I have $800 and I am a noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies guys. For those who think I haven't googled this stuff, I have. I've been doing quite a bit of research. I wanted some second opinions to compare to my list.

One of my biggest problems is I don't have a good "LHBS." There's really just nothing around here, so I'm doing this almost entirely online.

Second, my friends are pretty hard core about food. They all make a decent living and are very passionate about anything food/drink. We're going to start roasting coffee soon. We know all of the best restaurants in this area, and we debate about the various nuances of flavors.

The reasons that I mentioned I wanted GOOD beer was for this reason. We're not doing this for kicks and giggles. We want good equipment that will make us good beer. I understand that most of this is technique, but I also don't want to short change us on equipment for what we want to do.

Sounds like I'll be going with my original plan -- two to three Better Bottles, an 8-10 gallon MegaPot, two kegs, two tower faucet taps. We have a deep freezer.

Thanks for all the help. Keep the suggestions coming.

two to three Better Bottles

Glass is considered better by some because It dosen't scratch like plastic and is less prone to infections / lasts longer with good care

, an 8-10 gallon MegaPot,

at the minimum 10 gal

two kegs,

doh (dont forget all the hoses and crap)

two tower faucet taps.

nice but not necessary

We have a deep freezer.

probably will work for either the kegorator or other uses, you may need another one depending on your fermentation setup.

IMO it is kinda hard to tell this guy what to get without knowing more info....Do you want to do extract or all grain....are you brewing stove top or on burners.....do you have some place that has constant temps or will you need temp control....bottling or kegging etc etc etc........ The two constants I think however is to decide how big of a pot you want, then buy a bigger one and temp control.

Carne had some good suggestions. My biggest piece of advice is that you have no idea what you want need, until your parameters are set.

1. What are you goals with brewing? (Sounds like you are a make awesome beer kind of guy as opposed to MAKE BOOZE kind of guy)
2. How much time do you have for brewing? (All grain takes about 5-6 hours realistically, extract can be done about 2- hours quicker)
3. What is your family situation and how will your brewing practices affect them?
4. What volume do you want to brew?
5. Do you need/want to brew inside? Or are you fine with brewing outside?
6. What level of construction and design are you willing to undertake?
7. How serious do you project you will be about this hobby in future years?

That is a pretty good list.

While a ton of people will tell you this is a super affordable hobby and saves money and you only need a bucket and a kitchen stove with a stock pot (hyperbole), I am strongly in the other camp. While skill is involved in brewing, the equipment you use greatly affects your ability to consistently perform the skills you intend to exhibit. Further, good equipment makes brew day more enjoyable.

Your budget of $800 is a great idea. This will allow you to purchase components and tools you can use from day one and will still be useful to you many years down the line.

When I started brewing I didn't have an idea of where the hobby would take me, knew no one who brewed, and had no idea what I was doing. I turned over my whole brewery 4 times before I arrived at my first real system. That turn over incurs a huge amount of wasted time, energy, and money.

My main point is identify what your goals and wants are, then use your capitol to purchase a brewery that you can grow with and will make your happy.

Here are more concrete tips:
1. Determine your desired batch size and purchase a kettle with 25% headroom. You can go smaller, but you will have to use some form of foam control.
2. Determine how you will bring this volume to a boil. Propane, electric, etc.
3. Determine how you want to get your sugars. Extract, grains?
4. Plan a system for getting those sugars into the wort (mash tun if you want to go all grain right away). I might suggest doing extract first for a time then investing in a mash tun later, just buy a grain bag for extract batches)
5. Choose a fermenter type. I have used everything and so far every one has pluses and minuses. I have recently gone back to buckets.
6. Figure a way to control fermentation temperatures. This is a big one. I suggest a mini fridge fitted with a TSS2-2100 Love controller and a ceramic heater fan (check around there are a bunch of threads).
7. Decide how big a priority kegging is to you. Personally, I just sold all my corny kegging stuff because I have become to frustrated with dealing with those silly kegs. If you must keg to start, I would recommend kegging in commercial sanke kegs.
Then, make sure you have all the little stuff in between.

Here is a blog I wrote a few years ago discussing this topic and my feelings about it. I do not have temp control on there, but really it should be. I would set aside $200 for temeprature control and try to leave yourself $100 left over to spend after your second brew day. By then, you will know better what things you really want.

Boerderij Kabouter's Start Kit Suggestions - Home Brew Forums

Take all the posts and decide what in each fits your needs.
I started off with extracts on the stove and made great beer.
I have added equipment over the last 6 months and now do all grain.
I have spent about $1300 including all the ingredients.
I still use a swamp cooler. The temp controlled freezer is coming up soon.
I feel my beer is as good as commercial craft brews.

My advise on equipment is to look to the future and try to buy things you will not outgrow. For example I went the turkey fryer route. I plan to do 5 gallon brews more often, for variety, so I do not need anything big enough for 10 gallon batches. I will be converting the 30qt fryer pot to a HLT and getting a slightly bigger boil pot. The fryer pot is just big enough, but I always get a little boil over right at the beginning. A PITA!

I have to agree with the other posts here; fermentation temperature control is the biggest factor for brewing good beer. Why waste all the money on equipment and ingredients to set the fermentor in the house and HOPE you have a good beer. Control the fermentation and you will be much happier with your finished beer.

Patrol Craigslist and this site. You might be able to find a lot of the items used a lot cheaper (like a small freezer to convert).

To date, I have about $400 invested after 8 5 gallon batches. My kettle and burner were donated by my GF's dad (had been sitting in the garage for 15 years unused), the kit was a gift. I made the immersion chiller myself and our basement is cool enough that I can ferment good ales without much temp control.

Are you guys good friends with none of you planning to move in the next year or two during which one of you is going to want "their" stuff or money back? Plan on for when you guys "break up."

Are you the only one that brewed? You may want to get you and your friends to a meeting of your local brew club (Central Florida Home Brewers) meeting/brewing so they can see what brewing will entail. You can probably get a better idea about what you will need.

I would lean towards a converted keg (AKA keggle) so you can do larger batches since there will be for three of you.

As a recent mover to Florida you will need to seriously consider temperature control, above and beyond what others have mentioned. Even now I have my ales in a fridge in my garage. So while many brew and ferment with a cool location or cool season to assist with keeping things cool, Florida will for the most part required a full time refrogeration assisted fermention location (or a lot of hands on time with bottles of ice).

Use craigslist and have some patience (especially around Christmas). There was a nice starter setup for around $100 in Tampa last week. You never know when you are going to stumble across some guy and his buddies trying to sell off the homebrew stuff they decided they didn't want after all ;). Here are a few I just pulled.

Beer Making Equipment
Beer making kit
sanke keg, kettle homebrew

I am around two hours from you. Give me a PM if you have any questions or need assistance.

Back