I like Caribou Slobber - Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadshomebrew

Reaction score
Hi guys

I brewed Northern brewers caribou slobber (moose drool) and loved it. A fabulous brew that has got me interested in brown ales and other nicely balanced malty beers. Previously i would consider myself a hop head.

How about some suggestions for some other commercial browns or similar that I can try, and then maybe develop some recipe ideas.

I did try ommegangs hennepin and it was fine, but no slobber.

Try the Galaxy Brown from Rebel Brewer. Similar to Slobber, but different with the use of Galaxy hops. I can't decide which I like better.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm not the biggest fan of brown ales but three of my favorites are Clown Shoes' Brown Angel, Dogfish Head's Indian Brown, and Smuttynose's Old Brown Dog.

The Brown Angel is more bitter and has a better hop presence than the other two but all three are worth trying.

:mug:

Hi guys

I brewed Northern brewers caribou slobber (moose drool) and loved it. A fabulous brew that has got me interested in brown ales and other nicely balanced malty beers. Previously i would consider myself a hop head.

How about some suggestions for some other commercial browns or similar that I can try, and then maybe develop some recipe ideas.

I did try ommegangs hennepin and it was fine, but no slobber.

Moose Drool is the beer that got me interested in brown ales. It is currently my favorite beer.
Another beer that I really like is New Belgium's 1554 Black Lager. Although not a brown ale, it is very much like one and quite smooth and balanced. Here is the description from N.B.

Born of a flood and centuries-old Belgian text, 1554 Black Lager uses a lager yeast strain and dark chocolaty malts to redefine what dark beer can be. In 1997, a Fort Collins flood destroyed the original recipe our researcher, Phil Benstein, found in the library. So Phil and brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, traveled to Belgium to retrieve this unique style lost to the ages. Their first challenge was deciphering antiquated script and outdated units of measurement, but trial and error (and many months of in-house sampling) culminated in 1554, a highly quaffable dark beer with a moderate body and mouthfeel.

Back