I ****ing love home brewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not even drunk but....
The other day I took some time off work to brew and get caught up on household stuff.
I was jamming to some great tunes (Iron & Wine and Calexico) and watching my boil.
As I was cleaning my fermenter I was watching my timer. 15 minutes left in the boil. I was going through my mental checklist.
-Fermenter, check
-Whirlfloc, check
-15 minute hops, check
-Immersion chiller, gotta get out and place in the boil
-Buckets to catch chiller water, check

I realized that as I got closer to end of boil, I was getting practically giddy.
It dawned on me that, yes I love beer but more importantly I love the process. Even the cleaning part. For half a day I’m only focused on making beer. Nothing else.

If a machine was invented that made beer with zero input from user, I’d have zero interest in it. It’s not like I’m a Luddite, I’m I’m using a new Anvil Foundry. There’s still enough manual things to do to produce beer.

Right there with you! Unfortunately I haven’t had too much time to brew but the few times I have I so enjoy it!

After moving into a new house last year I had a lot of new neighbors stopping and asking either what is that OR “what beer are you making?” Beer it’s what brings the neighborhood together!

Nice to see people enjoying their hobby!

In the last year or so, I tried to find a new hobby. Less virtual presence, more real world activities. I tried music, electronic, flying drones. Nothing caught on. Then I met a brewer. I tried extract brewing a few years ago but I hated it. So I went all grain with an all-in-one Anvil Foundry. Now i brew every Sunday and I love it.

Right there with you! Thanks to Covid and only working a hybrid schedule (3 days on, 2 off) since last March, I have been brewing pretty much every two weeks and love it. And when not brewing, I am reading these forums, tweaking recipes and just doing brewing stuff all the time. When the world goes back to normal and I have to work 5 days a week and can only brew on weekends, I am not going to know what to do with myself!

I agree...it's very much an outlet for me to be creative...i'm not very handy or talented in the arts of music or making things with my hands but I can cook and brewing is an extension of that.

I’m not even drunk but....
The other day I took some time off work to brew and get caught up on household stuff.
I was jamming to some great tunes (Iron & Wine and Calexico) and watching my boil.
As I was cleaning my fermenter I was watching my timer. 15 minutes left in the boil. I was going through my mental checklist.
-Fermenter, check
-Whirlfloc, check
-15 minute hops, check
-Immersion chiller, gotta get out and place in the boil
-Buckets to catch chiller water, check

I realized that as I got closer to end of boil, I was getting practically giddy.
It dawned on me that, yes I love beer but more importantly I love the process. Even the cleaning part. For half a day I’m only focused on making beer. Nothing else.

If a machine was invented that made beer with zero input from user, I’d have zero interest in it. It’s not like I’m a Luddite, I’m I’m using a new Anvil Foundry. There’s still enough manual things to do to produce beer.
I know the feeling!!

Right there with you! Unfortunately I haven’t had too much time to brew but the few times I have I so enjoy it!

After moving into a new house last year I had a lot of new neighbors stopping and asking either what is that OR “what beer are you making?” Beer it’s what brings the neighborhood together!
This happened last night...we already see our neighbors a lot when our kids play or just to chat.
I was in my garage kegging, and started to spill a bit, so opened the garage door to hose it down.
The neighbor's party from across the street migrated to my garage...
Well, I didn't have any tap set up at the time, so I took my liquid qd jumper apart so it was basically a 4mm evabarrier line on the end of a liquid qd.
I sanitized a few mason jars I had in my keezer and had everybody hold them in a line and I tapped the keg an filled em up quickly!
The beer has spunded and cold crashed so it was mostly clear and somewhat fizzy, and not too bad for the first beer on a brand new system.
Great how brewing brings people together!
Also people aren't too picky when the beer's free...😝

+Infinity. Since I started homebrewing I've never found another hobby that is so enjoyable and fulfilling. I really love the whole process, from creating recipes, shopping for grain, and finally getting up at the crack of stupid on a Saturday or Sunday and brewing. I too have considered going to an all-in electric system, where some of the process is replaced by just pushing buttons; but where's the fun in that?

The thing I really love about it, is the math, science, and physics that go along with brewing; I was a mediocre student in school because nothing really interested me. I've learned more about chemistry, physics, and biology in the last 5 years than I ever could have learned in school. Finally, drinking something that I created out of my own little head, that tastes good, and occasionally wins me some swag, is absolutely wonderful.

Exactly!! For all the money I’ve spent so far on the hobby, I could’ve purchase a lot of fine beers at my local liquor store! The process is probably the biggest part of why most of us are brewing 😁.

Back