I have a competition ready beer here.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EineProsit

Reaction score
I have brewed a beer that I believe would be a top contender in the upcoming Hickory Pro-am competition.
The beer fits perfectly into the BJCP 19a "Old Ale" guidelines except beersmith calculates 80 ibu. The 19a style can be no more than 60 IBU.
Other than "specialty" What alternate category should I consider?
Here's the recipe in beersmith format.

View attachment Bastards Daddy.bsmx

If the IBU number is the only thing stopping you from entering in 19a then just enter it in 19a. Unless you think the beer has too much hop character in the actual flavor profile for 19a, no judge is going to pick up the difference. If your hop utilization was low for any reason from what BeerSmith calculated then you're closer to 60IBU anyway. I suggest filling out as little information on the registration form as possible. Noting the IBU is optional. If you put 80IBU on the sheet then the judges might deduct points but if you don't list it then the score is entirely on the judges interpretation of what the beer tastes like. I'm a BJCP judge. Dumb stuff like this is exactly why I don't enter competitions. If you like the beer and think it's that great then share it with some friends and drink up. I've seen way too many brewers think a beer is great before a competition and then think it's terrible after they get a 35 in competition. Seems so ridiculous to me. Stay away from category 23 unless you have a Black IPA... ::end of rant::

Back