Hydromiter Readings, Hot corrected vs Cooled calibrated.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stillraining

Reaction score
OK we brewed last Sunday and did the experiment that I promised in another thread. I thought others may find this information useful so I wanted to make it easier to find on its own if it was searched for..

The challenge was to Myth Bust rather Hot Corrected Hydrometer readings were so inaccurate as to render them useless or untrustworthy...here are the results.

IR measurements........................Corrected to 60.........Actual 60 readings

1st running's......1.066 @ 113...............1.077...................1.080

2nd running's.... 1.020 @ 129................1.031..................1.030

3rd running s.....1.004 @ 129.................1.016.................1.015

Pre-Boil............ 1.030 @ 116................1.039.................1.040

Post boil............1.035 @ 127................1.047.................1.048

So there are some slight inconsistencies and its not linear... The higher gravity wort seemed to show the greatest variation. A .003 differential in the corrected vs calibrated readings does translate into a fair discrepancy at about a 0.4% ABV so if your brewing big beers this is a significant if your a Need to Know kind of person. However a .001 differential at a higher frequency brewed beer around the .045 to .055 range translates into around a 0.13 % ABV difference. This still wont be close enough for the Analytical type brewer, but personally for a non meticulous guy like me I will never wait for samples to cool ever again. IR readings hot and later corrected are Close enough for me.

Did we succeed in the myth bust...not really, there is a respectable difference...But I believe with enough experiments one would dial in exactly what that difference would be on a repeatable consistent basis over a spectrum of Gravity's and temperatures to render it inconsequential. One take-a-way is the hot readings were pretty much all consistently low, so your actually getting slightly better outcomes then the corrected measured numbers tell you....something comforting anyway. The bottom line is that they are totally usable and trustworthy to a point.

For me the lazy brewer, the speed and simplicity at which I can obtain my readings far out weighs the time and hassle it takes to cool to a specific degree too get dead on numbers..YMMV

OH... one more take-a-way..My last 3.8% Lawn Mower beer is actually a 3.9% No wonder my lines were not as straight last mow... I'm more polluted then I thought ...:tank:

Hope you found this at least interesting.

IMG_1021.jpg

Did you plot them? The lower gravity readings are slightly high, with the higher ones being lower. I think you could draw a reasonable straight line thru the differences.

I've started using a refractometer while brewing; no messing with temp correction, and only small amounts of wort.

Hey Calder...I'm no math guy..I would not even know how to set that graph up.

I own a refractometer but haven't even read the directions...I heard they are not for post boil usage is that correct?

Hey Calder...I'm no math guy..I would not even know how to set that graph up.

I own a refractometer but haven't even read the directions...I heard they are not for post boil usage is that correct?

No - they can be used, but you have to correct for the alcohol in the sample so you need to know the initial gravity too.

Plenty of calculators out there for this, for example:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/

Well maybe I will have to open the dang box and give the thing a go. Thanks

ON second thought I might just stay with what im doing now....I found this on the link you gave me.

Cheap refractometers are not very consistent measurement to measurement from the same wort. I take 5+ measurements then average the value before recording. The variance is +/- 10% either way! What a joke. You get what you pay for and this unit was a gift.

I'm WAY closer then 20% accuracy correcting hot wort with a hydrometer.. All my samples get returned to the pot sans one , so not really a big loss issue for me.

Refractometers are great before fermentation. After that, with the presence of alcohol you need to calculate a correction. How inaccurate the calculators are is debatable. But it will not be exact.

While interesting the measurements in the test show variance both positive and negative. I don't think you can make any conclusions from that. If you ran 50 - 100 more tests to get a good average then maybe the information would be useful. To me a difference of .001 - .003 is within the range of error in reading the scale.

Well maybe I will have to open the dang box and give the thing a go. Thanks

ON second thought I might just stay with what im doing now....I found this on the link you gave me.

Cheap refractometers are not very consistent measurement to measurement from the same wort. I take 5+ measurements then average the value before recording. The variance is +/- 10% either way! What a joke. You get what you pay for and this unit was a gift.

I'm WAY closer then 20% accuracy correcting hot wort with a hydrometer.. All my samples get returned to the pot sans one , so not really a big loss issue for me.

Try using it at the same time you use your hydrometer. You will eventually get used to it. It took me a while, but I now use it pre-fermentation, but always use hydrometer post fermentation.

+/- 10% is 10% accurate, not 20%.

I get repeatable measurements from rhe same wort.

Try using it at the same time you use your hydrometer. You will eventually get used to it. It took me a while, but I now use it pre-fermentation, but always use hydrometer post fermentation.

+/- 10% is 10% accurate, not 20%.

I get repeatable measurements from rhe same wort.

Ha...well like I said, I'm no math guy..:D...Thanks though.

Back