I don't mind rainbows but WTF!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adworld

Reaction score
so I've done 1 batch on my new SS pot and have a few questions. wtf is the rainbow effect showing on the inside of my boil kettle? also how do I clean the bottom and get these marks off?

thanks in advance
David

image-2516871538.jpg

image-3180786208.jpg

Green Scotch Brite should do the trick, if you need a bit more to remove the marks you could add in some Barkeepers Friend.

I get them all the time, mr.clean magic eraser and some oxy works every time...

thanks I will try the mr clean eraser as I have one handy. will this help wit the rainbow effect on the kettle too?

thanks I will try the mr clean eraser as I have one handy. will this help wit the rainbow effect on the kettle too?

Possibly, I can make mine less noticeable but at certain angles they reappear. Sometimes boiling again makes them go away..I had em like crazy the first boil and went away after the second...I even get them on my blichmann sometimes...

The "rainbow effect", for the curious, is called iridescence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridescence

The rainbow phenomenon itself is iridescent, but the cause is what's commonly known as heat tint. The iridescence is caused by a thickening of the oxide layer (remember that stainless steel is passivated with an oxide layer). In the presence of very high heat (i.e. you may have a hotspot where the rainbow occurs), especially with starch (you'll notice that this can happen to thin-walled cookware when making pasta or rice if you overcook it).

It's also completely harmless. BKF will remove it, but why bother?

Starsan into just enough water to cover it. It's an acid so it will take off that beer stone very quickly. It will wipe off using just a sponge or a paper towel. Use a scrubby if you want to scratch your nice shiny pot.

Starsan into just enough water to cover it. It's an acid so it will take off that beer stone very quickly. It will wipe off using just a sponge or a paper towel. Use a scrubby if you want to scratch your nice shiny pot.

Not beerstone (calcium oxalate), it's heat tint, but star san (or any other acid) would probably work as well as BKF... if there were any reason to worry about it.

Saniclean...stronger than starsan, will work faster, but will get the same results as everything else people have recommended

nbolmer said:
It's also completely harmless. BKF will remove it, but why bother?

same reason I buff out scratches on my truck. I like it shiny :)

but good to know its harmless and is just a cosmetic thing

Agree with the leave it or barkeeper's friend. We use it on all our stainless and it makes it shine up real nice, but who do you have criticizing the inside of your brew pot??

PS - Don't ever use barkeeper's friend on aluminum.. learned that the hard way..

Latest posts

Back