I know.....36hr and no signs of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkoegel

Reaction score
I know, I have read everything about waiting and waiting but this is my first beer. I have made a few batches of cider to date and fermentation has always started in the first few hours, never a delay like this.
My wort (Brewers Best Octoberfest kit) is now sitting in the carboy with all of the yeast settled on the bottom. Since I dont have a lagering setup It was recommended that I use an ale yeast so I pitched a packet of Nottingham.(re-hydrated 10min then pitched). I question the yeast because the LHBS did not even keep it in the fridge. Exp date is not until October.
Would it cause any problems if at this point I pitched the included packet of dry lager yeast provided with the kit directly into the carboy as the kit instructions recommend? The kit instructions insist that great beer can still be made at room temp with the lager yeast. (65deg. in my basement)

24 hrs from now you will wonder why you worried about this and made another "no signs of fermentation" post. Take a deep breath and step away from the carboy.

You'll definitely want to study up on patience if your going to homebrew.,:)

I just had the same thing happen to me, 48 hours of no fermentation, no krausen, Dead Yeast packet. depending on your temperature, you can try and raise it a few degrees and swirl your carboy a bit to rouse the yeasties but if its not responding within 12 hours, you're likely gonna be repitching in 24 hours

I used spring water for everything.
Rehydrated in 1/2 cup water at 85deg
pitched into the wort at 75.
now its chillin in the basement at 66.
Every batch of cider I have ever done was fermenting away within 12 hours with wine yeast. ec-1118, d47, 71b-1122, etc.
The only reason I am concerned is the wort is clear, still amber, but not milky/cloudy like its full off little yeasties. And the yeast has settled into a compact layer of lees on the bottom like my cider always clears when fermentation is done.

oh yeah, OG 1.052

Thats probably not yeast at the bottom, but break material. If you're still not showing any signs of fermentation (concerning gravity) then you can repitch tomorrow. Make sure you have MAJOR sanitization measures (spray bottle with star san is my goto) and pitch it dry, I didnt rehydrate and had fermentation with-in 8 hours (I also dont use Notty, S-05 for me but thats your call)

Back