I got shut down - no more outdoor brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figure out how to run your propane burner off of extremely tiny propane tanks.
:cross:

I'm imagining something like this

P1010015.JPG

Is there a 4th Wall in forums?

I got fined once for a barbegue grill on my back deck of a condo in the suburbs of Atlanta. 600 bucks. I hated the fact that HOA could tell me what I could do in my own home.
+1 for buy a house with no HOA

I understand these kinds of rules when the houses are attached such as in condos and townhouses. I wouldn't want some idiot burning MY house down.

Have you started converting to Electric yet or anything?

You can't assume that this was the actual cause of the complaint. You don't know what they are thinking. :confused:

Yeah, that's why I ended that post with "OTOH, whoever reported it could just dislike your "uglification" of the neighborhood by brewing, so there still might be an issue."

And what had you pinpoint meth as the drug? :rolleyes:

It's Madison, WI. There've been a ton of publicized busts for meth production recently there. It's what a busybody neighbor who can't tell a wort boil from a chem lab is most likely to assume.

Crazy guy causing problems? Have you, he or others heard of Baker Act? He started **** with me, he'd get Baker Acted until he learned to mind his own business.

The Baker Act is a Florida state law and the OP is in Wisconsin, so that's not really relevant (independent of whether it's a reasonable idea in the first place).

Wow.
I am the president of my HOA. I got on the board years ago and fired all the other condo nazis. Really don't care what you do in association as long as you follow the few simple rules about parking, trash, and noise. Show some respect to those you share walls with. Park where you are supposed to, don't throw the trash from your car into the street and nobody wants to hear you noise. Simple.
Problem we are having lately is quite a few of the owners moving out and renting their condos to friggin hillbillies. Since it is not an apartment complex the hillbillies think they can turn their place into Billygoat Acres. Usually one note with the threat of hitting their landlord in the pocketbook fixes the problem. Also, I will call the cops on you if I SEE you or your guests smoking weed or hitting a pipe on my property.
You want to brew beer, go head on!
AP

Wow.
I am the president of my HOA. I got on the board years ago and fired all the other condo nazis. Really don't care what you do in association as long as you follow the few simple rules about parking, trash, and noise. Show some respect to those you share walls with. Park where you are supposed to, don't throw the trash from your car into the street and nobody wants to hear you noise. Simple.
Problem we are having lately is quite a few of the owners moving out and renting their condos to friggin hillbillies. Since it is not an apartment complex the hillbillies think they can turn their place into Billygoat Acres. Usually one note with the threat of hitting their landlord in the pocketbook fixes the problem. Also, I will call the cops on you if I SEE you or your guests smoking weed or hitting a pipe on my property.
AP

So now you are they sole condo nazi?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :cross:

Wow.
AP

so you own the whole complex?

So now you are they sole condo nazi?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :cross:

He is un pendejo, what would you expect? :D
BWAAAHAAAHAAA!!! Sorry, but I couldn't resist the comment. Very interesting username by the way. (APendejo) I take it you DO speak Spanish, right?

There seems to be a lot of heat directed at HOA's. I want to clearify that this is NOT an HOA code, it's a city fire code. I would be violating city law if I brewed within 10 ft of the home. The HOA was just following up on a call from a guy who thinks he's the neighborhood police. And being as he can see my garage from his window, I probably cannot get away with brewing without him noticing. And he will call the cops, he's done cr@p like that before.
I've resigned myself to doing 3 gal batches indoors. I'll survive for a few years until we move.

I have a condo association meeting this weekend. Shouldn't be too bad from the agenda. About 4-5 years ago when the place was just built and we had all new owners I went to every meeting expecting to get into an argument or witness one. I had to make sure I was alert (be aggressive myself) or chance being walked on.

Problem is we are so small and everyone had their own vision of how the place should be run. We have some crazy rules dude like no ball throwing on the premises (we had a field at the time, now a pool) and I believe no gum chewing in the hallways. Whatever, so long as they don't harass my summer rentals too much. Things have really calmed down and people have accepted it can't be all their way.

The By-laws were co-written by some of the original owners. One law is no boats in the driveways. We are located 1 mile from the ocean and 1/2 mile from the bay on an island! I can't even put a rowboat there. Once those things get into the by-laws it takes a revolution to get them removed.

this is from your gallery is it 10 feet away from the building? If so I would do it there and let them say something the HOA or the city

brewday.jpg

Far from being the condo nazi, and yes I do own a share of the common as do all the other owners in the complex. I have a management company that enforces the rules, rules that were made when the place was built in '83. Like I said, I got on the board to basically clean the place up, build the reserve fund and make it an enjoyable place to live. The previous board of directors were a bunch of thieves with so much impropriety going on it was sick. Almost 1/3 of the units were being rented by tweekers. It was like the wild west when I bought my place there 12 years ago. It is now a nice place to live. It's a 30 unit complex and 29 other owners agree with me. All of my board actions are transparent.
If you own your own single family dwelling. Do you allow your neighbors to throw their trash in your driveway. You think its ok for them to take their dog for a walk and let it take a dump on your lawn. How about their teenage kids parking their car next to your bedroom window and bumping hatesta rap all night long while weed smoke rolls in your window. If you like that sort of lifestyle then why not move down to the welfare traps where that stuff is acceptable.
As for getting upset about someone brewing beer on their patio or deck, it's ok where I live because you can have a charcoal or propane BBQ. While turkey fryers are not allowed for obvious reasons of grease fires, you can boil all the wort you want with one.
Some HOA are just plain crazy. My sister lives in a large 500+ HOA I call Paranoid City.
I feel bad for the OP, all I can suggest is to stick with the stovetop until things change.
AP

Far from being the condo nazi, and yes I do own a share of the common as do all the other owners in the complex. I have a management company that enforces the rules, rules that were made when the place was built in '83. Like I said, I got on the board to basically clean the place up, build the reserve fund and make it an enjoyable place to live. The previous board of directors were a bunch of thieves with so much impropriety going on it was sick. Almost 1/3 of the units were being rented by tweekers. It was like the wild west when I bought my place there 12 years ago. It is now a nice place to live. It's a 30 unit complex and 29 other owners agree with me. All of my board actions are transparent.
If you own your own single family dwelling. Do you allow your neighbors to throw their trash in your driveway. You think its ok for them to take their dog for a walk and let it take a dump on your lawn. How about their teenage kids parking their car next to your bedroom window and bumping hatesta rap all night long while weed smoke rolls in your window. If you like that sort of lifestyle then why not move down to the welfare traps where that stuff is acceptable.
As for getting upset about someone brewing beer on their patio or deck, it's ok where I live because you can have a charcoal or propane BBQ. While turkey fryers are not allowed for obvious reasons of grease fires, you can boil all the wort you want with one.
Some HOA are just plain crazy. My sister lives in a large 500+ HOA I call Paranoid City.
I feel bad for the OP, all I can suggest is to stick with the stovetop until things change.
AP

Sometimes the way you state things just invites people to poke fun at it but they know what you meant.

It's funny that we all seem way more bothered by this then the OP. He seems content scaling down to indoor brewing for the time being. *Smacks Gavel* Court Adjourned.

i live in a apartment complex that has a code about the size of propane tanks so i have ot brew with 2 1/2 lb tanks its getting expensive the code is county wide but people in the complex across the street can have normal tamks same county wtf...but i just keep brewing outside small tanks get er done anyway you can

He is un pendejo, what would you expect? :D
BWAAAHAAAHAAA!!! Sorry, but I couldn't resist the comment. Very interesting username by the way. (APendejo) I take it you DO speak Spanish, right?
That is funny! Yea, the user name goes back many years when I had a crew of uh, lets say, uh, hmmmm, ok, I got it, immigrants working for me. My first name is Tony, you can probably figure the rest from there.
So your OL is your drinking problem, you drink she has a problem:p
AP

this is from your gallery is it 10 feet away from the building? If so I would do it there and let them say something the HOA or the city

brewday.jpg

Nope, that whole space (right to left) is 15 ft. The garage is just barely cut out from the right edge of the phot.
As for electric, I'm just not in to spending that kind of dough right now.

The biggest thing that sucks about this is that it's exactly one week after I started offering friends to brew for them if they provided the ingrediants. Now I have to recind my offer, and I already had 20 gal in requests!

I say tell them to **** off.
Funny Mike,
That was my first reaction, too, but I was also thinking, "but thats why I live in Alaska" then I saw your post at the end of the thread, mirroring my sentiments, then saw you were in Anchortown. And I smiled :D
Ah, that Alaskan mindset.....

Probably get hounded for this, but Why can't you brew with your current gear indoors? I used my propane burner indoors for years, and feel it's perfectly safe. Just crack a door for the fumes, and keep a close eye on it.

Funny Mike,
That was my first reaction, too, but I was also thinking, "but thats why I live in Alaska" then I saw your post at the end of the thread, mirroring my sentiments, then saw you were in Anchortown. And I smiled :D
Ah, that Alaskan mindset.....

So true- so true. Although new neighborhoods here are now getting HOAs with 250$ a month dues! They force you into lawn maintenance and snow removal

Screw them- I can save 5K a year doing it myself

Completely non-helpful to the original poster, but this thread just makes me want to say how ****ty I think homeowner associations are. Usually attracts a bunch of power-hungry losers who have nothing better to do than annoy their neighbors about the color of their landscaping stone.

I was going to type that almost exactly, but you already did.

When we bought our house we intentionally avoided areas with mandatory HOA.

Our older neighborhood has a voluntary association, $15 which we use to buy flowers for the median and to sponsor a yearly BBQ. I pay that gladly and help plant the flowers. And I pick up litter in the neighborhood. But I wouldn't want to be contractually obligated to do any of it.

Our older neighborhood has a voluntary association, $15 which we use to buy flowers for the median and to sponsor a yearly BBQ. I pay that gladly and help plant the flowers. And I pick up litter in the neighborhood. But I wouldn't want to be contractually obligated to do any of it.

That's something I could get-behind for sure. It's not exuberantly priced and they're not going nazistic on you. Nothing against community bonding/neighbourlyness and the fact that it's not mandatory is just that much sweeter.

I view HOA's much like I view proprietary software, it may work for some and may even be needed in some cases but I'll prefer to do w/o thanks.

That is funny! Yea, the user name goes back many years when I had a crew of uh, lets say, uh, hmmmm, ok, I got it, immigrants working for me. My first name is Tony, you can probably figure the rest from there.
So your OL is your drinking problem, you drink she has a problem:p
AP

Pretty close. The word "Chingar" is equivalent to our "F" word, which I am sure you are well aware. They just use it even more creatively than we use ours. I love the Spanish language.

lol... first mistake was buying a home that was under the commie rule of a HOA.... IDK how anyone gets roped into that noise. Just thinking about it makes me want to murder small animals.

Driveway/parking lot is a pretty narrow area that would piss a lot of people off if I were to set up there. They got pissy when we had a garage sale that spilled into that area. Our direct neighbors, the ones we share walls with, don't care. They find it pretty cool, and know another homebrewer in MN. I think the association just doesn't like us very much. They've been giving us a hard time over our dog lately because he has separation anxiety and has a bad day once in a while. At least he doesn't run off leash like some other people's dogs. Grr.

So, you have your own garage that has it's own garage door, right? Why don't you just close your garage door? If you're worried about carbon monoxide, open it only about 6" and you'll be fine. They can't complain if they can't see you.

So, you have your own garage that has it's own garage door, right? Why don't you just close your garage door? If you're worried about carbon monoxide, open it only about 6" and you'll be fine. They can't complain if they can't see you.

Do like the automotive places. They have a round hole cut into the bottom of the garage door. They usually have a lid that swings out of the way to keep critters out. Hook up a ventilation hose to that and blower/shop vac to suck out fumes.

Then call it done. The HOA can go FO.

Do like the automotive places. They have a round hole cut into the bottom of the garage door. They usually have a lid that swings out of the way to keep critters out. Hook up a ventilation hose to that and blower/shop vac to suck out fumes.

Then call it done. The HOA can go FO.

+100 I'd do this. Even a small fan will bring in enough fresh air to replace what is being used. Crack a window if you can.

People around here that have pets build a garage vent that goes all the way accross the garage door. it is a wood frame about 12" high and covered with rolled fence wire or hardware cloth. they open the garage door and stand it up under the opening and shut the door. there is no hole cutting no permanate damage the only issue is you have the frame standing in your garage till your ready to use it. The wire mesh makes it a little harder to see into the garage but still lets pleanty of air through. If someone gets right up to the door and lays down on the gound they can look in your garage, but really are they going to do that? Borrow someones yappy little dog to brew with you just to give your neighbors something to talk about. :) Never lived in a condo, but somehow I doubt the open flame is really the issue unless your brewing on an old dry deck with a old dry overhand, they just don't like you being out there doing something they don't know about or don't understand. Right now we are in a sever state of drought and we are still allowed to bar b que and burn fires that are contained in a pit or other "suitable" container. If we have a open fire pit we have to have a 1" or smaller metal screan to contain possible ash flare ups. We haven't had any real percipitation to speak of in months.

I just thought of something. What probably garnered the complain in the first place wasn't your brewing. As you said, she said "oh, just beer". The complaining neighbor probably thought you were cooking turkeys. Having a keg full of boiling hot oil on an open burner in a garage would scare the **** out of me too.

Back