Hydrometer question -- Sterilization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good practice to sanitize everything that may come in contact with your wort.

Most people drink the sample --

But, make sure your sample collection device (thief, turkey baster, etc) is sanitized.

Also, notice how I'm saying sanitize and not sterilize? There is a difference.

I've never heard of and never have sanitized my hydrometer. If taking preboil readings I just dump the sample back in the brew pot and it gets boiled. When taking a reading going into the carboy I dump that sample. And when taking samples from the carboy I drink that sample. I would never put a sample back into the carboy, sanitized instruments or not.

You don't need to sanitize the hydrometer unless you are taking a reading directly from your primary. If using something outside of your primary to measure in, do NOT pour the beer back in the primary. You can drink it though. It will taste late flat beer.

Yeah, those instructions are for people who just drop the hydro in their primary bucket...like me!

Kilted...are you only taking preboil OG, or do you do a post boil reading as well? cuz...as you boil, gravity increases due to evaporation.

or do you just do preboil and then do the math to get the post-boil OG?

merely curious :)

See that's what I thought. Instructions I read for using a hydrometer were like... sanitize the thief, the hydrometer, the tube, everything.

Put it this way. If you have some Iodophor or Star San already mixed up, put everything in for a sani-bath. Necessary? Nope- only the thief needs to be sanitized as you putting this into the wort to draw a sample. The test jar and hydrometer needn't be sanitized. Whatever you do, DON'T dump your sample back in- drink it.

See that's what I thought. Instructions I read for using a hydrometer were like... sanitize the thief, the hydrometer, the tube, everything.

When I am explaining brewing to someone, or answering questions on a forum, my rule is:

you cannot over emphasize sanitizing. There is no such thing as telling a new brewer too many times that things need to be sanitzed. Once they have a couple brews under their belts or are just quick enough on the uptake to figure it all out, they can realize when it isn't necessary for themselves. But until then, I am going to recommend that EVERYTHING is sanitized. Short of dipping your dog, wife and kids in Starsan, you cannot be clean enough.

I've never heard of and never have sanitized my hydrometer. If taking preboil readings I just dump the sample back in the brew pot and it gets boiled. When taking a reading going into the carboy I dump that sample. And when taking samples from the carboy I drink that sample. I would never put a sample back into the carboy, sanitized instruments or not.

Agree 'cause sample goes in tummy!

Seriously, tasting your wort/beer at each stage will give you a much quicker education in what you're making. Sanitize whatever it is you use to pull the sample, be that a thief or turkey baster with hose on it, or whatever. Don't worry about the sample jar and hydrometer, though if you have sanitizer out, it won't hurt them!

What is a good way to sanitize the thief or turkey baster before drawing a sample for testing? I know you could mix up some cbrite but at the moment I don't have any and would have to run out to the store to get some. Is there a sanitizing solution that can be made from something I might already have in the kitchen? Maybe boil the turkey baster for a few mins?

Welcome to HBT rhody!

In a pinch you can mix a cap full of bleach with a gallon of water to sanitize your baster. Leave it in the bleach water for 10 -15 minutes, then rinse the heck out of the baster. The problem with using bleach water is that you have to rinse after you sanitize or it will give you an off flavor. It will work in a pinch but not ideal. It is best to get a no rinse sanitizer like Star San.

Thanks for the welcome! I have only brewed 2 batches before and that was a few years ago but now I got the itch again so I am brewing up a batch of IPA this afternoon, my 3 year old daughter is excited to help. I think the last time I made any was before she was born.

I'm sure you'll be seeing more of me in the future.

I never santize my hydrometetr because it never comes in contact with the wort in the carboy. I sanitize the hydrometer reader which i will dunk in the carboy.

I never have worry about sanitizing my hydrometer or test jar because I's a drinker, I'll drink it like it was a glass of beer because it is (after it's fermented.) Some people do put it back in and have good results but it may very well contaminate a batch sooner or later.

Back