I hope i didnt make a mistake please help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalbrewer1796

Reaction score
I have a batch going with an airlock. The beer took off and had a lot of foam and kept filling my airlock and close to completely clogging so I kept changing it out. I haven't had to change it in a while but did I damage my batch by breaking the seal

Ya man you're toast. Best bet is to bottle it up and ship it my way. I will dispose of it for free.

In all seriousness you're fine. Think about this, if you want to get a sniff of it or take a sample with a wine thief you'd have to break the seal.

You are fine. That's pretty common especially with certain beers like wheat. Don't sweat it. You can always stick your flexible hose that comes with siphoning kits in the hole and stick the other end in a bottle or pitcher of water for example until it calms down. That way the foam just ends up in some water and you don't have to keep replacing airlocks. It's usually referred to as a blow off tube.

yeah, just use a blowoff tube for the first couple days.. then you can stick an airlock on for the rest of the duration.. come to think of it, i'll have to switch my blowoff tubes tonight.. thanks for reminding me

Back