I got some freebies recently and need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMacD

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was recently in my local brew shop and the owner had some older stock that he gave me for free!! Here was what I got.

- 8 packs of Wyeast. 6 of those are dated around late May/ early June (4 months) and 2 were Sept 2012 (1 year old)

- 2 Brewhouse kits (Pale Ale and Light Canadian Lager) both were produced in Sept 2011 (2 years old)

I am not sure exactly what I want to do with this stuff.

(1) I was wondering if those kits would be good to use for starters to increase the cell counts for the wyeast? If so, would it be possible to make the 23L batch (without pitching the yeast) and perhaps make a few 1L, 2L and 4L starters but keep them in the fridge/freezer for a few weeks (possibly months) until I am ready to use?

(2) Would the age of the kit (assuming there is no infection) harm the yeast?

Is there any other use for these that someone might have a suggestion for?

Well,one time I got a can of Cooper's OS Lager that was 2 years old. Didn't notice that till I got home. I made a small starter for the 7g Cooper's ale yeast packet. Added some hops & a 3lb bag of Munton's plain light DME to it,& got this beer;
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/summerpale22_zps5ca345e4.jpg.html] [/URL]
It came out color & flavor-wise like a sessionable Salvator Doppelbock. I sent 2 bottles to Gary at Home BREWER TV,& got the full 3 thumbs up against a commercial ale. So never say never!** Come to think of it,that one was my 2nd brew ever!

Here is what I think I'll do.

I've already smacked the 2 yeast packs from Sept 2012 (both are "2035 American Lager") gonna see if they puff up at all over the next couple of days. I plan of making a 1L starter with DME, then stepping up to a 3-4L starter after that if they are still viable.

I'm going to make the "Light Canadian Lager" without adding any water (so 15L of higher gravity wort). Then I'm going to rack 1/2 of that into a carboy add 4L of water so that I'll make the kit as per instructions and pitch a spare pack of coopers yeast that I have.

The other half I am going to boil to kill off any bacteria, then I will put them into 1L freezer bags to use for starters. By the time I am ready to use them, I should know if the kit is still any good (the half I plan to ferment should be finished by then).

I figure if that wort is still ok. I could use the 1L frozen bags by boiling again with some water added to make a 1.75L starter wort with a gravity of approx 1.030ish.

Does anyone see any major flaws in this plan or have any other ideas?

Thanks
Brad

Latest posts

Back