I have a hop plant coming....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
God morning, all -

I have a hop plant (not a rhizome) arriving soon. The variety is a southern Russian hop called Serebrianka, which you can read about here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=286906

I live in north-central Montana; hot summers, cold winters, perhaps 13 to 15 inches of precipitation each year. I have a couple of basic questions about what to do with this hop, when it arrives.

a) Should I plant it in direct sunlight, indirect sunlight, shade? North side away from the sun, or south side directly in it?

b) how deep should it be planted? Should I plant it near something that it can climb up, or would it be better to set up a trellis, post or something else for it to climb? How about near shrubs or bushes?

c) Are hops relatively maintenance-free? Should I be babying it, like a prize rose bush, or just I just let it do its thing, like a dandelion? Will it spread?

d) If by chance I acquire any other hops, should I plant them nearby, or completely away, in order to avoid any cross-breeding?

I think that covers it - I can't become a hop-growing expert, but I do want to give this plant a good chance, and possibly even use these hops in a future brew.

Thanks in advance!

Ron

this is extent of my hop growing knowledge:
plant direct sunlight, needs 6-8h minimum....early AM sun is good too, will dry leave and prevent mildew. South facing is best.

plant 1-4 inches underground. water as needed, fertilize every week until sprouts about 1 foot tall.

You will need a trellis if you want it to climb. They can go 20 feet in a season.

Some you don't have to baby (Cascade), so you do (Liberty)...don't know about what you got. There really are differences. I started with a Cascade and Crystal this season...the crystal never sprouted but the Cascade is as high as my shed roof and starting to flower cones.

Not sure about cross-breeding

I would plant this one in a raised row. Or mounded with just one plant.

It looks like Serebrianka is a good variety for a shorter trellis, so a 8-10 foot trellis should be adequate.

It spreads by rhizome. Cutting around the crown every year or two will control it.

A general rule is at least 5 feet between different varieties; 3 feet between same. Crossbreeding most likely won't happen. There would have to be a male plant nearby.

Do a soil test to give yourself a good starting point on any amendments and fertilization.

This hop arrived when I was on vacation, and my older son planted it at the far end of our garden in good sunlight, next to a chain-link fence so that it could act as a trellis. The company included a "bonus" hop (I forget which, I think one of the Cs), so he planted that, too. He probably planted the two plants a little too close together, but I figure we can try to direct growth away from each other.

Considering when this was planted (late July), I wasn't expecting much for this year, but am hoping for some good growth next year.

Question: we had our first frost a couple of nights ago; should I cut it back close to ground level for next year, or is it fine to leave it alone and let it do its thing, starting fresh next year?

Thanks -

Ron

Back