...I did it all wrong...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoWheeler

Reaction score
Chose a recipe that was a bit ambitious for a first all grain - a Belgian Quad.

Bought the grains about a month ago and had them crushed, intending to brew that weekend - it didn't happen until this weekend, so they've been sitting around, crushed, for four or five weeks.

Thought my mash tun would work, but it was actually too small for 14+ lbs of grain and five gallons of water. Wrong....

Found out none of my THREE thermometers agreed with each other, so I'm not sure whether I hit my strike temp, or not.

Not sure if my sparge water was the right temp, because I couldn't find anything that said much beyond "don't go over 170".

Drew off six gallons into my brewpot and still had sparge water left, so I put it in the mash tun.

Drained off whatever would run from the tun, into a second brewpot.

Put the six gallons on to boil.

Had a minor boil-over. (SOP)

Found out my usual method of recirculating ice water through my immersion chiller from/to a cooler didn't work too well with a full wort boil. (New brewpot - first time I've had the capacity to do a full boil). Got down from 220 to 120 fairly quickly, but by then my ice was gone and the water was pretty warm. Tried adding cool tap water to the cooler, but that didn't help much.

Didn't whirlpool because it's a PITA to do with my immersion chiller in.

Got disgusted and filled the bathtub with cool water and set my brewpot in that. Slowly, very slowly the temp came down.

Saw that I was a little short of five gallons, so I added about a half gallon of cool tap water - reasoning that the makeup water would also help cool the wort.

Took a hydrometer reading, and realized I was WAY low - 'spoda be 1.090 and was at 1.060. Looked at the nice "extra" (un-boiled) wort in the second brewpot and said "WTH" and threw it in.

Just dumped the contents of the brewpot into the fermenter, because there were raisins in there that I wanted in the primary - got them, but got all the sludge, too.

After such a long day brewing, getting tired, and still faced with a cleanup, I said "t'hell with it" and pitched my starter at about 95 degrees.

...now, tell me how much it's gonna' SUCK....:D

What was the gravity after you threw in the "extra" wort... I doubt it helped. The pitching at 95 degrees is what I would be worried about though. I'm guessing the yeast really didn't like that, heh.

Really though all that said let it run the course. The hard part is done now. Worse case it ends up being garbage. I've heard far worse stories turn into awesome beer.

My "brewery" is cycling-themed - (Never would have guessed with that screenname, huh?)- so my beers have cycling related names.

This one will be called "Jacky Durand Belgian Quad". Jacky was known for just saying "screw it" and going for it. He often took what others thought were stupid chances that would never succeed - and sometimes they worked.

That pretty much embodies the spirit of this brew! :D

What was the gravity after you threw in the "extra" wort... I doubt it helped.
It didn't help. Plus I now have some grain debris in my fermenter....
The pitching at 95 degrees is what I would be worried about though. I'm guessing the yeast really didn't like that, heh.
Dunno....I'm seeing activity in the airlock, so I must not have managed to kill them all...:D
Really though all that said let it run the course.
Yeah, I "screwed up" a framboise a few years ago that came out pretty damned good.

I also made a ginger beer where the ginger was just way too in your face and I didn't like it, so I forgot about after I bottled it. I "found" it after about five years and it was PDG too. :D

Oh....and because I made a slightly bigger batch in my five gallon fermenter, I now have hops on my bathroom ceiling, and a big mess in my shower...:D

I have pitched at 90-100 before. It made beer.

I have forgotten all hop additions except the initial addition at the beginning of the boil. It made beer.

I have gone to the LHBS after happy hour and purchased ingredients with no clear idea of a recipe, just buying whatever looks good, and then brewed with them. It made beer.

In fact, I did all these things--on one batch, a few weeks ago. That beer is kegged and carbing in my keg fridge. I had some, it's okay, but it's a little heavy on the malt and very, very strong. I think I'm gonna let that one condition for awhile.

(if there is a moral here it is that beer sometimes does not mix well with brewing)

Epilogue: It came out awesome! Best beer I've ever brewed! :D

Even got rave reviews at a party from a guy who normally doesn't like my beers.

Problem is, I'll never be able to duplicate it!

Gotta say it man, thanks for the Sunday Morning Laugh. :eek:

I am willing to bet though, that it'll be beer in the end. And BTW, you could also call it a "Jeff Ward Quad". Ya know, it's a little on the short side, but it came through in the end. ;)

This was a funny read. If it makes you feel better, last Saturday I passed out during my hour mash and I believe it went for 2 hours (which doesnt really bother me) Dont remember when I added my hop additions or even pitching my yeast but my yeast starter bottle was empty and its bubbling away in the garage which I also dont even remember putting my 6.5 glass carboy in the garage either.

Morale of my story dont have so many HB's when brewing. Glad the beer came out great.

Latest posts

Back