Hydrometer Samples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
Do you guys every clean your hydrometer with starsan and float it in your bucket and/or BK to take a reading?

Nope, seems to me it's hard enough to read the meniscus holding the hydro jar up to my eyeline, let alone trying to read in in a bucket, especially with foam or krausen floating around it.

Right, I hate how it hangs on the sides of the tube though. Sampling is really something I have to work on.

I do when I'm trying to get a ballpark number to figure out if I can raise the temp for a diacytel rest. It's easy enough to read within a couple points. I also use a finishing hydrometer which has much wider graduations.

If you float your hydrometer in the bucket, the sample you drink is awfully small. Put it in a tube to read the hydrometer and you have to drink it as it is a potential infection to pour it back into the fermenter so you have to drink it.

I keep both my test jar and hydrometer sanitized until I use them, rarely do I dump the sample back in but I have before.

Back