I have to drill into my brand new kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSmug

Reaction score
Just read the fine print on my Summit Kegerator (SBC-500B) and it turns out it only has 2.5 inch column and for a dual tap I need to re-drill the 3 tower onto the top of it. Has anyone done this? If so, how did it turn out? Anything I should be aware of before attempting to do this?

Also, is this practice standard for most kegerators when upgrading for a single to dual/triple tap?

Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem, I remember that note from my search on Kegerators. I had assumed I'd need to do the same on my BevAir but fortunately it came drilled for a 3" tower. The top is probably thin sheet metal in and out separated by foam (that's what mine is) and it will drill easily. Make sure you mark well (measure once, cut twice :) ) and the bit will go through easily. Even though I didn't need to drill for my tower, I did drill a couple holes inside to mount the CO2 manifold.

Can't wait for my batches to be ready to put in kegs and try the kegerator out, good luck with yours.
MNRon

Hi,

I'm not sure if we're talking the same thing here, but I recently purchased an EdgeStar BR200BL and added a dual tap to it. The tower that comes with the EdgeStar (if you order the full kit) actually mounts by inserting tabs into the kegerator and turning the tower to lock it in place. The tower I ordered had the normal flange with four bolts, so I had to drill the bolt holes into mine.

The tower had a rubber gasket, which I used as a template to line up the tower and locate the holes. I put masking tape on the top of the kegerator to prevent scratching and so I could mark the hole location. Drilling was easy. Once I drilled through the first layer of plastic, I hit foam insulation and then the plastic lining the inside of the kegerator. I assume most kegerators are built the same way.

I needed 1/4" holes for the bolts, so I used a 1/8" first and then followed up with the 1/4". I don't know if that was necessary, but I hate to start out with a large bit. You do need to take a little care to keep the drill bit straight up and down. Once you're through the first layer of plastic, the foam insulation doesn't provide any resistance, so you want to make sure you don't let the drill tilt before you drill through the second layer of plastic. My kegerator actually came with two shelves, so I put one in the highest position and set a box lid inside while I was drilling to catch the plastic and foam that dropped through.

Everything went well on mine, other than the fact that the bolts that came with the tower turned out to be 1/4" too short when I got done. I wanted to stay with stainless steel, so I ended up having to order the ones I needed from the Home Depot website. The shipping was more than the bolts, but I couldn't find stainless steel at any of our hardware stores.

I hope this helps!

beaksnbeer said:
The lines should fit through the current hole. I would wait till you try to fit before drilling

I think I need to drill new screw holes not a bigger hole for the lines. http://www.beveragefactory.com/refrigerators/beer/sbc500bv-2.shtml

Important Note: Please note that the two faucet tower comes with a 3" column. The Summit comes standard with a 2 1/2" column. You will have to redrill the four screw holes on the top of the unit to account for the larger tower diameter.

Back