hydrometer OG experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwardsman

Reaction score
After pouring my wort in my primary I took the small amount of liquid left in my kettle on top of the trub and took a reading it was around 1.07. So I took that wort I measured and filtered it thru a coffee filter and got the same reading. Any ideas what the reason is that it was so high? Og should have been around 1.04

Was it a full boil, or a recipe that calls for a partial boil with top off water? If it was not a full boil then that is your answer.

Not sure what you're meaning sorry its only my 3 brew it was a Irish red ale kit from northern brewer. Which I kept at a boil throughout

Let's look at it this way.

1. Did you add water to the fermenter along with the boiled wort?
2. Was the OG 1040, after you added water to the boiled wort?
3. If you answer yes to #1 & 2. The Grav. of the wort boiled in the kettle will be higher than the Grav. reading after adding top off water to the boiled wort. The wort is more dense in the boiler. Less dense after thinning it down.

You pickin up what I'm throwin down?

Some extract recipes call for steeping and boiling only a small part of the total volume of the batch size. Then, before pitching the yeast, you top off the batch with additional water to make the batch size up to full volume.

Because you only actually boil pat of the whole batch, this is called a Partial Boil.

What beergoff is asking is whether this was a Partial Boil kit or not. If you didn't top off a partial boil recipe, that would account for the fact that the OG is nearly twice what you excepted.

Vlad I smell what your dropping. Ian I poured it straight from the boiled wort when I tested it so no water dilution. Thanks for yalls help I was thinking it was trub particals making it so high explain the filtering I didn't think about the water dilution being the reason thanks

Vlad I smell what your dropping. Ian I poured it straight from the boiled wort when I tested it so no water dilution. Thanks for yalls help I was thinking it was trub particals making it so high explain the filtering I didn't think about the water dilution being the reason thanks

I don't think you're getting this. I did not ask if you diluted your sample, I asked if your diluted your batch.

Was 1.040 the intended gravity or did you measure this IN THE FERMENTER?

Was the 1.070 measured just from the of your boil kettle sample?

Did you add water to the batch in the fermenter?

Th hops and dust will not have much of an effect on the gravity as they are NOT dissolved in the water and have no effect on the density of the water.

I don't think you're getting this. I did not ask if you diluted your sample, I asked if your diluted your batch.

Was 1.040 the intended gravity or did you measure this IN THE FERMENTER?

Was the 1.070 measured just from the of your boil kettle sample?

Did you add water to the batch in the fermenter?

Th hops and dust will not have much of an effect on the gravity as they are NOT dissolved in the water and have no effect on the density of the water.

The intended gravity was 1.04. I did dilute the batch in the fermenter, but I didn't take a reading from that. I took the sample straight from the boil kettle.

The intended gravity was 1.04. I did dilute the batch in the fermenter, but I didn't take a reading from that. I took the sample straight from the boil kettle.

That's why it's so high then.

If you added water to the fermenter, it would change the SG.

Like this. Say you had 1.080 in the boil kettle, and 2.5 gallons of wort. You added 2.5 gallons of water to the fermenter. Water has an SG of 1.000.

That means 2.5 gallons of 1.080 wort, and 2.5 gallons of 1.000 water. That equals 5 gallons of 1.040 wort.

You are supposed to take the OG (original gravity) of your finished wort, once any water is added, and then mixed well. The gravity of the wort in the pot is immaterial.

Back