I got a brewery for christmas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically what I'm saying is from what I've seen the best most obvious changes in beer making are accomplished by changing water chemistry and temperature control during fermentation.

I'd recommend the edelmetall - I've brewed a batch on that and it has the same heating element as the Blichmann. We had a 10 gallon batch threatening boilover multiple times in a very short time period.

I'd also second your decision on the megapot - the boilermakers look very sexy but functionally they aren't offering enough upside for the price.

Lastly, like others have said, if you envision yourself doing 10 gallon batches then go with the 15 gal pot. When buying high-end gear, the goal is to get something that will last your brewing career. Nothing burns like buying a kick ass pot and replacing it a year later

Just my two cents.

this is my towns water report from 2012. I don't have a clue what any of it means. Is it suitable/should i do anything to it: http://www.montclairnjusa.org/dmdocuments/water-quality-2012.pdf

It depends on what you're trying to achieve. Different areas of the world are known for their styles of beers because of their local water. So what you do to your water will depend on the style of beer you're brewing.

The best solution is for you to understand what and why you're doing something. Water chemistry is a big feat to learn, but you should be able to get a grasp of the basics fairly easily.

Here's a good start:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html

If you have a a particular style of beer you like, learn about it and the region know for that style and their water... Then mimic it.

Hope that helps

If your water tastes good to you prolly not. Keep in mind a lighter beer like a helles or pils requires attention to water and overall good brewing practices to make a good one since there's not a whole lot of room to cover up a mistake. Amber to dark beers are usually are a good starting place until you get where you need to be to brew the lighter beers. Extract brews don't really need anything special for water since it was mashed with their water. Just get the chlorine and the other cloro out (I forget what is called, sorry) of your water

Please don't use water from a garden hose to brew with. If you need to run a hose for water go to Walmart and buy a white RV hose made for drinkable water.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

I got the 15 gallon mega pot with thermo and ball valve and the blichmann burner with leg extensions! Should be here soon and I'll brew up a nice pale ale

I got the 15 gallon mega pot with thermo and ball valve and the blichmann burner with leg extensions! Should be here soon and I'll brew up a nice pale ale

Atta boy... That blichmann burner will make the beer taste better :cross:

Should/can I get a screen filter for the mega pot? Any links to a good one?

Congrats!

I second plastic fermenters. I don't want to accidently drop a glass carboy and not only lose 5 gallons of wort\beer but ruin whatever surface it breaks on. Plus I haven't been able to tell a difference with plastic.

If you don't have one already a fermenting chamber. You'll get great beer if you can control the temps.

I'll also suggest getting the biggest pot you can carry by yourself. I have a 10 gallon pot and it is almost to the top when I'm doing all grain.

I also agree about using buckets instead of carboys for primary. I thought I was cool and started with 3 carboys but I bought a bucket for one of my IPAs and now ferment everything in buckets. I'll save the carboys for my future winemaking hobby.

Make one...there are a hundred forums dedicated to building them.

I also agree about using buckets instead of carboys for primary. I thought I was cool and started with 3 carboys but I bought a bucket for one of my IPAs and now ferment everything in buckets. I'll save the carboys for my future winemaking hobby.

Nothing beats a keg unless maybe it's a conical. But for the cost, kegs are elite. 1/4 kegs are perfect for 5 gallon batches.

Latest posts

Back