I just broke a hydrometer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonbrew

Reaction score
Man! I hope that isn't a bad omen for this BCS Kolsched Cream Ale.

I knocked it off the table by accident. Good thing I have a backup.

Yep, now I have to get a back-up for the back-up.

Last week it was a stir-bar... poured it right down the drain when I rinsed out my flask...

First brew day the wind blew mine off of the table. Got a new one for 2nd brew day and it was a dud, sank right to the bottom of the testing jar.

I just got my thirty dollar eBay refractometer in the mail (free shipping) yesterday! Very Cool and easy to use shiny new toy!

yeah... i have a theory that you can tell how much/how long someone has been brewing by asking them how many hydrometers they have broken.

my latest break: rinsed off the hydrometer and was shaking off the water holding the skinny part of it... needless to say they skinny part is very weak.

Did you try a magnet on a stick to get the stir bar back?

It went down the drain of my shop sink in the basement... I took the trap off looking for it but it was long gone.

You guys have just about convinced me to break down and get a refractometer.

Get a refractometer.

I have had the same wonderful hydrometer since I started brewing in '90. Still going strong. But I finally decided to break down and upgrade to a refractometer. One of the simplest choices to make.

I accidentally broke my hydrometer too, I only had it a few months.
I bought a refractometer, and a pipette. All I'm missing now is the white lab coat.

Anyone accidently broken their refractometer and replaced it with a hydrometer?

I have my refactometer in it's own draw in it's own padded case. I'm considering building a shrine to it.With it's own light source so that nothing else is lighted by it, contaminating it with rouge photons.

This weekend, I forgot to take a reading on my extract (to determine efficiency). I finally remembered when it was well on its way to boiling. I opened the valve and filled the hydrometer jar - mine is plastic. I set it aside to cool, leaning it in a corner of the window sill.

Well, when I went to take a reading, the thing had more than a slight curve to it. The hydrometer still moves freely in the jar, but I am concerned that there is too much contact with the sides.

Anyone found something readily available that works well as a hydrometer jar?

Yeah, in a pinch the case (plastic tube) will work, but they kind of leak.

I tried it cause I broke my test jar when I broke the hydrometer... they both fell off the table together.

Back