Hydrometer Questions (and Misc. ?'s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zav3nd

Reaction score
More of confirmations but posing them as a question to hopefully get answers or experience.

(Assuming you want to be "exact" on abv.)
-When you top up with the same water you used for starting the batch, does a new hydrometer reading need to be taken?
-- A set of math that needs to be applied?

-How far off could your abv calculate if you don't compensate (assuming compensation is needed) for water top-up?

-Do you top up with water or something else? Is there a cutoff for when you wont top up any longer? Do you top up a few days before bottling to ensure you have enough to fill X (5/gal?) bottles?

And lastly, a more focused question on my current predicament.

I somewhat need to clear up a carboy to rack things into a clean carboy. I currently have a traditional mead started back in Mid October, its been clear for the past month. Should I bottle that to get my clean jug, or continue to let it sit?

The alternative I was thinking is racking into a food grade bucket, cleaning a carboy, racking into the newly clean/sanitized carboy for secondary.

Trying to avoid adding another carboy because empty carboys tempt me to put something in it.

Back