Growing hops on my deck 12' above ground...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheyneco

Reaction score
We built a pergola on our deck with the intention of growing an ivy or another vine for summer shade that could be cut back to allow sun n the winter. I just realized I could use hops plants to do this, which would be awesome!

My dilemma is that the deck is a good 12ft off the ground, and the pergola is another 8ft high. Would growing from the ground below be the best long term (would they make the ~20ft climb and also spread out horizontally?), or should I use large pots on the deck? Ideally I want them to grow vertically up the pergola and then horizontally across. I'd cut it back every fall to allow sunlight to shine into the house.

Picture of pergola attached.
20180326_115708.jpg

They will get to 20’ in a few years. I’d start them in pots on the deck this year and move them to ground level after the season.

I grow mine in large pots. Works well for me as i have a small back yard and don't want the plants creeping into the neighbouring yard. I would go with the pots on the deck for at least the first year till the plants are established.

Planting them on the ground and letting them climb up is fine. Commercial yards are usually 18' tall or more.

Side note: I don't find hops all that decorative; the cones are not pretty or fragrant. Also the plants themselves can cause skin irritation (I wear gloves and long sleeves when I harvest). For a pergola, I would look at a climbing hydrangea, wisteria, or climbing rose first. Harvesting and cutting back off the pergola is going to be a lot of work. For the record I have six cascade plants that have done very well, but honestly I am not sure it is worth the work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll grow a few in pots this year and see what happens. If they look decent and cover overhead maybe I'll move them down to the bottom next year.

If they look awful or don't provide shade I'll try a better suited vine and move these over by my veggie garden.

Grow hops in pots will limit their growth even in first year. Go for it in the ground as planned, see how the first year can fully do, then you can project coming seasons. Worst case, you cut them off by November, and you have clean open space again.

Back