I got fooled by the airlock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA with OG 1062 and used US-05 yeast. the day after there was no activuty at all. on the second day there was activity but no real krausen forming. At the third day the airlock activity had stopped again.
I started to think that Id needed to add another packet of yeast but waited until day 6 until i checked gravity. WOW! It was down at 1010 and tasted awesome! Ive never had a beer before that only showed activity for about 24 hours before. I made a tripel the same day and it started showing activity after just a couple of hours and its still going after 7+ days...

Now I have really learned first hand not to base fermentation on airlock acitivty!

Now I have really learned first hand not to base fermentation on airlock acitivty!

So true. I see posts all the time by brewers freaking out because their airlock is not bubbling. I have never had a brew not ferment, but many that did not bubble. I just put them in my fermentation chamber and forget about them. Now, I do not even look at them until I am ready to pull a gravity sample.

Airlock activity to me is pointless. I am grateful that I learned by the first brew that I don't need to freak out if I see no activity.

Amen, brother. To anyone using vague kit instructions or older brewing info that implies you can use the visual activity in the airlock as a gauge for fermentation status can be disastrous. It's fun to watch (I sit and stare at the dumb thing all the time), but it belies what's really going on inside. An FG check @ 7-10 days (preferably 2 weeks), and then another check with a consistent number a few days later is the only way to be sure your fermentation is complete. :mug:

Back