I don't get suck back..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Reading over the forums the last few days and seen the infamous suck back when cold crashing.

I wonder why i don't experience it? I cold crash all the time and i might lose 10-15ml of water in my airlock.

Where does the 15 ml of water from the airlock go? It goes into the beer. If that's all, nothing to worry about. If it's a blow off tube, it can suck back all of the liquid from the blow off tube, and that would be a huge concern.

You're still getting significant air sucked back through the airlock which, in my opinion, is more of a concern than a small amount of starsan getting into your beer.

Some people are concerned about the potential oxidation that can cause and some aren't.

Physics dictates how much air is going to be sucked back in the fermentor as the liquid and CO2 inside the fermentor cools. It is happening in your setup. It could be possible your setup is leaky and air is finding it way through another place and is not coming through the airlock.

What find of airlock are you using?

My 3 piece airlocks sometime stick pretty tight to the center tube blocking the inward airflow when the temp drops, but as soon as I break the seal air rushes into the fermentor making a gurgling sound.

Back