I got a brewery for christmas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OctoBrew

Reaction score
So today for christmas i got a card from my mom saying that she'll get me whatever equiptment i want (within reason) for a "basement brewery". i'm currently doing extract batches on my stovetop so this was as much a present for her as it is for me.

my main goal is to do a full boil so i was thinking about the 10 gallon magapot 1.2 or the 10 gallon Blichmann boilmaker. im also considering the edelmetall burner or the blichmann burner. would it be more worth it to go all the way to 15 gallons now? which buner/kettle setup should i go with?

also im getting 1 or 2 6.5 G glass carboys and 3, 5 Gallons Carboys.

What other things should i get?

What size pot depends on the batch size you might end up making. I have 10 gallon pots and will only be doing 5 gallon batches. I prefer to brew more often and more styles.
For burners those are nice. I went cheap and have a turkey fryer burner and a Bayou Classic SP10. They work well for me. Total for both about $95.

As to the carboys. I would suggest more 6.5 gallon and maybe only one 5 gallon one. I rarely do a secondary so my 5 gallon Better Bottle rarely gets used anymore.

I will also take the opportunity (unsolicited and not to offend) that you look into plastic fermenters rather than glass. There is little advantage to glass over plastic and plastic is far safer. Search for carboy accidents and you may decide like I did that glass is not worth the risk.

Always go larger than you think you'll need. I've found 5 gallons doesn't last that long with a few friends over just casually drinking. I really wish I had the ability to do a 15 gallon batch. I've done a 10s but its really more trouble than its worth so I end up sticking to 5 most of the time.

For burners i enjoy my banjo burner. Myself, when I upgrade I'll be switching to electric for the ease of automation and temp control it offers. Plus ill never run out of gas and it'll end up being cheaper to run.

Id have to agree with kh on the carboys. I don't even use the 5s. That way I can brew a few beers at once, leave one open and transfer into it, rinse and repeat for the others

im definitely sticking with 5 gallon batches for the fore-seeable future. i like to do a secondary. and im also considering the fact that ill probably move up to all grain or biab eventually.
im very interested in the biab system.

+1 on the go larger for kettles -- I have a 15 gallon kettle from spike brewing and it works great for both 5 and 10 gallon batches.

I normally brew 10 gallon batches of my house beers and go with 5 gallon batches when trying out a new recipe or making some of my winter beers which seem to last longer.

Also if your brewing in you basement do you have proper ventilation for a gas setup?

my garage is attached to the basement so the burner will be in the garage door opening and all fementation, racking, bottling, and other stuff will be in the basement

im definitely sticking with 5 gallon batches for the fore-seeable future. i like to do a secondary. and im also considering the fact that ill probably move up to all grain or biab eventually.
im very interested in the biab system.

You will need to do some research for going electric unless you build an exhaust hood for the burner in your basement brewery. Safety may be the largest obstacle to building a great set up.

But I do say, Wow!

Awesome. Id check out some of the rigs on the forums here it might give you a better idea of what you really want.
I honestly cant recommend going larger than what you need/want. It'll save you from buying a whole new setup if you ever decide to go larger and gives you the option to do larger batches on a whim.

It is enclosed but there is a door to the garage and then a big door from the garage to the outside. I'll be brewing just barely inside that big door

I'd get something like a 62 quart kettle.
A 52 quart cooler mash tun.
A propane burner of decent quality.
Fermenters of some sort, I like buckets. And then a way to control ferment temperature.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/52-qt-coleman-xtreme-mash-tun-build-194395/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXD94A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Something along those lines. You can find other pots cheaper or pay more for something like a Blichmann pot/burner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe consider plastic carboys and definitely get a 10 gallon pot at least. You may move to all grain in the future and you will want it then. Or do BIAB and get a 15 gal like someone else mentioned.
And if you need an adopted brother, please have your mom pm me!!!:D

^ haha will do. do you need a 15 gallong kettler for BIAB? and im pretty adament on Glass.

I'd get something like a 62 quart kettle.
A 52 quart cooler mash tun.
A propane burner of decent quality.
Fermenters of some sort, I like buckets. And then a way to control ferment temperature.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/52-qt-coleman-xtreme-mash-tun-build-194395/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXD94A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Something along those lines. You can find other pots cheaper or pay more for something like a Blichmann pot/burner.

This.

Last edited by a moderator:
im definitely sticking with 5 gallon batches for the fore-seeable future. i like to do a secondary

Haha.... We'll see where you stand on both of those things in a few months from now.

Here's my take on it. Spend the money once. I did one extract brew and went full all grain after that. I invested in the stuff I could grow into vs "upgrading"

Get gear that you'll be able to use for extract, BIAB and/or All grain.

Get a 15 gallon pot, so you can do 5 and 10 gallon brews.

I got a screaming deal on a blichmann 20 gallon boiler maker and false bottom ($200). I do 10 gallon batches with it, but I'm thinking about going 15 for some beers. I can't do 5 even if I wanted, so I use a different pot.

I also rarely secondary unless it's a fruit beer or the like. So I'd think strongly about getting more 6.5 vs 5 gallon carboys. I now ferment in kegs 1/4 slims.

Enjoy your new gear :mug:

Get a 15 gallon (60 quart) aluminum pot, save the cash for ingredients and/or keg going.

As for using the primary only (i.e., no secondary) for fermentation, let you beer rider for a month, it may be a little longer than you need, but it won't hurt anything and we give the yeast a chance to clean up the flavor profile.

If brewing indoor (inside your basement - even at the doorway is indoors) think about an electric setup. Checkout the electricbiab.com or high gravity's electric BIAB set ups.

i decided im gonna go with the MEGAPOT. now i have to choose 10 or 15 gallon is the 5 gallon worth the 50 dollars?

Like many others have said already go bigger. I vote 15 gallon...... I'm also a strong advocate against glass. I don't understand why so many choose to ignore the fact that glass has caused many ER visits with little to no benefit. To each their own I suppose.

im just wondering if it will be akward to only do 5 gallons of water in a 15 gallon pot... maybe im just being stupid.

The only time it may pose a problem is if there's a thermometer involved and its positioned to high in the pot to read. Otherwise I don't see how it may be awkward. Your overthinking this.

How much i$ within rea$on? Really though, do you have an idea what she will spend? Stay away from glass anything, too much potential for injury.

If you dont use a secondary, how long do you primary it for?

3 weeks then I keg... Ill age in the keg if needed.

The only time it may pose a problem is if there's a thermometer involved and its positioned to high in the pot to read. Otherwise I don't see how it may be awkward. Your overthinking this.

Yup... Thermometor placement is biggest issue with doing anything less than 10 in my 20 gallon. Also my sight guage is worthless at anything under 4 gallons.

I love doing 10 gallons, but still want to do 5. I wish I had the 15 gallon blichmann, but at the price I got, I'm not complaining. Plus 15 gallon capacity will come in handy if/when I get married.

Bottom line, get what you want. Get what will fit your ideals. Most of use speak from experience of knowing you'll kick your self for not having the ability to do 10 gallons if this becomes a life hobby.

New brewer here...get the 15 gallon for sure. I have done 8 brews since July and fermented all in plastic better bottles. The beers taste great and the safety issue is clear for me. Remember those full fermenters are heavy.

Agreed, go with a 15 gallon. I went with an 11 gallon which is perfect for the 6 gallon brew days I have (space constraints). I rarely ever secondary outside of a keg (my sours are a different story) I mainly use my buckets for most beers and haven't used either of my 5 gallon carboys in a year.

You wonder if doing 5 gallons in a 15 gallon pot? Remember, boil off and you'll likely start with around 7.5 gallons as a high estimate. I just got a 60 quart and I plan on doing both 5 and 10 gallon batches. I said I wouldn't do 10 gallons but here I am less than 6 months after I started brewing.

My vote goes to stainless steel....I refuse to cook or brew in anything aluminum, but....that's just me - am a former baker, spoiled by stainless wares in commercial kitchens

There is absolutely nothing wrong with aluminum as long as it's cared for properly.

I said I wouldn't do 10 gallons but here I am less than 6 months after I started brewing.

Yup... Once you find out 5 gallons of that amazing recipe doesn't last long, you start going for 10 gallons. Now I'm on the boarder of 15 for some recipes. It doesn't help when your beer drinking friends and family members think you make the best *insert style here*

I actually have some family that begs me to make more, and they offer to pay for ingredients. Have them pay for 10 gallons of ingredients and split the batch.

So having 10 gallon capacity to do a double batch and split is also nice. I also helps when you're doing collaboration brews with friends. And it's nice to do a double batch to experiment with yeast or dry hopping... Etc... There are a lot of benefits.

I'm new to brewing just finished my first batch, with that said excuse me for this ignorant question. When doing double batches do you have to double the ingredients or just add more water to the wort?

I'm new to brewing just finished my first batch, with that said excuse me for this ignorant question. When doing double batches do you have to double the ingredients or just add more water to the wort?

The simple answer is Yes double all the ingredients. Adding water lowers the gravity.

The more advanced answer for all grain is, it depends... It depends on your efficency. For example I did a double batch of nut brown where the recipe was for 5.5 gallons with 70% efficency. I ended up with (I think about) 13 gallons of beer because I got 82% efficency. I could've kept it at about 11 gallons and had a higher ABV. Instead I added more water to get to the right gravity before fermentation. The result, lower ABV (on target) but more beer than expected.

The same can work in reverse. Lower efficency means more ingredients to hit the target.

Can you use garden hose water for the boil water?

If you like the taste of your water, then use it. If you don't like it, filter it and make adjustments to it. You should get a water report from your city and see if it is out of spec for the style of beer you want to brew.

Can you use garden hose water for the boil water?

I do... I also live in Oregon City (Portland) Oregon where we have really good water. I thought about doing RO, but I don't really have a reason to. I'll crush half or a whole campden tab (one tab treats about 20 gal) to help with chloramine. Boiling takes care of chlorine. Get your water reports and look them over. I was able to talk to the water treatment guy for my area. Funny thing is... He's a homebrewer too.

I do... I also live in Oregon City (Portland) Oregon where we have really good water. I thought about doing RO, but I don't really have a reason to. I'll crush half or a whole campden tab (one tab treats about 20 gal) to help with chloramine. Boiling takes care of chlorine. Get your water reports and look them over. I was able to talk to the water treatment guy for my area. Funny thing is... He's a homebrewer too.

Sorry about quoting you insanity8er I'm referring to the OP...........if your brewing extract straight ro water + mineral addition suited to style should be super eAsy. And it should net better results. Like I said before your overthinking this for the level your at.... start dabbling in all grain and then we will talk!

Back