I am now a believer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punity

Reaction score
I can now honestly believe in the DWHAHB. Made my first beer a rye ale last month and bottled last week. Bottling went less then stellar lost part of my priming sugar couldn't get my racking cane to stay primed( thank god my auto siphon came today) finally use the not to be named sucking method of getting my beer to the bottling bucket. Aerated the crap out of my beer in the bottling bucket and finally got it.bottled and then went and shot some guns to relieve the stess haha. I was so worried i messed it up somewhere until tonight when i cracked a bottle open i had chilled for a few days. OmG its great a little green and unrefined not quite carbed all the way buy it tastes great and even has a little lacing on the glass. It makes me feel great plus y wife loved it which gives me the green light to kick it into high gear. Thanks guys for the forum help.

ForumRunner_20120709_195411.jpg

Congrats! If you are a believer now, then I bet you'll be a zealot in a few weeks when the beer is done and ready to go! :)

iambeer said:
Congrats! If you are a believer now, then I bet you'll be a zealot in a few weeks when the beer is done and ready to go! :)

Haha quite. Never thought i could make beer.

i was a believer in DWHAHB at first. it took me about 5-6 more batches to finally relax and be a believer in RDWHAHB.

...i'm sure you'll be there one day :rockin:

Haha yea im sure the relaxing part will show up after a few batches

yup lol, my first few brews i was on here "OHH NOOO 1 drop of of water landed in my beer!!!!!!! IM DOOMED"

now i've had dogs/kids ripping my airlocks onto floor.. find it wash it off spray some star san.. yawn... sit back have a beer.. and they turn out to be my better brews!!! although i get better every brew so that might be why to!! but i do not worry anymore forsure!

Haha my wife had some sticky fingers in a restaurant one night

Congrats on not worrying! Now just learn to relax. Goooosfraba.... goooosfraba....

That's awesome... I've got glasses from a few different places thanks to my wife and that same tactic. It's the only time I've ever been happy about her gigantic purses.

Yup, SWMBO does that as well. But not terribly often seeing as she brings home a lot from her restaurant. Most recently it was a Blanche de Chambly :rockin:

I'm also hoping for a DWHAHB on my latest batch that I bottle tonight. I only have about 5 batches of extract under my belt but was moving along nicely tonight getting a hopped up version of an American Pale Ale into my bottling bucket. I must have been in a incredibly spacey mood because I aerated the batch while racking to bucket thinking I'll give it something to work on. When the bucket was full I stood up and walked across the room thinking - where the heck did I put the yeast for a moment. That's when the V-8 moment hit me and I cursed for the next several minutes. Ok - don't sweat it I think, and I continue on.

Now, I bottle and don't have a draining tree yet. Actually, I ordered one 2 days ago to help make this go easier. My process is to using the bottling wand to put 2 or 3 ounces in each bottle before I rack to the bottling bucket, shake them up and then let them sit. When I'm ready to bottle I do another shake, dump them out, dip the neck into star-san and then off we go. I was off and running when on the 8th bottle it hit me - those aren't air bubbles in the neck of each bottle...... I'll just say I had a few more comments for the otherwise empty room that I was standing in. I took a moment, thought to myself - hey, this batch is a little bigger 5 gallons so I'll just keep going and swap out the 8 bottles with what ever I have at the end.

All said and done I had a total of 50 bottles and couldn't bring myself to toss any of them. I marked the 'extra clean' bottles so I would know which ones they were and cleaned up. That's what brought me to this thread, looking for the hope that others had similar challenges. I'm wary but hopeful and plan on waiting a full 4 weeks before I dare open any of them.

Im sure it will turn out. Its my first attempt so it i was extremely worried. You just wait it might be your best batch

Hopsferatu said:
I'm also hoping for a DWHAHB on my latest batch that I bottle tonight. I only have about 5 batches of extract under my belt but was moving along nicely tonight getting a hopped up version of an American Pale Ale into my bottling bucket. I must have been in a incredibly spacey mood because I aerated the batch while racking to bucket thinking I'll give it something to work on. When the bucket was full I stood up and walked across the room thinking - where the heck did I put the yeast for a moment. That's when the V-8 moment hit me and I cursed for the next several minutes. Ok - don't sweat it I think, and I continue on.

Now, I bottle and don't have a draining tree yet. Actually, I ordered one 2 days ago to help make this go easier. My process is to using the bottling wand to put 2 or 3 ounces in each bottle before I rack to the bottling bucket, shake them up and then let them sit. When I'm ready to bottle I do another shake, dump them out, dip the neck into star-san and then off we go. I was off and running when on the 8th bottle it hit me - those aren't air bubbles in the neck of each bottle...... I'll just say I had a few more comments for the otherwise empty room that I was standing in. I took a moment, thought to myself - hey, this batch is a little bigger 5 gallons so I'll just keep going and swap out the 8 bottles with what ever I have at the end.

All said and done I had a total of 50 bottles and couldn't bring myself to toss any of them. I marked the 'extra clean' bottles so I would know which ones they were and cleaned up. That's what brought me to this thread, looking for the hope that others had similar challenges. I'm wary but hopeful and plan on waiting a full 4 weeks before I dare open any of them.

What is DWHAHB

I can now honestly believe in the DWHAHB. Made my first beer a rye ale last month and bottled last week. Bottling went less then stellar lost part of my priming sugar couldn't get my racking cane to stay primed( thank god my auto siphon came today) finally use the not to be named sucking method of getting my beer to the bottling bucket. Aerated the crap out of my beer in the bottling bucket and finally got it.bottled and then went and shot some guns to relieve the stess haha. I was so worried i messed it up somewhere until tonight when i cracked a bottle open i had chilled for a few days. OmG its great a little green and unrefined not quite carbed all the way buy it tastes great and even has a little lacing on the glass. It makes me feel great plus y wife loved it which gives me the green light to kick it into high gear. Thanks guys for the forum help.

Congrats! It feels good. Just one thing though...you shouldn't aerate in the bottling bucket. You just want to swirl the beer gently to mix the sugar in. Adding extra oxygen will hurt the beer post-fermentation starting.

Its from blues brothers

ahh sorry is it the original? im a little young for that movie haha

Congrats! It feels good. Just one thing though...you shouldn't aerate in the bottling bucket. You just want to swirl the beer gently to mix the sugar in. Adding extra oxygen will hurt the beer post-fermentation starting.

First off...Congrats.
Second... Why are you aerating the beer in the bottling bucket? That's a big no-no!

I didnt mean to aerate the beer when transferring but i was so frustrated that i couldnt get the racking cane to stay primed and eventually just let it do what it wanted to do. So in my fit of rage haha i just let it splash in there and bubble away. but thats why i got my auto-siphon :ban:

How did you get the beer to stay on its side?
I can bend time and space, Call me The One.

You are a BAD MAN!

The sucking method???

You need to spend some time on YOUTUBE... everything about everything is there.

I learned to instead ofg using the sucking method.

1. Put your siphon in the bucket/bottle
  2. Lift up the end of the hose and pour water into it, not enough to go into the bucket/bottle
  3. Lower the hose in a side bucket and let the sipon start
  4. When you get to the beer, switch to where ever you want it to go

Failure to follow this method will result in us coming to you home and stealing your beer.

"Happiness is a warm gun Bang-Bang Shoot-Shoot"

Happy Brewing

Oh i tried everything i could.find of my phone. I gave it my best effort but just wasnt happening for whatever reason.

That is my favorite glass shape, I know it is not for all styles but I try almost everything in it except the Belgians (for which I have Westy chalices) and the stoutest of stouts. Most of my ales do well in that tulip shape.

Last Christmas my wife bought me a few different kinds of beer glasses with our surname initial etched in them, all spiffy-like. Now I have almost every shape/style I've wanted, except the thistle-shaped that are for Belgian Scott ales I think, and I'd like to have an old wooden tankard.

Anyhow, seems like we both won the "wife lotto." Good luck with this batch and all future brews!

Cheers-

Congrats on your beer turning out good and on the realization that DWHAHB is the way to go. I'm fully on board with RDWHAHB at this point because I came to the realization that beer is extremely resilient and it's really hard to end up with something undrinkable. The first lesson any new homebrewer needs to learn is that it doesn't matter what you screwed up, you will most likely end up with beer, and it will probably be good. People are always so quick to panic and wonder if they should dump the whole thing when all they need to do is relax and let the yeast do its job.

Back