I have returned...hello from Missouri!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Even though I'm a veteran homebrewer and have lurked and occasionally posted on here for many years, felt it was right for me to reintroduce myself after a lengthy hiatus.

Had our first child about six years ago and my homebrewing hobby survived...for a while. After our second child in 2014 and my wife being diagnosed with cancer, it all just went out the window.

Trying to get back into the hobby I love, but in a more automated/easier way. Interested in investing some more into my equipment to make mashing, sparging, boiling, cooling, transferring, and cleanup easier and less time-consuming.

I have had to streamline brewing due to child and a house remodel. My "brewery" fits in a little shed I built on the patio- 6 X 2 ft. Half of it is dedicated to gardening tools, the other half all my brewing stuff. If it doesn't fit, I don't need it. As for automation, I'm no engineer so I went with wireless plugs to run heat and pump. I run HERMs through a HLT controlled with an Anova sous vide, sitting on a hot plate controlled from my phone if I need to boost heat (I plan on switching this to water heater element soon but same concept). I use cam lock QDs which are worth every penny. March pump on wireless plug as well. I can step mash from 120 to 170 while sitting on the couch. I still boil with gas- I like the ease of cleaning immersion chillers and to quick cool I use a paint stirrer on a drill to create a counter flow in situ. It takes me less than 5 minutes to chill 5 gal batch- an electric element would interfere with the paddle. It's easy to do single infusion in 3 hours, but I often do 4 step mashes and hit crazy efficiencies- it's not a big deal because I control mash remotely from my phone while doing other stuff. It's not much to look at but I have very high control and ease of use- sparging self cleans the HERMs and pump. Temp is measured at pump inlet, HERMs tank, and top of mash tun and transmitted wirelessly. It's not cheap but I collected the parts over the course of 10 years until one day it appeared. It's a non engineer beer nerds dream.

IMG_0422.jpg

Interested in investing some more into my equipment to make mashing, sparging, boiling, cooling, transferring, and cleanup easier and less time-consuming.

Word on the streets for the absolute least amount of headache, transferring, lifting and cleanup:
  • brew in a bag
  • ferment in the kettle
  • serve via keg

:mug:

Word on the streets for the absolute least amount of headache, transferring, lifting and cleanup:
  • brew in a bag
  • ferment in the kettle
  • serve via keg

:mug:

Thanks, will definitely look into those options. I've acquired some things since I stopped brewing for cooking that I think might help as I get back in too.

I have an Anova precision cooker that will help get the mash water ready without much input.

Definitely looking at fermenting in keg (maybe kettle), because I already have six corny kegs and a kegerator. Should help with transfer and cleanup.

Back