I am already a beer snob! how?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries OP. I have been a beer snob from my first taste of good beer. Craft is for enjoying. Bud light, coors, and my slam beer of choice, keystone is for getting utterly smashed. All beer has its purpose, some are just more refined than others.

So I am an ass for not liking what they serve and order something else? You want a bud drink a bud but for me I don't like the taste. Why pay 3 or 4 bucks at a bar for a beer if it isn't what I want?

Ass????????!?!?!?! WTF dude, you are not an ass,......... you are as cool as ME!!!!!!!!!(;))

I fall into the group of folks who won't touch anything BMC. Why give my money to a large corporation when I can support craftsmen? I also don't enjoy the taste and can find a more suitable "refreshing" alternative on a hot day. Heck, if nothing else, I can drink a glass of water then have a beer.

AND this guy.

6 months of home brewing I've graduated too.

Even when I've screwed up, it tastes better than anything I can buy.

I've now gone to two beerfests. I've had over 100 "craft" brews. I have left dissapointed.

The popular beer recipes I've followed here on HBT have allowed me to become a Beer Geek. I will be forever endebted to this site! The stuff you brew yourself will blow doors.

Meh...I love a great double IPA, but last night when I got to the liquor store and realized I left my wallet at home and only had $9 cash on me, a 12 pack of keystone light is what I brought home!

Meh...I love a great double IPA, but last night when I got to the liquor store and realized I left my wallet at home and only had $9 cash on me, a 12 pack of keystone light is what I brought home!

Humph! and you apparently drive a BIKE!!!!!

Lol, keystone..............glad you enjoyed.

Until I turned 22 or 23, I didn't like beer at all. Then, craft beer was just starting to gain traction (mid-90s). A friend of mine let me try a New Amsterdam Amber. Finally, a beer that wasn't just tolerable, but actually good!

That opened up my palate, and now there are only 4 beers that I really can't stand: 1) flat beer; 2)hot beer; 3) skunked beer; and worst of all 4) no beer.

HA HA HA...dude I have found myself in the same boat. My father introduced me to Pilsner Urquell when I was 21 and I never looked back. I have always enjoyed the darker beers and Pilsner Urquell. My friends always drink that carbonated piss water known as Bud Light, Coors, and Natural Light (insert shudder here). I have tried to expand their tastes over the years but they do not want to pay more for better beer. As my daddy taught me "son, drinking alcohol is never good for you, so if you are going to drink...drink the good stuff. Drink what you like, so long as you like what you drink"

I have never been afraid to pour out a beer (yes I know, that is alcohol abuse) if I do not like it. I have meet very few beer that I do not like. I had the pleasure of drinking Heineken when I was in Amsterdam, at the Heineken brewery. That was nector of the gods compared to what was sold here in the US. I bet even Budweiser would taste better at the brewery than what you can buy in the bars and stores.

I still think too many "beer snobs" assume that the masses drink BMC because they don't like the taste of "REAL BEER". Most BMC drinkers I know drink the stuff strictly based on economics. When a 24-case of bud is on sale for $14.99 and a 6 pack of decent beer is $7.99 economics take over in the grand majority of beer drinkers minds. Sure they may indulge in a sixxer of the good stuff once in awhile but they like to drink and can't afford to drink much at craft brew prices.

I really don't drink the BMC's since I started to brew but I have noticed it tastes a heck of a lot better when it's on tap!

Jayhem said:
I still think too many "beer snobs" assume that the masses drink BMC because they don't like the taste of "REAL BEER". Most BMC drinkers I know drink the stuff strictly based on economics. When a 24-case of bud is on sale for $14.99 and a 6 pack of decent beer is $7.99 economics take over in the grand majority of beer drinkers minds. Sure they may indulge in a sixxer of the good stuff once in awhile but they like to drink and can't afford to drink much at craft brew prices.

I disagree. My local beer bar has specials on American microbrews on Saturdays for between $2.50 and $5.50. You can get a pint of craft lager or pilsner for less than a 12oz bottle of BMC. To me, it just comes down to an unwillingness to try new things.

I disagree. My local beer bar has specials on American microbrews on Saturdays for between $2.50 and $5.50. You can get a pint of craft lager or pilsner for less than a 12oz bottle of BMC. To me, it just comes down to an unwillingness to try new things.

I do agree that some people may just be stuck in old habits and have taste buds that are numb to the taste of anything but BMC.

Around here happy hour specials usually have BMC pints for around $1.50. It's hard to pass up spending $5 on 3 pints of beer with your wings instead of $15 for 3 craft pints even for quasi-beer snobs like me.

My fiance laughs at me when i go on a Beer related expletive laden rant about the big 3.

The social club i'm a member of beer list goes something like this: bud, bud light, coors light, miller light, heineken light, amstel light.

Many people are set in their ways and drink what they like, and they like what they've been drinking for the past 40 years.

Me? I don't like the companies, i don't really like their beers, I tend not to buy their products, but i won't turn down a beer when i'm at a party and that's all they have.

I'm a pretty hardcore snob and proud of it. There are just a lot of "craft beer" drinkers that have really bad taste in beer. That's the only reason I can think of why southern tier chokolat flies off the shelves. And too many just drink the hype. I mean this year when everyone was ordering a hopslam, but wouldn't give double trouble or dreadnought a second look there's something wrong. Those people will be mocked. The way I see it bmc drinkers are just ignorant, craft drinkers with bad taste are stupid.

My wife will tell me to just get a 12 pack of something cheap (BMC) because then I'll have 12 beers instead of just 6 for nearly the same price. When the price/quantity argument ever comes up I say this...I would rather spend the same amount on a sixer of good beer (that might have a 8+% abv), than on a 12 pack of crap tasting crapity crap.

That being said, I did post earlier about buying Keystone last night...it happens, I was looking to get hammered, and between the few beers I had in my fridge and that 12 pack of Stones...Mission accomplished! haha

It's funny that so many people bash on BMC. Yeah, they're big. Yeah, they're light American style lagers. Yeah, some people might like them. You know what? That's their prerogative. Why bash someone for drinking something YOU don't like? Being a dick is a great way to turn someone off to something.

There are a ton of great craft brews. There are a ton that suck. There are a ton of styles and that means there's a fit for everyone. I personally can't stand rye beers. Not my thing.

BMC are very good at what they do, and with tons of relatives who work at A-B in stl I can say you are hard pressed to find many who take the pride in their work that they do. Same goes for friends at Schlafly.

Give credit where it's due. BMC had the ability to survive prohibition. They also deliver a consistent product every time. You might not like it, but why look down on someone who does?

Pilotpip said:
It's funny that so many people bash on BMC. Yeah, they're big. Yeah, they're light American style lagers. Yeah, some people might like them. You know what? That's their prerogative. Why bash someone for drinking something YOU don't like? Being a dick is a great way to turn someone off to something.

There are a ton of great craft brews. There are a ton that suck. There are a ton of styles and that means there's a fit for everyone. I personally can't stand rye beers. Not my thing.

BMC are very good at what they do, and with tons of relatives who work at A-B in stl I can say you are hard pressed to find many who take the pride in their work that they do. Same goes for friends at Schlafly.

Give credit where it's due. BMC had the ability to survive prohibition. They also deliver a consistent product every time. You might not like it, but why look down on someone who does?

My problem with BMC is their control of the market and distribution circles. They constantly sh*t on the little guys. They just do not have the "support fellow brewers" mind set that the rest of he brewing community has. They don't care about their product as much as they care about their profits.
Watch Beer Wars and see how much they don't give a crap about the 'craft brew' world.
I know beer wars was made as a one sided argument, but that's just what opened my eyes to start doing my own research into their awfulness.

BMC's just doing what any company would if they could. Sam Adams just started sending us their line of bombers which are all 2 to 4 dollars less than the small guys and not nearly as good. Bombers always seemed to be the area for the small guys to still get margin on their bottles and now they've got some rough competition. With Boston beer's size and volume the only reason to play in that space at that price is market share.

Being from Eastern PA I grew up on Yuengling products. The other day I was at a bar and got a Yuengling Lager...... couldn't believe how average it seemed to be. I'm not saying it was bad, just nowhere near as as good as i used to think it was.

I've noticed the same thing about Yuengling. I still stand by it as my old faithful, and it still tastes great on a hot summer day, but it doesn't taste as good as I remember it. It also could be that I got a little burnt out on it when I was going through leaner times and it costs the same as BMC.

I lived in China for five years, and the standard beers there were absolute piss. Large proportion of rice in the grist, about 3% ABV and I suspect literally watered down. Back then Budweiser was a step up in flavor. I don't think bud is bad, just lacking. Never forget it could be MUCH worse. IMO however it's pretty easy to beat even with a simple extract recipe using some fresh ingredients, which is great because in Australia standard beer starts at about forty bucks a case cos of tax.

I won't have more than two Yuenlings. They give me terrible hangovers. As for Coors Light, when I was in college my friends jokingly called it their "driving beer." I prefer Banquet over Coors Light.

My wife drinks Miller Lite. My homebrewing buddy drinks Genesee as his go to beer when his kegs are low. When I'm not drinking craft beer, I'll drink Pabst.

Well, in Texas a six pack of Miller high life is anywhere from $7-$8. A six pack of Sam Adams, Avery, Boulevard, Sierra Nevada is $8.99. Now your still paying $10-$12 for the super duper good 4 packs or bombers, but at that price point i'm amazed people don't reach for the higher quality stuff more often. Not something that keeps me up at night, but it is worth noting. I know some states where the BMC is super cheap and that makes a little more sense.

How often are you propositioned by cases of beer?

lol, when beer starts talking to you, it is time to re-evaluate things.

How often is a free case of beer shoved at you? talking or otherwise?

I don't have the problem of people flinging cases of miller and PBR at me.

Back