I got preboil OG.. then broke hydrometer need help calculating post boil og

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
As mentioned in the title i was able to get a pre boil gravity ..It was 1044..but my hydrometer fell broke before i and got a chance to take a post boil gravity reading ..Is there any calculators that are accurate?..thank you

5.5 gallons pre boil OG 1034..I made a mistake on my OP..its 1034 not 1044... boil volume was 7.5 gallons

It's no guess for some. I take very good measurements of both pre boil and post boil volumes. Even if he can get close, that would be close enough

If you are going to buy a new hydrometer, and use the tub it comes in as a poor mans flask, you could save enough wort from you fermenter before you pitch so you can take a reading with a hydrometer. If you we're cautious and used a sanitized Tupperware container to seal it in until you could get a new hydrometer, and if you sanitized the new hydrometer and flask, you could probably even add the few ounces back into the primary if you liked.

TD

Preboil Volume x Preboil Gravity = Postboil Volume x Postboil Gravity
assuming no losses from splashing or absorption

I also assume you measured your pre-boil volume at hot temps, so I corrected the volume for thermal expansion (roughly 1 qt):

7.25 x 34 / 5.5 = 45

So a decent estimate is 1.045

I also assume you measured your pre-boil volume at hot temps, so the volume should be corrected for thermal expansion...I assumed 1 quart.

7.25 x 34 / 5.5 = 45

damn i undershot by alot then that sux.. but thank you

I also assume you measured your pre-boil volume at hot temps, so I corrected the volume for thermal expansion (roughly 1 qt):

7.25 x 34 / 5.5 = 45

Beat me to it, but I got the same number.

Wow a 1045 IPA..maybe next time i will just throw some water in a keg and carbonate it much less work..but thanks all

I thought the pre boil gravity was 1044. It's that is the case, your post boil gravity is 1060

Edit: just noticed the error

Back