I have a Sailor!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My son finished boot camp today, and I will see his graduation ceremony on Friday at Great Lakes.

His father and I are both Army veterans, so it's weird having a son in the Navy! He's hoping to get to go to Japan after A school, but I know wherever he goes will be wonderful for him.

I haven't seen him without a beard in more than 10 years, so this should be eye opening!

April:
IMG_1611.JPG

How long will you be around Great Lakes? Any chance I could buy you a beer while you're there?

(I'm guessing probably not, I'll be heading out of town this weekend for some family stuff myself, and I'm sure you're looking forward to spending time with your son, but figured I'd ask!)

How long will you be around Great Lakes? Any chance I could buy you a beer while you're there?

(I'm guessing probably not, I'll be heading out of town this weekend for some family stuff myself, and I'm sure you're looking forward to spending time with your son, but figured I'd ask!)

I'll be around for a while, certainly until Saturday, and then I'll be in Chicago visiting a friend (and likely my son as well back at Great Lakes) until at least Monday.

In other words, you can't avoid me. I'll be in Waukegan Thursday night through Saturday at least. Then in Chicago until at least Monday. We're going down to Tinley Park Sunday afternoon, but otherwise I'm pretty open.

His schedule is weird, because he was supposed to fly out to Pensacola on Saturday, but hundreds of them got delayed by a paperwork issue so he may be around for a few days after that. So I really don't know what I'm doing from day to day, except going to Chicago for Saturday and Sunday evenings.

So, Dan, you may not get out of it that easily!

Is he a nuke?
Both my boys were in the Navy.
Congratulations.

No- no nukes. He doesn't want to be on a sub, but who knows where he'll end up after Pensacola?

I'll be around for a while, certainly until Saturday, and then I'll be in Chicago visiting a friend (and likely my son as well back at Great Lakes) until at least Monday.

In other words, you can't avoid me. I'll be in Waukegan Thursday night through Saturday at least. Then in Chicago until at least Monday. We're going down to Tinley Park Sunday afternoon, but otherwise I'm pretty open.

His schedule is weird, because he was supposed to fly out to Pensacola on Saturday, but hundreds of them got delayed by a paperwork issue so he may be around for a few days after that. So I really don't know what I'm doing from day to day, except going to Chicago for Saturday and Sunday evenings.

Well, I leave Friday morning and should get back Sunday early evening. Thursday evening would typically be a homebrew club night for me, but I could be convinced to skip it. Or, you could join us for some homebrews in Libertyville if you're bored that evening. Otherwise, I'd be open Sunday or Monday evenings.

Congratulations to you and your son, Yooper. Hope A school goes great, and everything after.

Have a great graduation, too. Better than mine, I hope - crack rifle squad leader. We were doing pretty complicated stuff (Queen Anne Salute with bayonets, etc.). Day before graduation, first thing in the morning, on "chain," IIRC, teaching newbies...this crack rifle leader cracked his skull with the front sight, on the simplest of skills.:smh:Looked awesome for mom and dad next day.

Your son is headed to Pensacola? I presume aviation, what's he going to be doing? Lot of history there, great station, congrats again. My dad was an instructor out of there in WWII. Congratulations again, and thank you to your son, yourself and his dad as well.

Congrats to your family Yoops! Sounds by his next duty station your son is headed towards aviation! Naval Aviator or aircraft maintenance he’ll be part of a a great team. The Navy will school him well,work him hard. Hopefully it will be something he embraces.

It’s a hard long road if he’s in it for the long haul; both on you and his dad, his family and him. But I believe worth the sacrifices.

Cheers to a new journey in your family’s life!

Dan Dawson
SCPO, USN (Ret)

Congratulation on his graduation. I spent a year at Great Lakes and 4 years in the Navy. Good luck to him in his Navy career. As a Navy veteran I look back on those years as a great adventure and some of the most fun times of my life. I have made lifelong friends while in the Navy. While at sea it can seem like all you ever do is work but the places he will see and adventures he will have will give him memories to last a lifetime. Good luck and GO NAVY!

I totally agree! I want to wear my Army veteran hat when I pick him up (but I probably won't). :)

Do they have a parade deck in Great Lakes? You should get to seem him Pass in Review and it should be very cool. You'll be proud as a peacock. (pea hen?)

I love the navy. I tried to talk my oldest into joining, but he went a different direction.

Oh, by the way, I like messing with him.

I wrote him often while he was in boot camp, and on the back of the envelope I wrote, "Go NAVY!" and in small print underneath I wrote "If you can't get in the Army. Love, your Army vet Mom"

I'm sure the chief saw that at mail ca
Do they have a parade deck in Great Lakes? You should get to seem him Pass in Review and it should be very cool. You'll be proud as a peacock. (pea hen?)

I love the navy. I tried to talk my oldest into joining, but he went a different direction.

Yep, PIR is at 9 AM on Friday, and he will pass by me twice before standing in front of the stands. I'm looking forward to it. They'll have on their dress whites, and I know that my grandsons (his nephews) will be very bored since it's endlessly long. My daughter is looking forward to it as well.

Congrats, Yooper, you are certainly a proud mom and retiree! My dad and grand dad were Navy men. They did make memories to last a lifetime, as Passedpawn said.

No- no nukes. He doesn't want to be on a sub, but who knows where he'll end up after Pensacola?
I think he will like Pensacola, I do anyway. We live an hour and 15 minutes away and my oldest daughter lives there so we visit often.

If he is free on Friday September 7th and likes beer (how could he not?) the Emerald Coast Beer Festival https://emeraldcoastbeerfest.com is that evening in Seville Quarter. I think there are several dozen brewers this year and about ten homebrew clubs serving, including mine, the Random Acts of Brewing.

Congrats, Yooper, you are certainly a proud mom and retiree! My dad and grand dad were Navy men. They did make memories to last a lifetime, as Passedpawn said.

I didn't retire from the Army- just did my tour and got out, as did my (then) husband. We met in Germany, both enlisted, and got out to have a family. We and I divorced 16 years later, but we live in the same town still and love the grandkids. He's not going to make the PIR ceremony- his wife is dying of ovarian cancer- and I know that is hard for both him and my son.

I think he will like Pensacola, I do anyway. We live an hour and 15 minutes away and my oldest daughter lives there so we visit often.

If he is free on Friday September 7th and likes beer (how could he not?) the Emerald Coast Beer Festival https://emeraldcoastbeerfest.com is that evening in Seville Quarter. I think there are several dozen brewers this year and about ten homebrew clubs serving, including mine, the Random Acts of Brewing.

My son is not a huge beer fan- unless I'm buying or serving it! He was here in the UP for his birthday back in April (he lived in Georgia for several years), and since I was buying dinner and beers, he happily drank beer then. I think I'll see him more now that he's in the Navy than I did when he lived in Georgia because he never planned in advance. Now, he'll have to if he wants to go anywhere or have me visit.

Congrats. I hope he gets to go to Japan. I have a friend who grew up near Newport, RI, joined the Navy to see the world. Guess what? He was stationed in Newport, RI for his 4 years........

Congrats. My daughter joined 2 1/2 years ago as IT. Pensacola isn’t to bad, if i remember correctly there is 2 different schools there. And he will be missing out on hurricane season.

And have to say times have changed dramatically. I was AF from 94-2002. Daughter is already scheduled to take her E-5 Test 2 1/2 Year’s in.

Congratulations! You look so happy, what a cool, proud moment. Thanks for sharing with us. Handsome young man, i am grateful for your families service to our nation and the world. I love pensacola and that area, its so pretty and the beaches are awesome.

Congrats.

I was Navy (CTI) and in a month I see my son graduate Army Basic at Ft. Lost in the Woods.

Back