I let the fermentation get to hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadking

Reaction score
I brewed an all grain oatmeal brown ale and it got up to about 78 degrees during fermentation which is what I am attributing the fusel alcohol taste to. My question is will the alcohol taste mellow out in time or is it a bum batch? They have only been in bottles for about two weeks. I always try one at the two week mark to gauge their progress.

I have never known fusels to mellow or fade enough to where you won't notice it. Drink it up and ferment you next batch in the mid to high 60's. Remember that the fermentation temperature can be 5-10 degrees higher than ambient temperature.

Hmmm..I will let it sit for a few more weeks then try one again. I will make my decision then on what to do with it. It would be to bad if I had to dump it, I used some pretty nice ingredients.

A few weeks definitely won't make a difference. These guys are saying if you age it 6 months then *maybe* it will be slightly less jet fuelish. I agree, however, that fusel alcohols do not age out to any significant degree.

Latest posts

Back