I added heavy cream to my wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How will this beer turn out?

• Move aside Sam Adams theres a new beer in town!

• Strange, not objectionable, what the heck am I drinking?

• Well its not harmful, maybe the frat house down the street wants it.

• Cheese-beer induced food poisoning

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love mad science, and I will taste just about anything once. If you pull this off, I think you deserve some sort of medal or trophy.

One time, I left some milk out of the fridge overnight. Curdled, sour, and spoiled. Fermented milk isn't something I'd drink on purpose!

(I don't like keffir, and the yogurt I eat is lacto fermented).

It won't hurt you, though, just taste terrible.

I thought you made solid fermented milk and actually eat it! You add a lot of salt though from what I've heard :)

As for the original experiment... sounds like it could work out, but if it curdles then you might be in a bad position. Heavy Cream is a ton of milk-fat though, and is close to lactose free.

The thought of opening my latest brew and dumping in some heavy cream is going to give me nightmares. I would recomend serving it slightly warm, especially on a hot summer's day. I could be totally wrong but I cant imagine this wont sour over time.

I voted that this beer will be the best thing in the world. Kudos on the fearless measure of cream.

I thought you made solid fermented milk and actually eat it! You add a lot of salt though from what I've heard :)

You bet I do! I use things like lactococcus lactis, lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris, lactococcus lactis subsp. biovar diacetylactis. Sounds gross, doesn't it? :D

But I do NOT add yeast and leave it at room temperature.

"Fermented" with lactobacillis is different than "spoiled", I'd say.

I dunno... This is pretty interesting actually. In theory if he boiled the cream the bacteria which would normally sour it should be dead. I'm not sure how pasteurized store milk is by comparison, but it might actually work. You can buy canned condensed milk, it doesn't ever go sour for lack of bacteria. I am intrigued. Of course we have yet to see a picture to verify the OP actually did what he said he did.

I dunno... This is pretty interesting actually. In theory if he boiled the cream the bacteria which would normally sour it should be dead. I'm not sure how pasteurized store milk is by comparison, but it might actually work. You can buy canned condensed milk, it doesn't ever go sour for lack of bacteria. I am intrigued. Of course we have yet to see a picture to verify the OP actually did what he said he did.

Hopefully today I will move it to the secondary, and there will be pictures! Still no sour smells or tastes to report, and its been a week. My plan is to skim all the junk off the top before I transfer.

I Am begininh to think my beer won't have enough cream taste since its all seperating out. I'm toying with idea of uping the alchol to around 15%and adding cream before bottling, just for a few bottles incase I ruin what the beer gods have thus far preserved from catasrophe.

Call me crazy, but wont the acidity of the beer curdle the cream, resulting in disgusting curds in your finished bottles?

acidrain23 said:
Call me crazy, but wont the acidity of the beer curdle the cream, resulting in disgusting curds in your finished bottles?

Crazy and correct. There are better ways to make beer cheese.

Hmm possibly so, some experimintation is in order. Is it too late to toss some milk sugar in there in search of my creamy flavor?

thejakester said:
Hmm possibly so, some experimintation is in order. Is it too late to toss some milk sugar in there in search of my creamy flavor?

No experimentation necessary. It will curdle.

I'm horrified yet intrigued. I am picturing a micro arms race going on between the bacteria that wants to get at the cow fat and the yeast. May the best microbe win!

This makes dogfishhead and their "off centered beers for off centered people" seem weak .... This is really out there but I'm hoping for a success

I think I just threw up.

Wishing you the best, expecting the worst.

I love cooking with cream and sauces, but fermenting cream...mm hmm.. Well at least you won't have to worry about head, just like in marriage, you can forget it.

Sounds Awesome!

If it curdles just filter out the curds and bottle it, then eat the cheese you made.

Bheese sounds like a bad idea as a drink but brilliant spread on crackers or melted over chilli dogs. Best of luck!

I Am begininh to think my beer won't have enough cream taste since its all seperating out. I'm toying with idea of uping the alchol to around 15%and adding cream before bottling, just for a few bottles incase I ruin what the beer gods have thus far preserved from catasrophe.

1/2 gallon of heavy cream and he's not done yet!:eek:

I love the mentality here! No "Did I ruin my beer?" in the noobie forum. Just "I put a buttload of cream in my beer...I think it needs more. :rockin:"

And here are the pics, It happened alright! If fact it might be the most creamy, banannay, beerish and delicious thing that ever happened.

The first is me skimming the cheese off
The second is what I skimmed off
The Third is the remains of the bananas I added as extra

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

I added a few pounds more sliced bananas to a cheese cloth and dropped it in the primary, along with a pound of lactose and a packet of champagne yeast in case the ale yeast is not able to raise the alcohol content to the desired 12-13%. To get everything jiving again, I added some more molasses and spices when I boiled up the lactose.

Back