?

On the train headed to Connecticut here. Should arrive in an hour, work for eight and then schlep back home!

I just got back from my weekend of beer... boy... lot of the things that happend there are blurry... it was a great way of knowing fisrt hand the amazing level of beers being brew here in Spain and finally knowing the guys I talked trough our forum. Just wanted to share.

See ya guys/girls

I had one of those weekends as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have not tried any new beers for well over a year and spent some time trying many new types like a barley wine.

Bobbi I am enjoying a cup of coffee as well. I love early morning :p

Bobbi I am enjoying a cup of coffee as well. I love early morning :p

Yes, the sun has woken up and the birds are singing. But 33 degrees out, way too cold for me. I'm painting more scales and faces on my fish. Some of the fish look happy and some look indifferent. The smiling ones are the leaders and the indifferent ones are the followers. I made one yellow and one pink fish smiling. Trying to find small circular objects to use as stencils for more bubbles. Stencil them in a whitish-grey color then add shadows. The artwork looks almost abstract so not sure how others would see it, interpret it. Will keep it to myself until I'm finished. More scales, more details needed.

Oh, and v-man, are you really interested in buying old scale(s)? Came across another great find for measuring ounces up to 50 pounds. A standing scale with drop buckets on either side. From the 1960s or 70s. Shipping costs on it would be a lot, I assume, so maybe you drive down here and pick it up. A Florida vacation would be nice, right? When I can safely get to the old barn without getting soaked, I'll show you a pic.

Heck yes I would be interested. And I can use fedex and get it done for cost :rockin:

I will have to look up it's value, not giving it away, but you can have first dibs on it. Probably worth a couple hundred bucks esp. if I can find all the weights to go with it, already found one missing pounder, was with my other scale. Not a cheap scale, well made, last lifetimes. :)

Cool. Hehe now I get to tell my wife I might be buying another old thing. Good thing she enjoys it as well :p

The closest thing I could find to it online was made in the 1950s. I think the one I have is from that era as well. I want to drive over to the barn with the camera but it's so wet out there, even in a ziplock baggie, I don't want to bring the camera, yet. Surely, the rain will stop for a while soon. Or we adapt and grow different crops. I'm making lists for each person in the family that lives on this property. "To do" lists. Started as my own "To Do" list, but realized I can't do it alone. Here's your list, just got back from knocking on their doors before they left for "real" jobs. Everyone just sleepily nodded and agreed to their lists. Catch them while they are off guard!! Haha! I am begging my kids to come home for Spring break but they want to hang out with their friends instead. :confused:

Oh well, it's me and my dog and my telephone friends and my internet friends and the owls, squirrels and opossums. And bees and wasps, and fire-ants too. And my oregano and chives and huge compost pile...

Alright, it's getting really close to being officially Monday morning. Someone start another pot of coffee.

I just started some hashbrowns and bacon. Funny thing about breakfast around my place is we all eat different foods. I cook a big breakfast while my kid likes the cold cereal and my wife like rolled oats.

Sucks about the rain. For me it would be depressing to have that much rain. Of course many find snowy winters just as bad :D

Sucks about the rain. For me it would be depressing to have that much rain. Of course many find snowy winters just as bad :D

Esp. when a lot of the rain comes through the roof. ;-( Fixing roof is on the To Do list.

I, for one, would love to brew a goat pee voodoo witch magic beer.
I think I'm going to have to brew a goat pee voodoo witch magic beer. Or, to be more accurate, a goats milk based beer with savory spices. Not sure how to do the voodoo part yet though.

I think I'm going to have to brew a goat pee voodoo witch magic beer. Or, to be more accurate, a goats milk based beer with savory spices. Not sure how to do the voodoo part yet though.

You could make a voodoo doll and just set it next to the fermenter, or on top of it. If you can't sew, you can take a piece of fabric, stuff the head with something and tie a rubber band around the "neck", then tie knots for the arms and legs. Stick a couple pins in it and you are done! :mug:

I guess I'll bottle while waiting for the sun again. UPS finally delivered my supplies at 10 PM last night. No clue where they left it though, says left at "garage". Maybe they are calling hubby's barn a garage, or left at the wrong house in one of the family member's garages. We don't have a "garage".

My cases of beer are now stacked nine high. Finally all my work is coming together. So worried about running out, I don't want to drink it. Sun finally got here so must go look for my package, grain, hops and a little fresh yeast. I have lived to brew another day.

BobbiLynn said:
My cases of beer are now stacked nine high. Finally all my work is coming together. So worried about running out, I don't want to drink it. Sun finally got here so must go look for my package, grain, hops and a little fresh yeast. I have lived to brew another day.

I wish I had cases stacked nine high. I've got 3 kegs in now, a case of barleywine and some assorted bombers. Time to brew methinks. Imperial Cascadian Dark Ale, why yes, of course. I will add coffee roasted during the brew session...

Thanks to some friends I was able to bottle last night. I have 4 cases in the cellar when I normally have 2 cases. Most likely 3 cases in six packs strung around and 9 cases piled in my office. And one fermenter about half way done now.

Yup I am not going to brew anytime soon I think

Varmintman said:
Thanks to some friends I was able to bottle last night. I have 4 cases in the cellar when I normally have 2 cases. Most likely 3 cases in six packs strung around and 9 cases piled in my office. And one fermenter about half way done now.

Yup I am not going to brew anytime soon I think

I brew every two weeks regardless of how much I have. The times when I blow through more than I brew make up for the rare times when I don't keep up with it. I give a LOT of beer away.

On a positive note: the city of Visalia is very enthusiastic for the opening of a brewery in the near future. The economic development department has recommended some locations they would prefer, and incentives were implied if those locations are utilized. Three potential 100% investors have emerged and would like a sit down, and a local sanitary dairy welder has just completed his business licensing process and is ready in the next 6 mo. or so to build his first brewhouse. Things seem to be on a roll.

During the summer I will drink more and I will have to brew more. Just been kind of weird the last few months I have not drank much at all.

Cool stuff on the brewery. Might be a opportunity to go in on some group buys for your grain. Guy I talked to the other day said he would but that brewery is a ways to drive to.

Back