I am an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is what I get for drinking while brewing. I am doing Edwort's Oktoberfest Ale, and everything was going beautifully. I let it mash for longer than normal (120 min) because I was out running errands, then came back and had a couple beers with a friend. Poured myself another while the sparge water was heating, added it, let the 170 degree mash sit for 10 minutes, then started draining into the pitcher I use for vorlaufing. Unfortunately, I then went into the living room and started watching the U-20 World Cup game between Cameroon and Mexico... and next thing I know, 5 minutes have passed, and my 5-gallon cooler has emptied, with my little 1-gallon pitcher filled to the brim and my kitchen floor covered in wort.
ARRGRHGHGHGH!!!

So.... should I add some pale malt extract I happen to have on hand to make up for the loss (likely about 1.5 gal - it took an entire roll of paper towels to soak up), or just suck it up and do a smaller batch of the Oktoberfest?

If you lost 1.5 gallons total I would probably go with a smaller batch. If you lost 1.5 gallons of the most concentrated first runnings I would bump it up with some DME.

Duuuuude. :( Sorry to hear it, that really sucks.

I haven;t done any all grain batches yet, so I may be of no help. But if you have any LME or DME on hand, maybe you could treat it as a partial mash?

Thanks for the replies... I lost 1.5 gal of the first runnings. I ended up adding a cup of pale malt extract, so basically treating it as a mostly grain partial mash. I'll check the gravity once the boil is done and see how far off I am... <crossing fingers>

I haven't done it with the first runnings, but I can't tell you how many times I've flooded the kitchen filling up buckets of water.

Bierliebhaber said:
I haven't done it with the first runnings, but I can't tell you how many times I've flooded the kitchen filling up buckets of water.

I did it this past weekend while transferring into the carboy. It sucks to watch such a smooth brew day (and all that beer) go down the drain. The extra cleanup is insult on top of injury.

How did this turn out? What was your OG and how did you proceed? Just curious.

After the boil, I ended up with just short of 5 gallons at 1.052 OG. It also tasted a little bit too bitter to me for an Oktoberfest. So, I went ahead and pitched my yeast (I used a starter), and also boiled a half-gallon of water with about 3 cups of pale malt extract. After letting it cool overnight, I added it to the fermenter. It will be beer, but maybe not the Oktoberfest I was shooting for.

Next time, no leaving the kitchen when the valve is open!

After the boil, I ended up with just short of 5 gallons at 1.052 OG. It also tasted a little bit too bitter to me for an Oktoberfest. So, I went ahead and pitched my yeast (I used a starter), and also boiled a half-gallon of water with about 3 cups of pale malt extract. After letting it cool overnight, I added it to the fermenter. It will be beer, but maybe not the Oktoberfest I was shooting for.

Next time, no leaving the kitchen when the valve is open!

Still, that sounds like a good OG to me! :mug: Good luck; I'll bet it tastes great.

Back