I like Natural Light.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of BMC brews. I used to (and still do) drink MGD with my grandpa though when I head out to his place. He has also recently taken a liking to Blue Moon.

Why homebrew
if you like another kind of beer and it's cheap and much less
work to just buy it?
Ray

This to me is the worst statement in this thread. I love beer, and I love craft beer more than any other kind - I love malty beers, hoppy beers, super balanced beers, and beers of any style... that said, I also love cheap-ass beer, and in no way does it impact my homebrewing. If anything, homebrewing and drinking craft beer has made me realize the place that cheap beer has. It can be refreshing, and easy to drink without filling you up like heavier beers can - so it's worth it for me.

Homebrewing is a craft - it's not about replacing other beer with home-made beer, but it's about being able to produce and create beers that you enjoy - it doesn't mean you have to ignore every commercial beer out there, and BMC is no exception. They have their place, and plenty of people enjoy both of them for different reasons, as evidenced in this thread.

Um, what does money have to do with anything. This thread is about admitting to drinking light BMC lager on occasion and not being ashamed about it. If you think wealth and taste are at all related, I can assure you they are are not. Implying that only those without money drink light BMC beer, well that is just plain snobbery, dude.

I didn't get that impression. The way I understood Ray's thread was to say that the type of person who typically homebrew's, is typically the kind of person that spends more money on beer, if for no other reason than because it's typically pretty expensive to homebrew. So it is surprising, when in a group of people who typically spend more money on beer, there is such a large turnout of people who occasionally imbibe with cheaper stuff.

It'd be like in a forum on fine watches, a popular thread popping up about people who like their Casio digital watches. It's not snobby to point out the irony there.

I didn't get that impression. The way I understood Ray's thread was to say that the type of person who typically homebrew's, is typically the kind of person that spends more money on beer.

Interesting... I find the opposite to be true. Most of my Homebrew friends are into saving a buck as well as the enjoyment of the process and learning experience. My rich buddies are out buying $150 kegs of DFH 90 minute. :mug:

FWIW, I've yet to meet a homebrewer who could fairly replicate a true light american lager. I'm sure there are some out there and on this forum with that skill, but it's a lot harder to make one of those than say a big IPA, which is pretty forgiving.

If folks don't like it, I get it... just saying.;)

That's because we don't brew with rice or corn.

No, I've definitely brewed with rice extracts to lighten a summer "lawnmower" ale and bring less body into a brew without watering down.

It's just really, really, hard to get the flavor consistency achieved by BMCs on light lagers. There is so little flavor to cover up mistakes that it makes it very hard to achieve a good balance. I've got respect for the commercial brewers who manage to make it taste the same no matter the season or brew location... that's got to be tough.

As a general rule, around here we don't associate with Natty Light drinkers.

What do you mean around here? like in this forum or at your house? because as a general rule, the best brewers I've been around appreciate all beer and understand that beer is very much a "to each his own" sort of thing. If you can't appreciate a natty light then you just don't love beer as much as others around here.

I've been known to tap the rockies and live the high life from time to time.

College was all about Beast and Ice Beast and until I spent a semester in Copenhagen I was convinced that I just didn't like beer at all.

I didn't get that impression. The way I understood Ray's thread was to say that the type of person who typically homebrew's, is typically the kind of person that spends more money on beer, if for no other reason than because it's typically pretty expensive to homebrew. So it is surprising, when in a group of people who typically spend more money on beer, there is such a large turnout of people who occasionally imbibe with cheaper stuff.

It'd be like in a forum on fine watches, a popular thread popping up about people who like their Casio digital watches. It's not snobby to point out the irony there.

Yes, the money is part of it but my point is
mainly about flavor. I think of people home brewing
because they want flavor, and maybe partly
because you can make great micro-brew style
beer for less than you can buy it, providing you
want to do the work. But if you really like bmc
lite, why would you even be involved in home
brewing? I can't homebrew just because it's
the latest fad or because it's in interesting
process, I have to be able to make a product
I can't get anywhere else easily. If all there were to
beer were bmc lite, I wouldn't home brew,
because I can get that product cheap and
with little effort on my part. That kind of
beer isn't about flavor, it's about being
a cheap way to quench your thirst or get drunk,
as far as I can tell. I want beer that suits
my taste without spending a fortune, it's
not cheap but it's cheaper than $5-6 drafts
at the brewpub or bar, and I can make it
exactly to suit my taste. Those advantages
are inconsistent with bmc lite. Just like I
wouldn't make my own ginger ale unless it
was actually better than commercial stuff,
because I couldn't make it cheaper.
Ray

But if you really like bmc
brewing?
Ray

Why is it so hard for you to understand that some of us can appreciate (like) both? I like lots of things in life, why can't I enjoy either or depending on my mood, situation, environment, etc.?

Why is it so hard for you to understand that some of us can appreciate (like) both? I like lots of things in life, why can't I enjoy either or depending on my mood, situation, environment, etc.?

I enjoy a lot of things too but my tastes are usually
consistent. I like making my own hot sauce too, but
I make it hot with fresh ingredients and cilantro, if
all I wanted was mild sauce with too much salt and no
cilantro, I wouldn't bother making it, I can buy it off
the shelf.

I guess what's really bothering me is that I can
see the reason for all the calls to age your beer,
and "use American ale yeast, it's the best!" etc.
Most drinkers in this country are conditioned to
like over-carbonated, low-body, relatively flavorless
beers, and in order to duplicate that you have
to duplicate at least in part the high-tech methods
of bmc, which are antithetical, imo, to the techniques
and ingredients that work best in home brewing.
So any advice I give on brewing probably isn't going
to result in the beer that at least the beginning
brewers would like, and I'm going to have to continually
argue with the "age your beer" crowd because it's
not necessarily going to result in a beer that drinkers
who like a more flavorful brew will like.

Ray

Yes, the money is part of it but my point is
mainly about flavor. I think of people home brewing
because they want flavor, and maybe partly
because you can make great micro-brew style
beer for less than you can buy it, providing you
want to do the work. But if you really like bmc
brewing? I can't homebrew just because it's
the latest fad or because it's in interesting
process, I have to be able to make a product
I can't get anywhere else easily.

I can't believe that you cannot seem to understand that people DO homebrew because they enjoy the craft. It's not about taking the easy way out. It's not about brewing as a substitute for buying beer. Your argument that if you like BMC beer on any level you shouldn't homebrew is completely ignorant. It is completely, 100% possible to brew a beer that you enjoy and also crack a BMC every once in a while without those two things being mutually exclusive.

It absolutely blows my mind that you think this.

I'm going to have to continually

Um... what? That's an argument you will never win, because it's asinine. Ageing beer isn't done because it changes a ****ty beer to a good one - it's done because it leads to the beer you were trying to create in the first place and allows the flavors to blend and create what they were supposed to. That's fine if your idea of a "flavorful brew" is green beer, but it ain't mine.

rayg,

I don't think anyone here primarily brews beers that taste like BMC lights. A couple people have mentioned trying it, just for the heck of it, but no one does it consistently because it's difficult to do and cheap to buy the real stuff. The stand you're taking seems to be that people who enjoy an occasional BMC shouldn't be homebrewing, and that's just an ignorant, close-minded stand.

Also, stop hitting the enter key after every few words.

I'll have a Pabst or Corona if I'm really slumming it.

I got my got my college debauchery in over pitchers of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (and some [not including myself] now think even THAT is slumming it, believe it). So I'm not quite sure I'd be the one to agree with the OP. BMC do have their individual niches in the beer world, but in the world of homebrewing, they shouldnt come into play or even onto the radar screen. I think they are rocky mountain pi$$ personally and would rather drink iced tea if given the opportunity. Drunkenness isnt worth the taste. I'd rather be awake than contorting my lips like a just bit into a lemon.

I'm a bit of a snob, sue ME.

It is completely, 100% possible to brew a beer that you enjoy and also crack a BMC every once in a while without those two things being mutually exclusive.

It absolutely blows my mind that you think this.

Well, it absolutely blows my mind that
you think THAT. Sure, you can "crack"
a BMC if you want to get drunk cheaply,
but nobody is going to convince me that
they drink it for the flavor, because there
isn't any.

Ray

Ray

Obviously you have no idea why aging beer is often necessary.

Ray
Wow, well stated for something that has zero merit. Members of this board advise new brewers to age their beers when they claim some type of "off flavor" which experienced brewers know are just inherent in green beer. We are trying to stop them from dumping out beer that is perfectly good but just too young. This has nothing to do with making beer more bland.

I've also never heard anyone on this board lobby for the use of American Ale yeast when the style did not warrant it (I believe you just pulled that out of your a** to prove an already invalid point)

isn't any.

Ray

"But if you really like bmc
brewing?"

MOST IGNORANT STATEMENT IN THIS THREAD, HANDS DOWN.

isn't any.

Ray

I've run into plenty of beer snobs, but this is the first time I've run into a homebrew snob!

Perhaps as you come along and refine your palate a bit, you can appreciate the subtleties in flavor that come with the lighter styles of beer.

If you think you can't make a good flavored beer with American Ale Yeast....well, um, wow. Go check BeerAdvocate's top 25 beers, compare the styles listed to a book of styles and see how many of them American Ale Yeast is appropriate for.

The rayg school of wisdom:
Nobody can possibly like light lagers
American Ale Yeast drains your beer of flavor
Aging beer is for idiots

Is it just me or does someone only drink heffeweizens? :fro:

my step-dad VERN drinks natty lite every day....all day every day......pbr is cool but when it comes to cheep beer COLT 45 takes the prize....clean refreshing and a good buzzzzzzz

Ever since the movie "Beer Wars" I cant bring myself to drink another Bud, Coors, miller or PBR. I just cant stomach it... The big 3 have done so much to hinder the growth of micro brews its not even funny.

If you haven't seen the movie (its on netflix) than i highly suggest it.

My dad will only drink Natty. He tries everything, but swears to everybody that Natty is the best. On the rare occasion that he finds a bar that has it, he is like a kid in a candy store. My friends come to my house and see a fridge stocked with a wide variety of craft beers and homebrew, but the top shelf is always dad's Natty. Pretty funny.

Ever since the movie "Beer Wars" I cant bring myself to drink another Bud, Coors, miller or PBR. I just cant stomach it... The big 3 have done so much to hinder the growth of micro brews its not even funny.

My wife, who never thought about beer, hates the big three. She's so funny.

There is no law anywhere that says that I can't enjoy both steak and cheesecake.

I believe that analogy applies here.

I like Natural Light fine for what it is.

My roommate drinks almost exclusively PBR so that's what I end up drinking much of the time. It's not unusual to see him walking down the street from the liquor store with a 30 rack in each hand. At $30 for 60 beers how can you go wrong.

I went through the same thing after I saw it. I was all mad at the big corporate breweries for a while because of the marketing strategies talked about in that documentary.

I did the same thing when I saw 'Super Size Me'. I didn't eat McDonald's for about 6 months. Then... they brought back the McRib! All is forgiven... All is forgiven.... :ban:

Back