I have a ******* question about a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout

Reaction score
I have a keg of commercial beer left over from several months ago. It is tapped with the party type pump your own kind of tapper. Considering that it is several months old and has outside air in it, is the beer safe or should it all be dumped?

Only way to know is to try. I've read numerous post about old kegs of Budweiser that soured from air exposure, and many thought it was fantastic. BUT, you have to like sours to appreciate it.

Must have been one heck of a party if you are just getting back to the keg now.

Not really. I invited 30+ people and about a dozen showed up. The tap was leaking so we had to lock it down, pour one, and then unlock it again.

Pictures uploading to photo bucket, stay tuned.

I can relate. 9 years ago, I threw a party right around this time of year. Had a keg and killed it pretty late. My brother discovered that I had a keg on the back deck and thought it was "the backup". He hooked it up and people started drinking it. Really it was a quarter full and wastefully left there sometime in the fall. A lot of people drank it before I found out what happened. Nothing bad came of it but it definitely tasted oxidized. I guess people were too drunk to notice, lol. Not that PBR tastes exceptionally good.

I can relate. 9 years ago, I threw a party right around this time of year. Had a keg and killed it pretty late. My brother discovered that I had a keg on the back deck and thought it was "the backup". He hooked it up and people started drinking it. Really it was a quarter full and wastefully left there sometime in the fall. A lot of people drank it before I found out what happened. Nothing bad came of it but it definitely tasted oxidized. I guess people were too drunk to notice, lol. Not that PBR tastes exceptionally good.

Sounds like a great brulosophy experiment.

can super drunk people tell a difference between great beer and heavily oxidized beer?

can super drunk people tell a difference between great beer and heavily oxidized beer?

I like it. But does that mean we have to intentionally make oxidized beer? That sounds like a beer sin!

A friend of mine had a party and rather than spending the money on a small co2 tank, he hooked the keg up to his air compressor. That was nasty beer, but people drank it.

Latest posts

Back