I am a Homebrewer [video] Release

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I guess I'll piss on the parade...

The Brewing Network totally flamed it.

Whatever. Not everyone has to be into it. Some people always sit on the sidelines of things and make fun of other people because of what they are doing. That's fine. The people who are into it will like and, and those that aren't will batch about it on there little webcasts ;).

I do find it funny that a podcast with not that excellent sound and hosts that can't get a real broadcast job are making fun of us for low sound quality.

"Hey jag, I work as a patent engineer at a desk all day. I really don't care that much about my sound quality for a fun video tribute. And as for if you aren't producing professional quality videos you shouldn't post on youtube??? Have you ever been on youtube.com? It is the home of rank amateur video makers. Our video looks pro compared to most stuff on youtube. wierd"

I loved the video. I watched it twice and now feel like calling in sick to work so I can brew.

I was pretty disappointed in BN trashing the video. They only have a very small target market to start with and then they insult the largest online community of that market? Not very smart.

I posted the video on my facebook page. I'm sure the majority of my friends will not understand it. I need more friends that homebrew :)

Eric

How do I upload a video to my facebook. I haven't really used it since it has gone all crazy (after it expanded from the simple college only thing).

thanks

EDIT: Nevermind I figured it out. You just click the facebook link on the youtube video and it does it automatically.

Who's on the BN Sunday Session show? The host sounds like Justin, who I met at NHC 2008. He seemed like a good guy then, but comes across as a real prick in this episode.

I'll admit that I've never listened to this show before, and I probably never will again. I didn't hear anything about beer for the first 10 minutes and even then it was only mentioned in passing over the next 10-15 minutes. A 261 minute show? These guys don't really have the personalities to carry a show for 4+ hours. They'd be better off cutting out all of the crap, getting rid of the token chick and cutting the show down to the roughly 30-45 minutes of actual content that brewers are actually interested in.

I have a BN hop grenade tee shirt. I think I may go home and pee on it tonight. :D

I just posted it as a link on my wall. Or something. I don't really use FB either, except that does remind me that I need to play in my Scrabble game.

Here's my ugly mug:

00000182.png

Yeah dogfish head posted this on their facebook account today thanking all of the homebrewers!

Well there is a forum I won't have to waste anytime visiting.

Nice work on the video I really enjoyed it.

Just sent TBN an email...

Hey guys,
I love the brewing network. I love The Jamil Show, Brew Strong, and The Session. I think it is a fantastic service and I have learned so much from the shows.

I have never written and I am not a complainer, but I think you guys crossed the line today.

I am pretty disapointed with the commentary regarding the "I am a Homebrewer" video. Your commentary on the video came off as childish at best.

I had nothing to do with the production of the video. I am an only a member of the online community that put it together, HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.. Yes, the quality of the video wasn't on par as the I am a Craft Brewer Video. I agree. At the same time, your shows, albeit highly informative, have never been the highest production quality either. A few minutes after your commentary, you can hear your doorbell and your dog barking. Not a deal breaker for me, but don't call the kettle black. Your website is problematic and the the live feed has never been perfect either.

If you haven't been to homebrewtalk.com (HBT), you really should. It is a highly active, tight-knit online community of homebrewers. There are a ton of tutorials, videos, and great homebrewing information. I know that a lot of users on HBT listen to The Brewing Network and podcast the shows. The users are very helpful and patient and really want to help everyone to make great beer. I believe that the intent of the video was an homage, nothing more.

Someone on the show (I think it was Tasty) said "the people that you meet in this hobby are more important than anything else". Well, you guys just spent time on your show ripping apart the largest online community of homebrewers.

You have a very small target market and you just spent ten minutes ripping the largest online community of that target market. If you are truly interested in growing your listener base, this is not the way to do it.

I remember in one of the first episodes of the Session that Justin complained about how the homebrewer community was so close, until capitalism was involved. Well Justin, I wish you would spend less time burning bridges. I like your cause and I want to get behind it, but if you spend time criticizing homebrewtalk.com, I can't in good conscience promote the Brewing Network.

Eric

Great. Wish I would have found this thread yesterday, can't watch the video now as Youtube is blocked at work. I'll check it out later. Kudos to the guys who committed and were able to contribute in the filming and production.

I agree; if you really want to flame BN, you can always start a post in Drunken Ramblings or something. This isn't about whether or not they suck, it's about how we unquestionably rule :D

You know, just let the BN thing go.

If someone you disagree with is making an ass of themselves, then get out of the way.

Agreed. My issue with them wasn't that they trashed the video - to each their own. I have no connection to the video other than being a contributing member here.

My point was that the Sunday Session isn't much of a show at all. A bit OT, I know, but it was being discussed and linked to so I gave it a listen and contributed my $.02.

If someone you disagree with is making an ass of themselves, then get out of the way.

You are right.

I just got frustrated. I love HBT and TBN has, at times, lots of great info. It was frustrating to see some homebrewers bashing others. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I won't waste any more time on it.

I love the video though! I just signed up for a few overtime shifts to buy all grain equipment!

Eric

These guys don't really have the personalities to carry a show for 4+ hours. They'd be better off cutting out all of the crap, getting rid of the token chick and cutting the show down to the roughly 30-45 minutes of actual content that brewers are actually interested in.

But.....But the token chick said she is turned on by English accents!! :D :D

They must NOT ditch the token chick! She taught me all I know about brewing with woody adjuncts! (Such was the brewing content of that broadcast)

Main Entry: pas·tiche

Pronunciation:\pas-ˈtēsh, päs-\
Function:noun
Etymology:French, from Italian pasticcio
Date:1878

1: a literary, artistic, musical, or architectural work that imitates the style of previous work ; also : such stylistic imitation

2: a musical, literary, or artistic composition made up of selections from different works : potpourri b: hodgepodge
— pas·ti·cheur \ˌpas-tē-ˈshər, ˌpäs-\ noun

Well, British accents pretty much are the hottest thing ever.

While I don't mean this, I can't physically not say 'I'd like to show her my woody adjuncts.'

I never cared much for the BN anyway. I checked it all out a while back and there isn't nearly as much information being passed around, and the attitude is all in your face, and that is cool, but not helpful.

I guess they feel left out for not having been part of it, or maybe they see it as a sign of how large HBT is compared to BN.

Maybe they just didn't understand that it was put together by a whole bunch of different people across the nation on their own home cameras on their own time. I'm sure it would have been different if we could have got together and filmed it with professional equipment and lighting and mics. Oh well, I think it's awsum.

Oh, and I want to say thanks to Charlie P and John Palmer and Randy Mosher and the other writers who have given me the information and desire to craft my own homebrew. And special appreciation to all of the quality Craft Brewers out there who provide the liquid inspiration, and something to strive for each time I sample their beers.

I believe that the Craft brewers out there are the ones who are reaching for the stars in their craft, and pushing others to step outside the box and do something worthwhile. They inspire Homebrewers, who also help spread the word and get others interested in craft beer, and both will help elevate the hobby of homebrewing, and the business of craft brewing to new levels every year.

And of course to HBT for their help and support and for helping me get through each boring day at work, and for helping me never have enough time at home each night to get my sht done.

I think that BN is trying to compare it too much to the Craft brewer one which was professionally edited and mastered while the video done by the people here was done by amateurs. You guys don't have thousands of dollars of video editing equipment to synch the sound from frame to frame and to take out background noise.

I put up a post at BOV (or what BOV currently is, ie separate blogs for the two authors which will hopefully be merged, but that's neither here nor there), to promote it further, address a bit of what BN was saying (I really really think we all need to shut the hell up about it here because you're not doing us any favors) and also address my concerns with the video, because I think saying 'this is the greatest and most perfectest thing ever' (sidenote: perfectest is a word but sidenote isn't) is both untrue and just encourages blind devotion, neither of which are true or desired. Don't get me wrong: this thing is awesome, and I'm damn happy to have been a part. It's not perfect, though, because what is? And also, I wasn't a big fan (or a fan at all, really) of IAACB. I am a fan, though, of IAAHB :D

Oh, and they make fun of my audio specifically ///_- (that's my emo face)

I agree. A wiser man than myself (I forget who) once said:

"Never argue with an idiot - they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..."

I am super honored to have had any part at all in this...the only opinions I'm interested in come from HBT. I had the easy part of reciting some lines! The writers and editors deserve huge props for running it into the end-zone and getting it done.

:mug:

-Tripod

I think it warrants to mention what was echoed earlier: it was compiled by 22 strangers from 13 states. Additionally for those of you who have ever done post-production AV work will realize the hours that went into this 4:30 minute video-- too many.

So jamesnw did a hell of a job, and for a bunch of hacks that enjoy great beer and are not videographers by any stretch of the imagination, it is great.

The entire time I have been involved, my intent has always been for the "spirit" to shine through more than anything. It is the message afterall that is important! We must share OUR great beer, and RDWHAHB!

Prost!

Who's on the BN Sunday Session show? The host sounds like Justin, who I met at NHC 2008. He seemed like a good guy then, but comes across as a real prick in this episode.

I'll admit that I've never listened to this show before, and I probably never will again. I didn't hear anything about beer for the first 10 minutes and even then it was only mentioned in passing over the next 10-15 minutes. A 261 minute show? These guys don't really have the personalities to carry a show for 4+ hours. They'd be better off cutting out all of the crap, getting rid of the token chick and cutting the show down to the roughly 30-45 minutes of actual content that brewers are actually interested in.

I have a BN hop grenade tee shirt. I think I may go home and pee on it tonight. :D

+1 I met Justin in Cinci too and he seemed like a great guy too, but he really made an asshat out of himself with this Sunday show (which is pretty lame) that I never download or listen to in the first place. His rant about it starts at 21:57 into the show.

Perhaps a spoof on Justin's Sunday Session is in order.............

I agree. A wiser man than myself (I forget who) once said:

"Never argue with an idiot - they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..."

of course there's always the "never teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig"

Great video. I'm gonna film parts of my brew session this evening (if my starter actually starts :mad:) and play around with some editing to share with friends

Back