Hydrometer in fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
Does anyone put the hydrometer in the fermentation bucket to measure the specific gravity? Seems like its easier to do that then to take out some of the beer. Also doesn't waste any beer. Of course I spray StarSan on the hydrometer. I'm also considering leaving the hydrometer in the bucket so I don't have to keep taking it out, cleaning it, then sanitizing every day. Any issues with that?

Not anymore, broken hydrometer not worth it. I suggest pulling sample to check your SG. A wise man learns from others' mistakes.

I don't favor placing a hydrometer in the FV for a few reasons primarily related to accuracy. These include.

1. Bubbles and yeast/hop debris will often obscure the view of the hydrometer's scale
2: Not possible to optimally view the hydrometer/meniscus interface at eye level
3: The wort temperature is not equal to the hydrometer's calibration temperature
4: The lid must be removed to take a reading increasing the potential for oxygen exposure
5: If leaving the hydrometer in the wort for prolonged periods as some do CO2 bubbles will adhere to the glass adding an upward buoyancy force. Also with leaving it in, any settling trub can settle on the shoulder of the instrument creating a downward force.

All small details but added up can lead to significant measurement error. If I am going to record data I want it to be as accurate as possible.

My process:

• Pop off carboy top and airlock
  • Collect sample with sanitized SS turkey baster in a test jar
  • Replace carboy cap and airlock
  • Place hydrometer in sample
  • Cool sample and hydrometer to calibration temperature
  • Remove and reinsert hydrometer once at the target temperature to remove any bubbles adhering
  • Measure gravity and record.

Very repeatable and accurate.

OG and FG (recent example)
attachment.php

Sample and hydrometer at correct temperature
attachment.php

Calibration temperatures vary depending on the hydrometer.

attachment.php

Thanks for the tip on different hydrometers having different specs on temp. I had just assumed that mine was a 60 degree hydrometer and made my measurements at those temps. As it turns out, it was, but I'm glad I know now.

Back