I have created a priming sugar calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
Yeah, I know... it's not like there aren't several good calculators out there already. Still, I enjoy making stuff, and decided to put one of these on my blog site.

I did add one nifty feature that I haven't seen on any other calculator - the ability to email results to yourself. Granted, that's probably not HUGELY useful, but if you are forgetful and have a smartphone, maybe it will be helpful?

Regardless, here it is - homebrewdad's priming sugar calculator. Please feel free to check it out and let me know what you think. If you have suggestions, corrections, criticism, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

i like it, but non-metric is a bit dark ages for a lot of people. good that it gives you the answer in grams, nice look, good layout and options though!

i like it, but non-metric is a bit dark ages for a lot of people. good that it gives you the answer in grams, nice look, good layout and options though!

Well I don't think I would go as far back as the dark ages for non-metric. Just because I live in the U.S. doesn't mean the measurements aren't standardized. They just aren't all divisible by 10.

Well I don't think I would go as far back as the dark ages for non-metric. Just because I live in the U.S. doesn't mean the measurements aren't standardized. They just aren't all divisible by 10.

Heh, that's exactly what I thought. That being said, I can see the value of offering metric measurements, as well. I can have that revision shortly.

Thanks for the likes and positive feedback.

I have added the ability to accept measurements in metric units - i.e. degrees C for temperature, and liters for volume.

Let me know if there are other suggestions. Perhaps I overlooked a beer style, or missed the parameters on one. Or whatever.

yeah!! awesome. sometimes i have to bottle the little bit that doesn't fit into a keg, and i have to convert that into fractions of a gallon and then get ounces of sugar, not any more! thanks for this
(btw i love to rib non-metric people it's not personal. but come to the light!! cherish the decimal!)

yeah!! awesome. sometimes i have to bottle the little bit that doesn't fit into a keg, and i have to convert that into fractions of a gallon and then get ounces of sugar, not any more! thanks for this
(btw i love to rib non-metric people it's not personal. but come to the light!! cherish the decimal!)

Glad you find it useful.

I have started doing grams when I weigh out my priming sugar, but that's really only because I like playing with my new digital scale (look how precise it is!). Liters are weird, and kilometers are just silly. ;)

Glad you find it useful.

I have started doing grams when I weigh out my priming sugar, but that's really only because I like playing with my new digital scale (look how precise it is!). Liters are weird, and kilometers are just silly. ;)

Grams is to measure something else.

Wondering how you came up for the honey calculation as honey can have different sugar quantities I have read. Also, maybe a function to enter the gravity of wort to get a calculation for priming that way? Anyway- great work

Wondering how you came up for the honey calculation as honey can have different sugar quantities I have read. Also, maybe a function to enter the gravity of wort to get a calculation for priming that way? Anyway- great work

Honey can indeed have different sugar quantities. I came up with the value I'm using by looking at the math that several different calculators and charts were using and grabbing an estimate off of that.

Same thing with the style ranges. If you look at different sources, you'll see different carbonation ranges for many styles. I made some editorial decisions as to what I posted for them, figuring that you can always specify the exact gravity you are trying to achieve.

The wort priming is a good idea, I'll look at that one.

Back