i hate notty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyz

Reaction score
this yeast has cost me more batches then i can remember, goto hell notty im done with you, evil *****.

:mad:

What exactly transpired? Did Nottingham yeast blow up your fermenter? Did it break into your house and hold your children hostage? What's so bad about it?

Yeah, also curious.

I'm seeing my slurry of Notty (generations unknown) lose its flocculation abilities but other than that it's old faithful.

Hmm... Notty has been a champ for me. Attenuaion is crazy and it takes off like a rocket when you rehydrate and aerate the wort suffciently.

No problems here either and I have used it in plenty liquid with sugars to feed on... always seems to produce alcohol. :D

So, I'm also interested in what the problem is...

Notty also ferments clean if you keep the beer cool for the first few days. It works like a champ and never fails to take off.

I don't think I know of another common brewing yeast that is so polarizing and I really think it's because of how quickly Notty goes from a fairly clean, malt accentuating yeast to an ester bomb as you go from 55 to 70 (which is the manufacturer listed range). I can't stand it above about 63 but I absolutely love it at about 58.

If you ferment it low it runs through sugars, flocs like a rock, and can really make a malt bill shine. Ferment it warmer and it tosses esters that seem to wreck brews left and right. If someone was to ask me if they should try Notty I'd probably ask the following two questions:

* Do you have the ability to ferment at or below 60 F?
* If no, do you love or appreciate crazy amounts of esters?

If they answered no to both those questions, I think they'd be better just taking a pass on Notty for the time being.

844812-fail_thread.jpg

Can't wait until this guy sobers up so we can find out what really happened.

No problems with Nottingham here although I accidently let it hit 68 last night before bringing it back down to 66. I was under the impression it was pretty clean up to 68 though :confused:

I've never had an issue with it throwing esters, I usually start it off around 62° and raise the temp up to around 67° at the end of fermentation to help it along a little.

So... I guess I haven't experienced much for esters with Notty yet.

I've never had an issue with it throwing esters, I usually start it off around 62° and raise the temp up to around 67° at the end of fermentation to help it along a little.

thats exactly what I do but if you don't ferment cold it does add a flavor to your beer. I always start at 60 and move it up after 4 days

I think it depends whether or not you find a specific yeasts ester profile pleasing or not. I'll agree it's a feature, not a bug. Notty, for me, is normally done by day 3 for most nominal OGs. I think your schedule sounds fine.

I think it depends whether or not you find a specific yeasts ester profile pleasing or not. I'll agree it's a feature, not a bug. Notty, for me, is normally done by day 3 for most nominal OGs. I think your schedule sounds fine.

I agree... it's always hit FG super-quick, so I am usually in the lower range for the duration of the initial ferment.

I haven't had a bad batch that I recall, but I did learn that you get plenty of esters at around 70. I've also since learned to keep my temps down unless I want those esters in my beers, and normally I do not.

Notty has a history of having bad batches of yeast. I'm sure that is what OP is referring to.

That was several years ago. Any packs of yeast from those batches have expired long ago, so if he used one of them, it's not notty's fault.

Nottingham does have a rather foul ester profile when it ferments warm. It is for this reason that I don't use it as a primary yeast anymore myself. Things happen. The electric goes out, fuses blow, just random stuff that can mess up what would otherwise have been a really good brew.

I have discovered, through creative uses for my left-over stock, that Nottingham makes a fantastic bottle conditioning yeast. It really cuts down the conditioning time on high gravity ales when I add some to the bottling bucket.

I have been expanding my use of Notty lately and it is great for a chocolate porter. The only time I had a problem was when we had a heat wave and my closet was about 74F. It went too fast and had a banana off-flavor. At the recommended temps, it is great. I save it regularily without any drama.

Back