I <3 bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
I know what you are thinking. What?!?! Kegging is superior!

After being told by several people to skip bottling and go straight to kegging, I still gave it a try.

8 or so cases of beer later and I must admit, the process is kinda therapeutic.

Wife also enjoys helping. She sanitizes and fills while I cap, stack, and stick the marker labels on the cap.

From start to finish the process takes about an hour or less with both of us working, including cleanup.

In the end, I can hand out my brew for others to try, take them with me when I go somewhere and don't have to dedicate space in my small home for a kegging system / fridge.

Still don't understand what the fuss is all about.

Perhaps the bottle Vinator, tree and bench capper makes the task much easier and more enjoyable?

Am I alone when it comes to bottling?

No, I agree on the theraputic thing. To me it's more of a sense of doneness. I do like having bottles to share, and to rack up on the shelves. But kegging is in my very near future I'm about to buy ten and build two different bar set ups, both with bar guns for soda. (one for the basement and one for the patio) I will still bottle though, I do 6 gallon or bigger batches and I think all that's not fitting in the keg will get bottled.

I too find joy in bottling. I do keg for mass gatherings. You are not alone.

I have a keg system and also enjoy bottling.

The kegged beer always goes so fast and I like to conserve my bottles. I also prefer the taste of a naturally carbonated bottled beer to kegged beer.

No, I agree on the theraputic thing. To me it's more of a sense of doneness. I do like having bottles to share, and to rack up on the shelves. But kegging is in my very near future I'm about to buy ten and build two different bar set ups, both with bar guns for soda. (one for the basement and one for the patio) I will still bottle though, I do 6 gallon or bigger batches and I think all that's not fitting in the keg will get bottled.

I agree. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing the finished product, knowing that you created it from start to finish.

I enjoy bottling as well. Set up with my computer chair at the table and bottle away. I brew and bottle late at night so it is a my time thing for me. I put on the headphones and just ignore the world for a bit :p

Enjoying a homebrew while bottling is also a must.

Just be careful not to over do it. I found an empty bottle with a cap on it the other day. True story.

My son also enjoys bottling, maybe a little too much.

IMG_0883.jpg

I don't mind it. I do enjoy being able to pour a cold glass of beer from my taps. I often just want a half a glass in the evening, or a bit of this and a bit of that.

But bottling is not a big deal. After you get a process down it's easy and it's good time spent with my young one who has moved up to not only handing me bottles to fill, but to actually pressing the caps on as well.

For me, bottling is simply another "stage" in the process of turning malted barley, water, hops and yeast into something quite tasty and definitely MORE than the sum of its parts. Since I view it as only a "stage" in the process, I don't get hung up on it, and do find it theraputic, as others have mentioned. I do NOT have the equipment to keg, so I am locked into bottles, and I rather like it that way.

glenn514:mug:

I like bottling, of course I have not started kegging yet so I'm not sure what I am missing. I bottle in bombers so it is less work, plus I usually drink at least a pint at a time anyway.

Back