I know it will be drinkable but ugh...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashTunnelOfLove

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a new home that I have space/autonomy to do as I please (within reason lol). The fiance has had a pretty good sense of humor with me taking up half a basement with hunting items and annexing the study to be a gun room. I finally got around to pulling out my limited brewing gear and invited a friend over to be an extra set of hands after 6 years in the dark. I only ever did a few extract brews so I was from being comfortable/confident in the process. Add in a few too many brews pre-boil and the following occurred.

Local brew store Belgian Amber extract kit
Stats: OG 1.052 FG 1.013 12 SRM

Could have let the steeping grains drain longer
Started drinking too early
Didn't warm up my LME and definitely left some behind
Late spanish moss addition
Didn't stir up the wort once topping off in the 6.5 and was completely disheartened by the OG reading (maybe a beer too many)
Got worried and just dumped all the trub into the 6.5 thinking I added to much water (okay, maybe 2 beers too many)
Didn't grab my liquid yeast out of the kegerator until pitching time and proceeded to break the nutrient pack by slapping it across the room out of my friends hand at my unsuspecting fiance (she confirmed I had at least 3 beers too many)
Haven't had the greatest temperature control after the outside temp dropped to below zero and the heat vent has been relatively close

Took 2.5 days to kick off fermentation which I kind of expected after recalling what I had done. Just racked to a secondary after day 13 when the gravity was at 1.019. The beer is so dark it looks like a munich dunkel in the 5 gal carboy. I'll test it in a week or so and go from there.

Damn, that sounds like way more fun than stressing over everything and nailing the timing just right for hop additions. Note to self: Next time get hammered prior to brewing.

2nd note to self: Ignore first note. Wife does not have a sense of humor about such things.

Bought a new home that I have space/autonomy to do as I please (within reason lol). The fiance has had a pretty good sense of humor with me taking up half a basement with hunting items and annexing the study to be a gun room. I finally got around to pulling out my limited brewing gear and invited a friend over to be an extra set of hands after 6 years in the dark. I only ever did a few extract brews so I was from being comfortable/confident in the process. Add in a few too many brews pre-boil and the following occurred.

Local brew store Belgian Amber extract kit
Stats: OG 1.052 FG 1.013 12 SRM

Could have let the steeping grains drain longer
Started drinking too early
Didn't warm up my LME and definitely left some behind
Late spanish moss addition
Didn't stir up the wort once topping off in the 6.5 and was completely disheartened by the OG reading (maybe a beer too many)
Got worried and just dumped all the trub into the 6.5 thinking I added to much water (okay, maybe 2 beers too many)
Didn't grab my liquid yeast out of the kegerator until pitching time and proceeded to break the nutrient pack by slapping it across the room out of my friends hand at my unsuspecting fiance (she confirmed I had at least 3 beers too many)
Haven't had the greatest temperature control after the outside temp dropped to below zero and the heat vent has been relatively close

Took 2.5 days to kick off fermentation which I kind of expected after recalling what I had done. Just racked to a secondary after day 13 when the gravity was at 1.019. The beer is so dark it looks like a munich dunkel in the 5 gal carboy. I'll test it in a week or so and go from there.
The good news: yours is not the first Belgian Dunkel ever brewed under the influence... RDWHAHB.

Latest posts

Back