Hydrometer reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie69

Reaction score
I have no clue on how to read a hydrometer,I thought i could figure it out but I'm not sure what I'm reading.

On the first reading before fermentation It read 60 (on the beer scale). I just took a reading before transferring it to my secondary and the reading was right in the middle of 1.000 and 0.990. How should I be reading this hydrometer? I'm using an Alla triple scale,which scale should I be using? What kind of hydrometer is recommended for cider and mead.

Sounds like you had an Original Gravity (OG) of 1.060, and a Final Gravity (FG) of 0.995. That is a 65 point drop, and your Alcohol By Volume (%ABV) is about 8.65%. The formula is (OG - FG) * 133.

Here is a video on hydrometer reading:

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Watch the video above
2. The readings will be around 1.000 - 1.1000, a normal ale would be maybe (1.045 OG) and (1.010 FG)
3. Make sure you correct for the temperature using an online hydrometer temperature correction calculator.

Back