I have 3lbs Munson DME, what can I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpaustin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up 3lbs Munson wheat DME, and have about 4 lbs of grain, and a packet of hefe-weizen yeast, and some hops. So what can I make? I'm guessing about a 3 gal batch.

How about:
2lb wheat grain
3lb DME, wheat
1/2 oz bittering hops (pellets, can't remember the name)
1/2 oz hallertau hops
Lallemand Munich dry yeast packet, maybe not all of it
bits of orange peel and other spices

That would be good for 3 gallon batch?

At 3 gallon that's going to be an OG around 1.062 depending on your efficiency with the small mash. For this style I'd make it a 4 gallon batch if you've got room in the fermenter.

Edit: also what are the AA's of your bittering hops?

Ok, I picked up some Quaker Oats at the store, so here's what I'll try for today:

4 Gallon recipe
--------------
2lb 2-row grain -- 30 min at 160
1/2lb oats -- 30 min at 160
3lb Munson wheat DME -- 1 hour boil
1/2 oz bittering hops (Tettnang US 5.4%) -- added during boil
1/2 oz flavor hops (Hallertau) -- added 5 min before end of boil
Lallemand Munich wheat beer yeast -- pitched at 65 degrees

I'll probably also add a pinch or two of orange, and a pinch of caraway seeds, like for a Wit beer, but very weak spices.

It came out very cloudy, almost milky. OG was 1.050 at 3 gal; added 1 gal to make 4 gal, OG was 1.038-1.040. I don't have a scale, so can't really give actual details, my guess is I had a lot of oats.

Pitched at 70 last night, and today it is bubbling along, with a fine krausen. I'm gonna have something that most people would call beer :)

Back